Size or Strength?

LOL!! That is funny Rafael! Straight out of the B.F. handbook for beginners!

By the way, I would love to add another 10-15 pounds and just work on strength. At 5'10" or so, I don't want to really be much more than 200 pounds. I still feel good now, but I have a feeling anything more than the 200 mark, and I'll be going beyond my "natural" weight. OK, OK... so average is probably like 160 for my height according to regular doctors, but being a muscular 200 is much different.

I also don’t think I could get much beyond 200 if I wanted to without the help of illegal drugs (Ain’t gonna happen).

If you want to defend yourself, buy a gun. If you want to improve your physique, bodybuild. In this modern world there simply is not much use for brute strength.

what about both. Being totally natural i hate it when some guy( roided)is bigger or stronger or both. U can’t have your pie and eat it , but i believe it is possible to be lean and strong , but totally strong all over bench squat deadlift , running , flexibility .

I’m not a very big guy (5’9", 172, and have no idea what my body fat percentage is–probably around 18%) At this point, I just want to be able to take off my shirt at the pool and not have to suck in my gut. My goal is to reach 180-185 with BF of 10%. So, while I do want to add some size to my frame, becoming stronger and more fit is more important to me right now. Also, I am married, just like a lot of other gymrats here, so trying to get women to notice me is of no consideration. (Still, that doesn’t keep me from looking at the “hotties!”)
I currently train for strength and fat loss.

Size. But I do like being able to carry 8 bags of groceries at the same time.

Most so called bodybuilders are relative weaklings. When I started training way back when with men like Ernie Frantz and Bill Seno who competed in bodybuilding and powerlifting at the national level I was definitely impressed and still train with both size and strength as the goal.

OK fellas, get ready to cuss me out for this one: to my married old ass, training to impress women is one of the highest forms of bitchery (that’s a word, honest…)around. It’s lame to think of how far guys will go just for a shot at a stinky hole. Yeah, when I was single I wanted to get laid like everybody else but I never stepped into the gym solely for the sake of ass. Doing so seems tainted to me, no different than complacently taking shit from your boss, wife, life, etc…big or strong, train for yourself, don’t let the poon be your pimp and master. Maybe I’ve just forgotten what the thrill of the chase feels like but they’re something pitiful about watching guys glancing longingly at chicks between sets. Attack the fucking iron and chase trim on your spare time!!! When I die I want to be as a guy who did it “my way”, not somebody who hoed himself for some women who probably don’t give a shit about me as soon as I nut. And yes, I’m straight, so don’t tell me to attend sensitivity classes or get my T checked…

I agree with Jeff D. I think some people misunderstood what I was trying to get across. It’s my fault though.
I didn’t start for the sole reason of being able to “toss it up” with some girl. Nor do I think I would love lifting and its effects on my physique if I started for that reason. I started lifting, and only lifting, in order to peform better for football. I started training for a nice physique for both confidence, and yes, I’m not ashamed to say, partially to attract women. But attracting women played a very small role. Most of it, to me, is inexplicable. I just have an urge to lift. I love it. Still, I’ve had former friends who trained solely for the idea of attracting a women and getting laid. Sure, it helped to some degree but once they started dating the girl, they quite training. This, quite frankly, sickens me and I don’t wish to be associated with people like that. It’s obvious they didn’t love lifting. I train rain or shine, sleet or snow, hoes or no hoes. :slight_smile: I train because I love to. However, if it helps to bring in more cat, I have no objections. That’s all I have to say on this subject. Thank you and good night. :slight_smile:

very well put cy.

Chris G.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the reason that hot girls are often (and I don’t even consider that to be a common occurence) with fat guys isn’t because they (the guys) are nice. The reason is because they like knowing that they (the girls) are the superior member of the relationship, and that they wield the power, and that they don’t have to worry about having him cheat on them. Of course, there is also the option that he buys her stuff, and she goes and cheats on him when she gets horny. But it mostly comes down to some sort of insecurity in the girl if she is dating someone physically “below her station”. Sorry, that ‘sensitive’ guy theory is nice, though.

I’d have to say a nice mix of both, although I guess I’m never going to scare anyone with my strength levels!

But for the most part, I’d like to at least be able to back up some of the “look” with some real strength. If I had to choose one, I’d go with a lean, symmetrical physique over a super-strong but “heavy” look.

When I was in my mid-teens I wanted to look like the pro bodybuilders, but now that I’m a little older and wiser, I much prefer an athletic look. Plus you can actually play sports, which I like. Have you ever seen pictures of some of the pro bodybuilders trying to shoot hoops? It’s good for a laugh!

i train for strength and size as well as just for the love of lifting. at my age i have come to realize that balance in life is very important. i like most of you T-men want to look good but i also want to be strong. i dont have to be the strongest guy in the gym and i dont have to be the best built either but i want a balance between the two. and contrary to what the Libertarian says strength does play a functional role in life. the stronger you are the easier anything physical will be. if you have a job that is physical in nature you’ll need some power as well as stamina. when you and some dumpy guy pick something up on a construction site together and you can’t pull your end of the load i’m positive your foreman won’t give a rats ass how pretty you are. or when that skinny guy can bust those bolts loose and you can’t i’m sure the boss is gonna say “well jeez lets keep him around cuzz he’s so well built and defined.” balance guys, makes the world go round.

I’d have to say strength is most important for me. I mean being only 185lbs and having the ablility to deadlift, and clean more than some 250lbs behemoth in the gym feels really good. Plus contrary to what the Libertarian said about strength not being important in this day an age. Do you think if a guy picks a fist fight with you, your gonna shoot him in self defense? HAH, yeah right, your family would be visiting you in jail. There is still plenty of room in this world for physical self defense, and that often requires strength. Of course avoiding a fight in the first place is always best but some times you can’t . Going back to the debate I do ocasionaly adjust my workout so I don’t start to look funny if a particular bodypart gets a little out of proportion.

So, its mostly strength and a wee bit of bodybuilding so as not to look like a lop-sided freak.

Strength. It’s nice to be able to pick your wife up and toss her around in bed. And sometimes I do my own wife, too. But I’ve found that the best way to improve in strength is to alternate high reps with low reps during training cycles. Funny, that’s the best way to train for size too. So I guess I want both. How’s that for fence sitting?

Getting Chicks? I forgot about that part, besides it never worked for me being the naturally ugly bastard that I am. However if that is why you want to train, go right the hell ahead. As far as chicks liking nice guys? My ass, I have never seen that shit work because nice guys are a push over and ,hence, uninteresting. Besides, I seldom see hot chicks with fat ass ugly guys. That’s probably because I live in Georgia and most of the chicks share a set of teeth, (just kidding, there are some hot ones). Aside from that chicks like to be treated like chicks, no more, no less. If you are too nice, they get bored and fuck your best friend. If you are to mean, they leave or become your slave. Neither method is good, but nice guys tend to get screwed over on a regular basis. I think the best thing is to be yourself. Let the women change you, because they will try and succeed to some degree. So training to be aesteticly(sp?) pleasing is a perfectely valid reason to train. I train just to here the interesting noises I tend to make under a heavy weight.

I also like both, each for it’s own reason. I like to be strong because despite what some people have said there is a place for brute strength still. I hunt big game and pack in on horses. Loading and unloading your gear, packing out a quarter of an elk or a whole deer at 5000 feet in the mountains is much easier if you have some power and endurance. It also helps skiing, I can ski longer and faster with good leg strength than without it…and you get hurt less when you take a tumble if you’re not a gumby.

I also like looking good, even though it doesn't get me laid any more frequently I do like the look in my wife's eyes when she's admiring my build. I also don't mind catching other women looking me over either. It's good to turn the tables on them every once in a while. I'm 41 and a month ago I was refilling my water bottle in the gym, as I turned around I caught a woman...maybe 24 or so...just about drooling looking at me. I must have turned around faster than she expected because she sure was embarrassed that I saw. Stuff like that makes a guy's day.

None of you T-Men out there should ever, ever feel the need to apologize or explain yourself because you lift to get more pussy. Without going into a full discussion on the meaning of life, all I can say is that it’s completely natural to want to impress females. Depending on what type of female you’re after, where you go to look for these women, how much variety you need, and how strong your libido is, you must adapt the proper behaviors to suit your particular interests. Right now I prefer to have sex with a variety of hot women, preferably ones with very nice bodies, and I don’t really care if they have what it takes to be the mother of my children. So I go to bars and clubs where these women hang out, and I can tell you one thing…they aren’t looking around and saying, “damn, girl…that guy over there looks soooo nice; I bet he’s really sensitive.” They’re saying, “goddammmmnn…that guy is hot…look at his ass, I’m gonna go talk to him.” And then eventually you talk to them, and if you can manage to be intelligent and charming, they will probably subtly squeeze your arm or do something to confirm that yes, you do have a kick-ass body, and yes, that is a small wet spot forming in her panties. If you like to have sex with hot women, having a great body really helps. If you’re already married, that’s cool too.

I think that if I had to pick just one of the two I would pick strength. So far as chicks digging it, I don’t think you have to be too big to attract girls. I know a lot of chicks who go for the 185lbs super lean look anyway. I’m currently 215lbs at 5’10" with 10% bodyfat so I look a little on the thick side. while I do know girls who think I have a nice big manly body I also know girls who think I would look better if I was smaller. So I figure you’ll find someone who likes your body type either way. I have to say though that their is something so gratifying about lifting a really heavy weight. I just love the feeling. I know this doesn’t impress most girls either as anyting over 200lbs looks heavy to them. So strength for me thank you.