T Nation

Size Loss In Only 3 Weeks?

About 3 weeks ago I measured my arms right before I had to take a break & they were 19-1/4" after a workout.

I had to take off for 3 weeks & my body weight stayed the same. This is my 1st week back & when I remeasured I lost a 1/2" to 3/4" on my arms & lost alot of strenght in this short time. I’m really sore like normal when starting up again but the that much loss??? (No I didn’t measure wrong before the break)That’s a huge loss! Has anyone else had this happen? Can it be I can’t flex or get as good of a pump because of the soreness???

Also my goal is to hit 20-1/2" to 20-3/4" arms & put size on my traps & shoulders (which are problem areas for me)is there any supplements out there that would help assist me in reaching my goal? Thanks!

well 3 weeks is almost a month. its nothing to stress over itll be back before you know it

[quote]TheButcher69 wrote:
is there any supplements out there that would help assist me in reaching my goal? Thanks![/quote]

trying not to be an ass, but don’t you think “helping to assist you” is a bit redundant?

Of course you’ll lose size after 3 weeks. I hope it was an injury that made you miss that much gym time because 3 weeks is too much time off.

ANything involving weights, bodyweight and strength is extremely frustrating. Basically by enrolling into the strength/size game you ahve embarked on an extremely steep, never ending hill.

In the same analogy, if you stop you are going to roll back. Luckily ‘muscle memory’ or as I like to call it, improved dedication ina short burst will get it back in no time. Good luck man.

-As far as supps: surely if you ahve 19" guns you already knwo the drill. I thougth ZMA was good when I went on it, purely for the sleep benefits.

When you are frequently working out your body is always pumping more blood through the muscles to keep repairing.

When you stop working out your body doesn’t do this so much.

I believe that would explain the minor loss you experienced.

Your muscles aren’t made of rock, you know! they are a dynamic organism.

The blood usually goes around your gut area more, giving the double whammy of bigger tummy smaller muscles. But it should only be slight changes.

By the way, you should be measuring your muscles:

• after a few weeksbreak
  • relaxed
  • first thing in the morning before doing anything
  • for biceps, arm straight and RELAXED (not peak contraction)

Nobody does this anymore, everyone seems to be measuring peak contraction after working out flushed with blood.

For your own purposes you should measure when cold, it is more accurate for gauging your progress.

I can understand why measuring it cold, but why measuring it when not flexed (not in peek)?

You had 3/4 inches smaller arms. Probably as you measured them last time pumped and now cold your arms maybe lost 1/4. That is not much and will come back fast and easily.

Thanks for all the responses their much appericated. It was due to an injury I took that much time off. I seem to be plagued with injuries this year & bad luck :frowning: Back in Jan.

I broke my hand & now again with the tennis elbow. I never missed in a day in 6 years except for being sick & then I still pushed through. I’ll have to give ZMA a try I’m just wanna get my loss back quick & get on the road to my goal :slight_smile:

[quote]russianmuscle wrote:
TheButcher69 wrote:
is there any supplements out there that would help assist me in reaching my goal? Thanks!

trying not to be an ass, but don’t you think “helping to assist you” is a bit redundant?[/quote]

And don’t you think “a bit redundant” is a bit like “a bit pregnant”? j/k

[quote]TheButcher69 wrote:
Also my goal is to hit 20-1/2" to 20-3/4" arms & put size on my traps & shoulders (which are problem areas for me)is there any supplements out there that would help assist me in reaching my goal? Thanks![/quote]

Some vitamin T should do the trick.

Point to some :slight_smile: