T Nation

Size And Strength

This is an upper / lower split routine. There are two upper days and two lower days. The routine is then further developed with a focus on specific rep ranges and planes of movement. I treat the lifts as either a horizontal push/pull or a vertical push/pull. Each plane of movement will get a heavy day (lower reps heavier weight) and a lighter day (higher reps lower weight).

Lower body is simply a squat day (heavy push) and a deadlift day (heavy pull) with addition work done to fill out opposing muscle group done on the heavy portion of that day respectively.

Upper A (heavy horizontal/lighter vertical):
BB Bench 5x5*
BB Row 5x5*
Overhead Press 3x10
Pullup 3x10
BB curls 2x8
Optional: {two sets of light rear delt iso work}

Lower A (heavy squats/ham assistance and core):
Back Squats 5x5*
SLDL Or Lying Leg Curls 3x8
Back Hypertensions 3x10
Weighted decline sit-ups 3x10
Optional: {two sets of lunges}

Upper B (heavy vertical/lighter horizontal):
Overhead Press 5x5*
Pullup 5x5
BB Bench 3x10
BB Row Or Horizontal Pull 3x10
Weighted Dips 2x8
Optional: {two sets of light side delt iso work}

Lower B (heavy deadlift/lighter thigh and core):
Deadlift 5x5*
SLDL 5x5"
Leg Press 2x8*
Leg Extensions 3x8
Calf Raises 3x12
Weighted Decline sit-ups 3x10
Optional: {two sets of light leg press at the end}

Sunday: Lower-A
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Upper-A
Wednesday: Lower-B
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Upper-B
Saturday: rest
Repeat

GOAL: On the 5x5 work, the goal is more strength oriented. The focus of this part is lifting HEAVY!

REST + PROGRESSION: Much like in the Starr linear 5x5 add weight every week. ~5lb to each of the 5x5 sets each week. In order to increase workload, an addition does not have to always be on the top set. Sometime I would just increase the weight on the 4th or 3rd set ect

Taking the time between sets to push as much weight as planned for that week. This may mean up to 2+ minute breaks in between sets.

On the 3x10 - hypertrophy and muscular endurance is the aim. It is also a form of active recovery, but that is not the primary reason Its added. keeping the intensity on this higher and rests short, maybe only a minute or so between sets. The weight used is not the focus; it’s the perfect form, getting all the reps, and higher intensity. So any increase in overall intensity on the 3x10 work is as good as an increase in the weight on the bar.

With 3x10 It is a bit more difficult to make a universal plan of progression because it is likely that even a 2.5 lb increase each session would be too aggressive, Nonetheless, the goal is to add weight to the bar as often as possible. Smallest plate available will be added each week if I can not achieve a 2.5 lb increase every week!

A few of the lifts are neither 5x5 nor 3x10. Leg press, for instance, is a ramping up to a top set of 10. So for leg press you would do sets of ten reps and increase the weight each set until the last set is done at the heaviest weight.

EDIT:::: I wasn’t thinking right, scrap it, I somehow never took into account a few factors.

My orginal first post has been updated, Could I please have some feedback and advice?

Thanks,

No.

Thanks,

Why.

Thanks,

Maybe im missing something…

If you goal is STRENGTH then why is most of your lifts in the 7-10 rep range ???

And why are deadlifts your heeavy hamstring day !

Like say for a lower body for me strength wise should i be so inclined would be as follows:

A1) Front Squats 10*3
(And your eye had better be falling out on the 3rd rep)

Rest 45 seconds

A2) Long Range Lunges (10*5)
(Again your eye had better be falling out on the 6th rep)

Rest 45 seconds

B1) Romanian Deadlifts (10*3)
(And your eye had better be falling out on the 3rd rep)

Rest 45 seconds

B2) Leg Curl 2/1 (10*5)
2/1 technique on the leg curl. This means lifting the load explosively with two legs, and lowering it under control with one leg only.

Rest 45 seconds

C1) Leg press (2*50)
(Pick a weight you can do for 20 and FORCE yourself to do 50, i mean you will want to be CRYING at 47, blue face eyes popping out)

Rest 45 seconds

C2) Ballistic Jump Squats- Bodyweight (2*25)
(Good luck doing it but try, it will torch your legs
beyond all belief)

Rest 45 seconds

No calfs on this day but try this for 1 day, get back to me when you can walk :slight_smile:
And you had better have your nutrition down before this, or your not walking for days.
The day after go to the gym do 3-4 sets of 12-15 rep BACK squats, just to get some more blood moving through your legs.

[quote]300andabove wrote:

If you goal is STRENGTH then why is most of your lifts in the 7-10 rep range ???
[/quote]

No - I said My GOAL On the 5x5 work, Is the strength oriented exercises.

BB Bench 5x5*
Back Squats 5x5*
Overhead Press 5x5*
Pullup 5x5
Deadlift 5x5*

The other assistance exercises are to promote hypertrophy and muscular endurance.

And why are deadlifts your heeavy hamstring day ![/quote]

Lower Body B Workout is a hip dominant and hamstring day.

