Six Months After Broken Sternum, How Heavy Can I Bench?

I won’t lie, I am scared to go heavy on the bench because of my sternum.

I dont really feel any pain, maybe on the last reps slightly but definitely tolerable. So after 6 months, should I worry about my sternum re-breaking? or can I bench heavy and stop worrying?

As a side note, I talked to a big guy at the gym tonight and he told me to go heavy on BENCH, SQUAT, DEADLIFT. I spotted him for 405x2 on the bench, it was an honour. Definitely motivating.

this “big” guy have any idea of your past injuries? if so, how much info did you give him?
Just cause someone is “big” doesn’t mean they should be giving advice to someone who has had an injury like yourself.

what kind of break? what were you doing to cause it? hopefully not bouncing a bar off your chest, lol

has your physical therapist and doctor cleared you for heavy lifting?

Gerdy

Doctor referred me to physio. Physio told me to “stay within my limits”, “use my common sense”, etc. Basically he sucked.

I normally stay within 12-15 range just to be sure. But Id like to push more. What are the chances of the sternum rebreaking at this point? Keep in mind that my bench is very far from 405.

For the 405 bench, just thought it was cool. Of course I won’t go for my 1RM anytime soon.

Well do exactly as he told you and don’t push the limit yet.

I’d go see your doctor or another physical therapist or something. See if they can help you out.

I haven’t had the experience and even if I had, everybody is different and healing times are different. I don’t want to say to push yourself for fear of injury and I don’t want to say take it easy if your healed. All I can say is what your physio said and that is be careful. lol

sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Gerdy

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
Doctor referred me to physio. Physio told me to “stay within my limits”, “use my common sense”, etc. Basically he sucked.[/quote]

lol? are physiotherapists supposed to have a crystal ball to know if you start heavy on a bench whether or not your body will split in 2?

Just remember that when a bone heals, it heals stronger than before because the bone is calcified. You should still worry, but what I am saying is that your skeletal structure in your chest may actually be stronger than ever, or at least will be in the near future as long as you do not rebreak anything.

Why don’t you train high reps for a while? You can still grow off that and increase some strength.

[quote]awebayt wrote:
hit the gym wrote:
Doctor referred me to physio. Physio told me to “stay within my limits”, “use my common sense”, etc. Basically he sucked.

lol? are physiotherapists supposed to have a crystal ball to know if you start heavy on a bench whether or not your body will split in 2?[/quote]

Exactly. Their advice was just fine. How about talking to people who have seen your current chest x-ray rather than random people on the internet? Like your physio, we have no fucking clue.

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:
Just remember that when a bone heals, it heals stronger than before because the bone is calcified. You should still worry, but what I am saying is that your skeletal structure in your chest may actually be stronger than ever, or at least will be in the near future as long as you do not rebreak anything.[/quote]

Thanks, I did not know this. Thanks also for the other advice, yes I will stay 12-15 range for at least a year. I remember doctor saying it takes 1 year to heal completely.

And to reply to some posts, well I thought/ was hoping somebody here had a broken sternum before, or knew of someone. Sure everybody if different but nice to know what others are doing sometime.

How did you break it in the first place?

[quote]hit the gym wrote:
drummerofgod89 wrote:
Just remember that when a bone heals, it heals stronger than before because the bone is calcified. You should still worry, but what I am saying is that your skeletal structure in your chest may actually be stronger than ever, or at least will be in the near future as long as you do not rebreak anything.

Thanks, I did not know this. Thanks also for the other advice, yes I will stay 12-15 range for at least a year. I remember doctor saying it takes 1 year to heal completely.

And to reply to some posts, well I thought/ was hoping somebody here had a broken sternum before, or knew of someone. Sure everybody if different but nice to know what others are doing sometime.[/quote]

After it is fully healed, however long that takes, it will most likely be a lot sturdier. Good luck healing up.