T Nation

Size Large

I know that this is not really post worthy but I told some of my friends who do not lift and they did not understand, but I am finally wearing size Large t-shirts.

Ya I know not that big, but about a year ago I was 155lbs and wearing a size small and now I am 170 and wearing a large, and almost all the weight was muscle.

I feel great, and I had to tell someone and I figured if anybody can appreciate the work it took me you guys would be them.
Sorry for making a useless thread.
Zach

Oh ya and my arms went from a tiny 13" to 14.5" still not big but a big improvement.
Sorry again, but I have to tell someone.

[quote]Zwer wrote:
Oh ya and my arms went from a tiny 13" to 14.5" still not big but a big improvement.
Sorry again, but I have to tell someone.[/quote]

Keep it up.

there is no greather motivation than seeing results from your hard work - so keep at it dude, you’re doing great.

Honestly, I don’t see this as trivial at all. It’s often very frustrating to work your ass off every day, eat as clean as possible and at times make small (or large) sacrifices, only to see about 2-3 lbs. of progress in a month.

It’s the little things like this that you see over an extended period that help to keep motivation high, so while the scale doesn’t move much and progess with the iron comes slow you can look at things like this as a way to rededicate yourself: imagine how happy you’ll be when you’re shopping for XL’s?

Anyway, good work and keep at it!

I don’t know, I like a snugger fit. Most shirts are designed for fatasses who taper from waist up, so I find that mediums work. They’re damn tight on my upper body (I’ve ripped a few trying to take them off), but at least I don’t look like I’m wearing a maternity shirt. My arms are 15-15.5" now and I’m still comfortable in most mediums.

Or maybe I’m lying to myself and I just can’t afford to buy a new set of shirts. Who knows.

Anyway, congrats on getting bigger.

Good work. Where you start is just (maybe even more) important than where you are. You gained 1.5" in your arms. That’s good work. Keep it up.

I guarantee most of the guys who are actually growing still have that “favorite shirt” stored away somewhere just so they can put it on every once in a while and say, “Holy shit, this thing actually used to fit me”.

I think I was in high school the last time a medium fit me.

Ahh…this thread makes me want to eat more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I guarantee most of the guys who are actually growing still have that “favorite shirt” stored away somewhere just so they can put it on every once in a while and say, “Holy shit, this thing actually used to fit me”.

I think I was in high school the last time a medium fit me.[/quote]

My favorite shirt was an XL. My best friends when I was younger were black, so I started to copy their style…we went to a private school, so I guess it appealed to me because I wanted to rebel against the stuffy uniform. I think I even had some Fubu. Wearing oversized clothes stuck with me through high school, but at that point I was just trying to hide myself.

When my old favorite shirt actually fits me, I’ll be feeling pretty good about my accomplishments.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I don’t know, I like a snugger fit. Most shirts are designed for fatasses who taper from waist up, so I find that mediums work. They’re damn tight on my upper body (I’ve ripped a few trying to take them off), but at least I don’t look like I’m wearing a maternity shirt. My arms are 15-15.5" now and I’m still comfortable in most mediums.

Or maybe I’m lying to myself and I just can’t afford to buy a new set of shirts. Who knows.

Anyway, congrats on getting bigger. [/quote]

Trust me when I say its not “pretty” It just looks like a guy who is trying to show off his arms by wearing a shirt too tight for him…wear a large!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I guarantee most of the guys who are actually growing still have that “favorite shirt” stored away somewhere just so they can put it on every once in a while and say, “Holy shit, this thing actually used to fit me”.

I think I was in high school the last time a medium fit me.[/quote]

I dug out my old college rugby shirt when I was cleaning the garage over the Thanksgiving weekend. I remember the thing used to be loose on me. Now that sucker is skin tight!

It is amazing what an extra 40 (mostly quality) pounds does.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I guarantee most of the guys who are actually growing still have that “favorite shirt” stored away somewhere just so they can put it on every once in a while and say, “Holy shit, this thing actually used to fit me”.