Do you honestly believe that you are at a level of development and experience where you need to be thinking this much about how you should be working out?

I can’t see why someone would have a problem with this program. It’s comprehensive and made up of the best lifts.

My program is very similar except I have only one lower day…if I could get to the gym 4 days a week though I’d make a quad dominant day and a ham dominant day.

I think that balancing pushes with pulls and ensuring you’re working all planes of movement is the only sensible way to train and will be the basis of every program I use.

You can always change your set/rep parameters and rotate out excercises to keep things fresh or work towards specific goals.

My advice is to ignore the naysayers…I’m sure you’re seeing the gains for yourself.

-DT

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Do you honestly believe that you are at a level of development and experience where you need to be thinking this much about how you should be working out?[/quote]

Why shouldn’t I think much about training? Do I need to be at a high level of development and experience to follow a well structured, organised and thought out programe? … Training Important the less time wasted in the gym the better.

[quote]davidtower wrote:

I can’t see why someone would have a problem with this program. It’s comprehensive and made up of the best lifts.

My program is very similar except I have only one lower day…if I could get to the gym 4 days a week though I’d make a quad dominant day and a ham dominant day.

I think that balancing pushes with pulls and ensuring you’re working all planes of movement is the only sensible way to train and will be the basis of every program I use.

You can always change your set/rep parameters and rotate out excercises to keep things fresh or work towards specific goals.

My advice is to ignore the naysayers…I’m sure you’re seeing the gains for yourself.

-DT[/quote]

Thanks David, Sombody with sense at last, It took a while for sombody to apperciate the session. It has all The foundations of a good routine, it’s balanced for pushing - pulling and most importatnly it suits my needs.

Diet, Is next to be given an assessment.

If you already know that it’s right for you, and the only comments you respond positively to are ones agreeing with you, then why the hell would you bother to make a thread for people to “assess” your routine?

There’s nothing “wrong” with it really… I certainly wouldn’t do this routine, but threads like this tend to make people wonder if you’re actually making progress, or if you’re jumping around trying to make your routine “perfect” and do everything “the right way” while never getting where you need to be.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. Thats just the impression that comes off and thats probably why nobody bothered to respond for a while.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
If you already know that it’s right for you, and the only comments you respond positively to are ones agreeing with you, then why the hell would you bother to make a thread for people to “assess” your routine?

There’s nothing “wrong” with it really… I certainly wouldn’t do this routine, but threads like this tend to make people wonder if you’re actually making progress, or if you’re jumping around trying to make your routine “perfect” and do everything “the right way” while never getting where you need to be.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. Thats just the impression that comes off and thats probably why nobody bothered to respond for a while.[/quote]

Obviously he was looking for a pat on the back. Notice: “Finally someone sensible” …

What you need is some yes men.

Balanced as it may be, i dont see much strength being gained from this routine.

But hey, ill leave you and your yes men to “assess” it.

This is what everyone told me.

Try it, see if it works.

Maybe you will make good gains the first week, but the second you will have built up too much fatigue and overtrain. Your routine is high volume. You may make faster gains for a longer time if you choose a strength program thats well known like starting strength, madcow 5x5, texas method, etc. Their made the way they are for a reason. Everything has already been thought of.

Seriously, I tried to make my own programs for a while and kept switching things up until I was using a simple program with basic movements very similar to Rippetoe’s and it has given me the most progress. Starting strength has it right. They have the right exercises and everything. If you are going to design your own program, you first need to READ

Practical Programming for Strength Training
By Mark Rippetoe

Save yourself alot of wasted time. Even if you are on the intermediate or advanced level, the texas method will most likely give you the best strength gains according to these coaches.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. Thats just the impression that comes off and thats probably why nobody bothered to respond for a while.[/quote]

I don’t know if it’s right for me or not, there is no perfect workout I know that and I will be going to try it out too see how my body reacts.

I had nothing to reply, I asked in a nice manner for some feedback and advice of the progame created before I gave it the test run to see if anybody with knowlodge, experience, high development and others opinons, could offer some exteneral perspective as this is a Discussion Forum!

Your first reply was No. Thanks,… How and What exactly was this advice or feedback to guide me? You could easily of said ‘I’ think it may be too much volume overal and it may lead into overtraining, change this, add that or maybe replace the

“Finally someone sensible” … comment was intended to mean a sensible constructive post at last.
__

@elano,

Thanks for the heads up, Overtraining did run through my mind though I’m not really sure alternations to decrease the volume, and still keep the strengh.

I do believe in making your own programs is not the best idea and follow one sombody elses, meaning Rippetoe etc. But I’ve been looking for a while and the thing is I can’t find a programe which will meet my training days, My week is very tight, with education and work, Having a spefic 4 days a week to train is my main and biggest problem.

so what youre saying is that one can not get stronger doing 7 - 10 reps…

Hamstrongs are a major part of deadlifting. I do direct hamstrong work and deadlifts on the same day.

Just because he isn’t using extremely low reps doesn’t mean he isn’t going to get stronger in the 7-10 rep range. If my primary focus was to increase my lifts I would progress into the 2-3 and 3-5 rep ranges.