Six Newbie Mistakes

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
How about number 7:

Following a program designed for drug enhanced super freaks.[/quote]

Or more generally following a program that’s too advanced. Like jumping into an arm specialization routine instead of learning to do the big basic compound moves first. Or just killing ourselves with too much volume - I think I did that this week, hehe.

Number 8 would be “following a program” but changing essential things until it’s unrecognizable.

Professor X wrote:
IQ wrote:

If I had to add anything to that list based on my limited experience it would be:

1. Basing decisions on theory rather than results.

If I’m doing something which is working I continue, if I’m doing something which isn’t working I change it, no amount of scientific studies will be able to change this reasoning (what I like to call common sense).

Most of the debates on this forum are between people who have experience against those who claim that experience is wrong based on studies or the words of a specific trainer or author.

I also think most of those debates would end before they started if people were required to post photo examples of how their training has worked for them.

OK put up your pic. Shirt off. Lets see the goods.
[/quote]

You seem to have some problems. I’ve posted my picture on this site. It is in my profile. I doubt most here are in the dark about what I look like, especially the more than 50 people on my friends list. I will not be posing half naked for you. Sorry. What is funny is that you demand pictures from me but have posted none of yourself anywhere…ever.

How about number 7:

Following a program designed for drug enhanced super freaks.[/quote]

Why did you feel the need to come shit on a good thread? Maybe #7 could be, don’t follow programs from people who are small and haven’t made progress for years.

I’ll add a piece of advice.

Not focusing on improving strength in squats is a common mistake.

Every beginner who doesn’t have a medical limitation should make improving strength in the squat a foundation of their training.

Other big lifts like bench and pull ups are important too but many beginners make the mistake of neglecting hard leg work.

[quote]mharmar wrote:
Andrew Dixon wrote:
How about number 7:

Following a program designed for drug enhanced super freaks.

Why did you feel the need to come shit on a good thread?[/quote]

Because Dixon is an ass.

[quote]
Maybe #7 could be, don’t follow programs from people who are small and haven’t made progress for years.[/quote]

Solid advice…#8 could be - Pay little attention to weak people’s advice on how to get strong.