Situational Awareness

[quote]idaho wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
These are the types of attacks I talked about in an earlier post. You would be prudent to up your situational awareness over the next couple of months. BTW, Chris Hayes of MSNBC (fuck him) will not be talking about this cop, he was a hero.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sergeant-at-arms-hailed-as-hero-in-ottawa-shooting/ [/quote]

He’s not a cop anymore, idaho. If he was, SIU would have invoked their mandate and he would be under investigation and not hailed as the hero he is.
[/quote]

Will,
You are correct, he is not a current , working cop. The article I read stated he retired from the RCMP after 30 years of service. After that length of time, no matter what he is doing now,(IMO) he will always be a cop. Either way, he stood up to the scum and took care of buisness.
[/quote]

I agree with you and he is a hero regardless of the position he currently holds. I was just pointing out that if he was acting as a police officer at the time, our government would have treated him differently.

No one has criticized him for the number of shots fired, he was back to work the next day where he received a publicized standing ovation, as well as a hug from the Prime Minister. I don’t imagine he will be dragged through a lengthy investigation to clear him of murder. The media isn’t suggesting he should have negotiated with the attacker, nor are policy makers trying to distance themselves from Vickers; it’s the opposite. Of course, this could be the result of the media and policy makers being present and scared shitless during the chaos.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
These are the types of attacks I talked about in an earlier post. You would be prudent to up your situational awareness over the next couple of months. BTW, Chris Hayes of MSNBC (fuck him) will not be talking about this cop, he was a hero.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sergeant-at-arms-hailed-as-hero-in-ottawa-shooting/ [/quote]

He’s not a cop anymore, idaho. If he was, SIU would have invoked their mandate and he would be under investigation and not hailed as the hero he is.
[/quote]

Will,
You are correct, he is not a current , working cop. The article I read stated he retired from the RCMP after 30 years of service. After that length of time, no matter what he is doing now,(IMO) he will always be a cop. Either way, he stood up to the scum and took care of buisness.
[/quote]

I agree with you and he is a hero regardless of the position he currently holds. I was just pointing out that if he was acting as a police officer at the time, our government would have treated him differently.

No one has criticized him for the number of shots fired, he was back to work the next day where he received a publicized standing ovation, as well as a hug from the Prime Minister. I don’t imagine he will be dragged through a lengthy investigation to clear him of murder. The media isn’t suggesting he should have negotiated with the attacker, nor are policy makers trying to distance themselves from Vickers; it’s the opposite. Of course, this could be the result of the media and policy makers being present and scared shitless during the chaos.

[/quote]

Agree with all of it.

My inner cynic thinks the bolded has a lot to do with the applause. I would like the take home to be that it is the individual who is armed who determines whether good or bad happens. Not the fact they are or aren’t armed. I doubt that will happen. Still, that man should be proud of his actions.

Oh, and did everyone catch the Blade Runner ref?

Regards,

Robert A

The below statement was sent out today by my command. Since it is unclassfied, I decided to post it here. 99% who post on this forum are probably aware of these guidelines, however, the people you are responsible for protecting may need a security brief. In the list of 13 suggestions, 1 and 2 will probably not apply to many here, but, 6,7,8, and 9 should be discussed if you have a family.

" In recognition of recent threats, various intelligence and law enforcement sources have indicated that individuals directed or inspired by the Islamic States of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), view members of U.S. military and law enforcement officers as legitimate targets for attacks. Targets in recent ISIL-linked terrorist plots included places of public gatherings, government entities, mass transit nodes, and religious facilities. Attacks would most likely involve edged weapons, small arms, or improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and could be perpetrated with little-or-no advanced warning. In light of these threats and recent attacks in the United Kingdom, France, and Canada, remaining vigilant is paramount."

To help reduce the possibility of becoming a possible target (for you and your family), I have provided a list of recommended Individual Protective Measures:

1. All DoD personnel are reminded to use Operational Security (OPSEC) at work and at home.
  2. Be sure to secure DoD affiliated credentials (CAC/Building passes) when in public.
  3. Remove any DoD/military/law enforcement decals or identifiers from clothing and vehicles.
  4. Vary your travel routes to and from work.
  5. Pay attention to your surroundings and be cognizant of surroundings when discussing affiliations to DoD, the military and/or law enforcement.
  6. If You See Something, Say Something!
  7. Maintain situational awareness or avoid public venues where large gatherings of people congregate.
  8. Educate your family members on basic security practices.
  9. Be careful of information shared on social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
  10. Lock down your social media and change your passwords regularly.
  11. Do not post anything on social media that affiliates you with DoD/the military or law enforcement.
  12. Do not post anything on social media opposing terrorist groups or organizations.
  13. REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY TO YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS!

Roberrt- "
" Barring that seeing it coming and acting on that information BEFORE injury confirms intent? Maneuver WHILE assessing instead of waiting to be certain that you need to? I play the whole consistent vs inconsistent thing when evaluating, like my post about the highway shooting, but that is only a way and not THE WAY. "

Tshirt material for my next defensive weapon class. Thank you Sir.

[quote]idaho wrote:
The below statement was sent out today by my command. Since it is unclassfied, I decided to post it here. 99% who post on this forum are probably aware of these guidelines, however, the people you are responsible for protecting may need a security brief. In the list of 13 suggestions, 1 and 2 will probably not apply to many here, but, 6,7,8, and 9 should be discussed if you have a family.

" In recognition of recent threats, various intelligence and law enforcement sources have indicated that individuals directed or inspired by the Islamic States of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), view members of U.S. military and law enforcement officers as legitimate targets for attacks. Targets in recent ISIL-linked terrorist plots included places of public gatherings, government entities, mass transit nodes, and religious facilities. Attacks would most likely involve edged weapons, small arms, or improvised explosive devices (IEDs), and could be perpetrated with little-or-no advanced warning. In light of these threats and recent attacks in the United Kingdom, France, and Canada, remaining vigilant is paramount."

To help reduce the possibility of becoming a possible target (for you and your family), I have provided a list of recommended Individual Protective Measures:

1. All DoD personnel are reminded to use Operational Security (OPSEC) at work and at home.
  2. Be sure to secure DoD affiliated credentials (CAC/Building passes) when in public.
  3. Remove any DoD/military/law enforcement decals or identifiers from clothing and vehicles.
  5. Pay attention to your surroundings and be cognizant of surroundings when discussing affiliations to DoD, the military and/or law enforcement.
  7. Maintain situational awareness or avoid public venues where large gatherings of people congregate.
  11. Do not post anything on social media that affiliates you with DoD/the military or law enforcement.
  12. Do not post anything on social media opposing terrorist groups or organizations.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. I will be sending this to a few people who don’t think about this kind of stuff.

batman730 has commented on achieving gray-man status. I’ll add a tip for vehicles. Santize your vehicle of anything unique to it. Keep the interior clean and all belongings out of sight. Remove all stickers and don’t put a licence plate frame or any personalized crap on your car. It should look like it just came off the lot less the dealer’s advertising BS. If you can, buy a car in a neutral color and keep the factory rims. Fix any cosmetic damage.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. I will be sending this to a few people who don’t think about this kind of stuff.

batman730 has commented on achieving gray-man status. I’ll add a tip for vehicles. Santize your vehicle of anything unique to it. Keep the interior clean and all belongings out of sight. Remove all stickers and don’t put a licence plate frame or any personalized crap on your car. It should look like it just came off the lot less the dealer’s advertising BS. If you can, buy a car in a neutral color and keep the factory rims. Fix any cosmetic damage.
[/quote]

Good post.

However I saw a window sticker that said “Grumpy Cat Hates Your Stick Figure Family” and may be leaving the “gray” status and ordering one.

I am also not all that enthusiastic about number 12. Since this board counts as social media am I supposed to be neutral?

Should I be lamenting the death of the hatchet killer in NY? Because even if I started trying to be neutral about shit like that I don’t think you guys would buy it.

Regards,

Robert A

Robert,
Post anything you want to, fuck them, especially after reading this crap:

“Strike their police, security and intelligence members, as well as their treacherous agents,” ISIS spokesman Aub Mohammad al-Adnani posted on Sept. 21. “If you are not able to find an IED or a bullet, then single out the disbelieving American, Frenchman, or any of their allies. Smash his head with a rock, or slaughter him with a knife, or run him over with your car, or throw him down from a high place, or choke him or poison him.”

www.nypost.com/...ay-for-slavery/

[quote]idaho wrote:
Robert,
[/quote]
I actually try to censor myself a bit.

I don’t have to worry about .gov or .mil protocol but a whole lot of patients and colegues would take strong exception to the views and TTP’s I advocate on here. Multiple times I have had it expressed to me that healers should have nothing to do with firearms, weapons, or violence of any kind. On one occasion I watched a friend of mine say to a mutual friend (one of the ones I had shoot the .22 and started to explain “the problem” and my views on the morality of violent resistence to evil) who had just purchased his first firearm (Ruger 22/45, I have sold a lot of Ruger .22’s and Browning Buckmarks) that he was very “disapointed” in him.

He went on to lecture him about how docs are healers and such things are breaking oaths and making him a hypocrite/liar. Mind you for as long as he knew me he knew my hobbies/interests because other people mentioned them. It was eye opening to realize that although we were “friends”, he couldn’t view me the same way becaue I was tainted.

So I do get the OPSEC/PERSEC concerns.

Your link is not working but in the “no surprise” category someone who’s self identity hinges on not recognizing any of the values or rights I hold dear said some shit that I find repugnant.

Also, ISIS should learn to math or he is just a selfish asshole. Fighting wars on multiple fronts is hell. It is often associated with glorious, but pyric victories, “to the last man” heroics, and ultimately defeat. See history. Like damn near all of it.

Asymmetric warfare is all awesome and shit. Until you try to found your own nation, in a fixed location. Then it isn’t awesome asymmetric, it is shitty supply lines and no industrial/manufacturing base asymmetric. AKA “We gonna get rolled the fuck over.” Now if he is just looking for his own martyrdom than I guess I see it, but trying to provoke/get a body count in mainland North America and Europe vs just fighting local doesn’t seem wise. Unlimited warfare would not fare well for his would be nation, and they literally lack the ability to force an “All hands on deck”/Total War response.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
Robert,
[/quote]
I actually try to censor myself a bit.

I don’t have to worry about .gov or .mil protocol but a whole lot of patients and colegues would take strong exception to the views and TTP’s I advocate on here. Multiple times I have had it expressed to me that healers should have nothing to do with firearms, weapons, or violence of any kind. On one occasion I watched a friend of mine say to a mutual friend (one of the ones I had shoot the .22 and started to explain “the problem” and my views on the morality of violent resistence to evil) who had just purchased his first firearm (Ruger 22/45, I have sold a lot of Ruger .22’s and Browning Buckmarks) that he was very “disapointed” in him. He went on to lecture him about how docs are healers and such things are breaking oaths and making him a hypocrite/liar. Mind you for as long as he knew me he knew my hobbies/interests because other people mentioned them. It was eye opening to realize that although we were “friends”, he couldn’t view me the same way becaue I was tainted.

So I do get the OPSEC/PERSEC concerns.

Your link is not working but in the “no surprise” category someone who’s self identity hinges on not recognizing any of the values or rights I hold dear said some shit that I find repugnant.

Also, ISIS should learn to math or he is just a selfish asshole. Fighting wars on multiple fronts is hell. It is often associated with glorious, but pyric victories, “to the last man” heroics, and ultimately defeat. See history. Like damn near all of it.

Asymmetric warfare is all awesome and shit. Until you try to found your own nation, in a fixed location. Then it isn’t awesome asymmetric, it is shitty supply lines and no industrial/manufacturing base asymmetric. AKA “We gonna get rolled the fuck over.” Now if he is just looking for his own martyrdom than I guess I see it, but trying to provoke/get a body count in mainland North America and Europe vs just fighting local doesn’t seem wise. Unlimited warfare would not fare well for his would be nation, and they literally lack the ability to force an “All hands on deck”/Total War response.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]
“He went on to lecture him about how docs are healers and such things are breaking oaths and making him a hypocrite/liar. Mind you for as long as he knew me he knew my hobbies/interests because other people mentioned them. It was eye opening to realize that although we were “friends”, he couldn’t view me the same way becaue I was tainted”

That is sad, I guess he has not been around too many SF Medics. My PA , who I see once a year for my medical clearance, is a former SF Medic who saw a lot of action. Good man and experienced. I can’t lie to him like a regular doctor:))

Youre false friend should apply to either the state department or USAID. I have occassionaly provided PSD services for those people and find them to be the most judgemental people I have ever encountered. They have no life experience except attending some Ivy League college, but, they are experts on everything from Muslims to the military. However, they are just babies to real predators and dont even realize the problem.

You trying to train and educate your friends on survival will only help keep them alive to “heal” someone who needs it. IMO, he is the “tainted” one and is a good example of our general populace.

“Asymmetric warfare is all awesome and shit. Until you try to found your own nation, in a fixed location. Then it isn’t awesome asymmetric, it is shitty supply lines and no industrial/manufacturing base asymmetric. AKA “We gonna get rolled the fuck over.” Now if he is just looking for his own martyrdom than I guess I see it, but trying to provoke/get a body count in mainland North America and Europe vs just fighting local doesn’t seem wise. Unlimited warfare would not fare well for his would be nation, and they literally lack the ability to force an “All hands on deck”/Total War response”

Good point and I agree, but, they have millions of martyrs to choose from worldwide. Just call your local Imam, order up one of the local fanatics to strap on a bomb vest, walk into the Mall of America on black Friday. Detonate. Easy.

Sorry, need to stop, feel a rant coming on. Be safe. I hope that idiot doesnt cause you problems at work.

Idaho- No need to stop on our account, while your over there I think you need as much of this (mindset) as possible. Carry on as needed. “It was written in their Quran, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as Prisoners, and that every Musselman (Muslim) who should be slain in Battle was sure to go to Paradise.” As has been previously posted Jihad works both ways.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Youre false friend should apply to either the state department or USAID. I have occassionaly provided PSD services for those people and find them to be the most judgemental people I have ever encountered. They have no life experience except attending some Ivy League college, but, they are experts on everything from Muslims to the military. However, they are just babies to real predators and dont even realize the problem.

You trying to train and educate your friends on survival will only help keep them alive to “heal” someone who needs it. IMO, he is the “tainted” one and is a good example of our general populace.
[/quote]

Well, I don’t think it would be fair to judge him a “false friend” even then. I just found those comments illuminating about beliefs. He has always treated me fairly, and as well as could be expected.

A while after that he got the “out to the range” introduction. This is just safety and mechanics and me standing over their shoulder making sure no one gets hurt but fun is still had.

A bit afterwords he asked the question “What kind of gun should I get?” and got my canned answer “For the first gun that is easy. A Ruger MK II or III pattern or Browning Buckmark in .22LR. That lets you work on fundamentals and get used to safety practices while still enjoying things. If you can take a couple lessons or a class with just the .22 that isn’t bad either.” A week or so later I met him at a gunshop I like and he walked out with a Ruger 22/45 (MKIII with a polymer lower), eyes and ears. I gifted him a brick of .22 and we went to the range. This was a bit more sporty and I showed him how to reload, we even worked high vs low probability targets (think body vs head but using pie plates, index cards, and steel shapes and with no grave sense of purpose). Fun was had, and I gave a bit of discussion about “the problem”. I suggested Cooper for further reading.

Not too long after that he asked about and got a brief on pistol calibers and terminal effects. He started asking about guns for serious use and we talked about carry and what was realistic.

Now he carries a Glock 26 loaded with Gold Dots. I haven’t sold him on night sights as well as I would like. He likes the Warren sights on my 19, but hasn’t reconciled with the spend a 120 bucks for them reality. He has a real (enough) holster and a real belt, but uses “off body” carry a bit more than I would like but the realities of professional dress are something of an issue here. I accept the compromises of pocket carry way more than I would like because of them myself.

I consider him a true friend, even if we don’t agree about everything, even some of the really important stuff. I value his friendship especially because we disagree about some of the important stuff. It is just my opinion but having smart folk who disagree with you and will take the time to explain why around can be very beneficial.

I really hope none of this ends up “saving” or “keeping alive” anyone. But if they are in such bad straights that this material is valuable then I hope that they are able to save the hell out of themselves and those they would protect.

Sorry for the late response. My computer caught the death.

Train hard. Stay safe.

Regards,

Robert A

“I consider him a true friend, even if we don’t agree about everything, even some of the really important stuff. I value his friendship especially because we disagree about some of the important stuff. It is just my opinion but having smart folk who disagree with you and will take the time to explain why around can be very beneficial”

My apologies for the “false friend” remark. I took your statement as some type of stupid comment from a government moron. My fault, I dont know whats wrong with me lately , but, my well of patience with people is rapidly evaporating. I am too quick on the trigger any more.

A friendship like you have with him is a rare thing and you should hope that it always continues. I work with people I trust to do the right thing at the right time, but, thats it. Again, I apologize for the remark.

idaho,

No reason to apologize. I was relaying something without context. You also have more than enough respect earned around here that no one should take offense at misunderstandings.

As for being too fast on the trigger; I get that way too often enough. Usually it comes when I feel like I haven’t gotten a “win” or success recently and am feeling just a bit too useless. Sometimes time clears it up, or being reminded that at the beginning, middle, and end of it all we can only do our best, both for ourselves and those around us. I have enough sense from your posts that you do yours regardless of thanks, reward, or personal gain. Doesn’t make the frustration any less, but at least it is honest frustration.

As for friends:

I am lucky to have those I do. My experience is that it usually takes about 2-3 years of getting to know someone before you can really be “friends” in the sense we use it most often. The amount of shifting around you do has to make for a lot of acquaintances. I will say that “doing what they are supposed to” is a great start for respect if not friendship. There are worse places to be than surrounded by people who handle big things well.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Robert A

Thought this old thread was worth a bump. I recently saw this someone post this video on Facebook and, other than the dick destroying people’s phones, what struck me was how easy it was for him run up to someone in public while brandishing a (basically) bladed garden tool and get closer-than arm’s reach.

Substitute “prank where guy cuts selfie sticks” for “attack where nutjob stabs people in the chest” and it’s unfortunately easy to see how some public knife attacks can rack up dozens of victims.

Absolutely Chris! ^^^

The truth is that, especially with the prevalence of cell phones these days, most people have zero awareness of their surroundings. Heck people were walking into incoming traffic and off cliffs while playing “Pokémon Go!”

Where I come from we call that “thinning the herd” …

I would have no problems killing this guy, especially shooting both his knee caps and elbow joints first. No matter how cold it is, never restrict your vision, be alert, its the killing time of year.

I notice out of these 4 one just before the attack horked on the floor of the place, lending one to think they are a spit on the ground crowd.

To keep things in perspective, I can’t tell from this any past history with these people. She may seem like a nice lady, but we can’t tell if some time before whether or not she had said Sieg Heil to someone, either them or someone they know. Audio may have been useful to provide information, we don’t know that either.

Would you clarify your statement? Not sure what you mean here, but even if she had given a “Sieg Heil” to one of his friends, that doesnt justify the fucking piece of trash kicking her down the stairs. 4 pieces of trash vs a lone female walking down a set of stairs?

BTW, according to German police, he was finally arrested and the victim had a broken arm for her trouble.

https://www.rt.com/news/370651-berlin-subway-attacker-detained/

Glad to hear this trash was caught. Agree with your point that no prior verbal exchange could come close to justifying this. Often videos don’t tell the whole story, but in this case it tells the only part that matters: 4 men in subway kick woman down stairs from behind.