I think I was in high school the last time a medium fit me.[/quote]

I bought a medium t-shirt the other day just for what was on it. They had no L’s or XL’s with “Paper Football Champion 1979” on them.

I think I will make a workout shirt out of it.

Wow, thanks for the positive response. Since I now feel more comfortable, and we all know that this site is not just about looking good, but also performing well. I decided to post some before and after lifts. Keep in mind that all these numbers are for sets of 10.

DB Press was 40lbs now 85lbs
DB Shoulder Press was 30lbs now 65lbs
Squat was 155lbs now 225lbs
Lat Pull down was 110lbs now 170lbs
DB Pullover was 50lbs now 100lbs (the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 100lbs)
Leg Extension was 180lbs now 260lbs
Skull Crushers was 50lbs now 95lbs
Dips was body weight now with 45lb plate

Those are just the lifts that improved the most, thought I would post them up. It’s amazing what a little hard work can do.

It’s funny that this subject should come up, because my biggest motivation for going on my last bulking binge was the fact that I started fitting into M shirts. I dropped 35 lbs from 220 to 185 because I wanted to be a Navy SEAL (lots of running and endurance work for about 11 months).

They wouldn’t have me, and I realized that I had become a twig. Since then I’ve put the weight back on and I’m back in an XL.

I know it was a proud moment for me when I went from filling out a large to filling out an XL.

[quote]barbiegirl wrote:
I say its not “pretty” It just looks like a guy who is trying to show off his arms by wearing a shirt too tight for him…wear a large![/quote]

Point taken, but like I said I’m not eager to buy new clothes! Maybe at the end of my bulk I’ll replace some of the tighter mediums with some athletic cut larges. I just really don’t like having ten extra inches of shirt around my waist.

Anyway, how is wearing a medium to show of my arms any different than you wearing a tight shirt to show off your assets? At least I worked for mine. =P

[quote]Zwer wrote:
Wow, thanks for the positive response. Since I now feel more comfortable, and we all know that this site is not just about looking good, but also performing well. I decided to post some before and after lifts. Keep in mind that all these numbers are for sets of 10.

DB Press was 40lbs now 85lbs
DB Shoulder Press was 30lbs now 65lbs
Squat was 155lbs now 225lbs
Lat Pull down was 110lbs now 170lbs
DB Pullover was 50lbs now 100lbs (the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 100lbs)
Leg Extension was 180lbs now 260lbs
Skull Crushers was 50lbs now 95lbs
Dips was body weight now with 45lb plate

Those are just the lifts that improved the most, thought I would post them up. It’s amazing what a little hard work can do.[/quote]
Good job man, but why are you doing things like leg extensions? And where is your deadlift?

My gym is the same with DBs. I picked up a set of Olympic DB handles for heavy presses and deadlifts. The rules say you can’t bring your own equipment but unless they’re gonna buy heavy DBs, I say fuck them!

[quote]Zwer wrote:
Wow, thanks for the positive response. Since I now feel more comfortable, and we all know that this site is not just about looking good, but also performing well. I decided to post some before and after lifts. Keep in mind that all these numbers are for sets of 10.

DB Press was 40lbs now 85lbs
DB Shoulder Press was 30lbs now 65lbs
Squat was 155lbs now 225lbs
Lat Pull down was 110lbs now 170lbs
DB Pullover was 50lbs now 100lbs (the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 100lbs)
Leg Extension was 180lbs now 260lbs
Skull Crushers was 50lbs now 95lbs
Dips was body weight now with 45lb plate

Those are just the lifts that improved the most, thought I would post them up. It’s amazing what a little hard work can do.[/quote]

Here’s a recipe for wearing XXL drop your reps to 3-5

Wow I am in reverse LOL was 3xl(@342#), then 2xl, now fit just fine in xl (@245#) :slight_smile: and yep even some nice “larger” L sizes. but those sometimes are too snug around arms. but know what you mean about feeling good fitting in a nice shirt :slight_smile: