T Nation

Size of The Universe

I don’t know if many other people have seen this but I thinks it’s pretty cool.

Nice one, man. Dig it.

Makes one feel insignificant. Also shows that man is capable of extraordinary findings.

It says that the universe is estimated to be 930Ym. But the observable universer is only 140Ym. Is it estimated to be bigger because they think we arent at the center or just because we dont have the capability to see further? Im confused there.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
It says that the universe is estimated to be 930Ym. But the observable universer is only 140Ym. Is it estimated to be bigger because they think we arent at the center or just because we dont have the capability to see further? Im confused there. [/quote]

I’m positive someone will be able to explain much better than I can but I believe it has to do with us not being able to empirically determine exactly how large the universe is and the estimation of the size is an educated guess.

We can only see only the light that has reached us from the farthest parts of the universe. However, scientists know that the universe is expanding. The velocity cap in the universe is the speed of light but there is one thing that can surpass it: space itself. If the space expands faster than the speed of light, then there will be some parts of the universe that we will never be able to see.

And yes, the 930Ym is just an estimate because for all we know, the universe can be infinite in size. Just the light from the further parts has not reached us (or never will in some cases).

This is going to be a good thread. I love this shit.

So if we had better equipment we’d be able to see 93 billion light years away?

If they believe that then why do they say that the universe is only 14 billion years old. Wouldnt it have to be older if it was that much bigger? Im getting more confused thinking about it. shit

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
We can only see only the light that has reached us from the farthest parts of the universe. However, scientists know that the universe is expanding. The velocity cap in the universe is the speed of light but there is one thing that can surpass it: space itself. If the space expands faster than the speed of light, then there will be some parts of the universe that we will never be able to see.

And yes, the 930Ym is just an estimate because for all we know, the universe can be infinite in size. Just the light from the further parts has not reached us (or never will in some cases). [/quote]

Ohh ok. I didnt know that space could expand that much faster than light.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

amazing. and mind boggling

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

If they believe that then why do they say that the universe is only 14 billion years old. Wouldnt it have to be older if it was that much bigger? Im getting more confused thinking about it. shit[/quote]

There are theories that the edge of the universe expanded at rate MUCH greater than the speed of light at the onset of the big bang, because areas in space-time that are not transmitting information to another point of space-time are not constrained to the limits of physics as we know them(no light to transmit to other areas of space = no information to transmit, although that still leaves a ton of questions about non-observable shit and … ya physics is weird)

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

If they believe that then why do they say that the universe is only 14 billion years old. Wouldnt it have to be older if it was that much bigger? Im getting more confused thinking about it. shit[/quote]

It would be impossible to see things that were 93 billion light years away. Even if we had better equipment it would be impossible due to the fact that it would take 93 billion years for the light to reach us. Sure, we might one day develop the technology but there would be nothing to see as the light would not have reached us yet.

They believe that the universe is 14 billion years old due to the Hubble constant. The Hubble constant is a constant that determines how fast an object (such as a distant galaxy) is acclerating away from us. The farther the object is, the faster the acceleration. Now, the Hubble constant has the units of 1/time (although usually used in units of (km/s)/Mpc - a Mpc is a Megaparsec, a parsec is about 3 light years if I remember correctly). Since the universe is expanding (due to the objects accelerating away from us), there had to be a time when the universe was much, much smaller (Big Bang and all that). In order to obtain this time, you just divide 1 by the Hubble constant (1/(1/time) = time) and you end up with a value of around 14 billion years. Tada.

[quote]ulysses22023 wrote:
Makes one feel insignificant.[/quote]

Yeah, life’s just not worth living what with stars being all big and shit.

(I stole that from another thread on the very same topic a few years ago.)

It would suck if we found the edge of the universe and realized there was nothing else out there. Seriously.

^^^ Whoa!

What more do you want?

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]ulysses22023 wrote:
Makes one feel insignificant.[/quote]

Yeah, life’s just not worth living what with stars being all big and shit.

(I stole that from another thread on the very same topic a few years ago.)[/quote]

Ironically the guy who said that hasn’t been heard of since…I hope he’s ok

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
It would suck if we found the edge of the universe and realized there was nothing else out there. Seriously.[/quote]

Seriously. What more are you hoping for? We dont even know 1/1000th of what goes on in the universe that we do know exists let alone what goes on in parts we havent seen/theorized about/calculated on. I just hope someone out there has giant robots, but ones that dont want to kill us like in War of the Worlds or the Matrix…

I remember seeing this a couple of weeks ago. Made me realise how difficult it actually is to imagine the difference in scale between the smallest, the “observable” and the greatest.

However, there is one mistake there. With the age of the universe being 14 BY the radius of the observable universe is actually closer to 50 BLY due to space itself expanding. Doesn’t really matter much here, the app is still amazing.

B.

[quote]Htowner wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
It would suck if we found the edge of the universe and realized there was nothing else out there. Seriously.[/quote]

Seriously. What more are you hoping for? We dont even know 1/1000th of what goes on in the universe that we do know exists let alone what goes on in parts we havent seen/theorized about/calculated on. I just hope someone out there has giant robots, but ones that dont want to kill us like in War of the Worlds or the Matrix…[/quote]

I’m hoping for other planets that can support life in the same way this one does, with a universe that can be infinitely explored. Chances are the human race won’t reach survive that long, but hey, that’s not the point.

I saw a documentary the other night that showed how comets are composed of a lot of ice, which essentially means that if a comet was to land on another planet with a similar climate, there is a good chance that the water could start life elsewhere - at least that was the theory.

Comet’s could also be used a “refueling stations” in long distance space travel since they contain certain elements that could be used as energy.