T Nation

Site Injection Infection

my training partner got a huge knot on his glute and thinks it’s from the amp shard’s getting in. is this normal? he’s using IP gear. has anyone ever had an experience like this? he says it warm, way swollen, and hurts all the way into his back…

i’ve had small site injection irritation but never something like this. he just got antibiotics to help, but wants to know if this is normal?
thanx

I’m hoping he got the antibiotics from the doctor. An infection that is spreading up into his back should not be taken lightly.

It is highly unlikely to be shards from the amp… they are hardly gonna make it through the needle… even a 21-23G.

It does sould like an infection though. He needs to go to a doctor ASAP to get it seen to. They will give anti-biotics (at least) for 100% certain

If he ignores it, the infection will get into his blood stream and he.will.die.

If he starts to see red/dark lines running around the site, then ER asap.

OK? Good!

Joe

Dr. immediately. no questions asked. the last thing anyone wants is to become septic from infection. if worst comes to worst he will ahve to be cut open. but chances are IV anti biotics will be enough.

My buddy had an infection just like that. He said he was being stupid about injecting. Long storey short. He had to have it cut open and packed every day. No course of anti biotics would do the trick. So tell your friend to see a dr before it gets to that point.

I have a pretty big circular lump where i had been taking my shot’s on the right leg.

Doc told me it was scar tissue that had built up over time.

I would still have a doctor look at it to be on the safe side!

[quote]cat3slayer wrote:
my training partner got a huge knot on his glute and thinks it’s from the amp shard’s getting in. is this normal? he’s using IP gear. has anyone ever had an experience like this? he says it warm, way swollen, and hurts all the way into his back… [/quote]

Well your friend should know that this knot is really just that oil depot stuck outside the fascia of the target muscle, and not on the inside (where it should be)

Expect it to take awhile to dissipate and infection is certainly possible in the meantime, but hopefully he can avoid repeating this mistake in the future.

thanx guys. he went to the dr. got antibotics and is all better. he was told it was a combo of things: the oil build up, not keeping stuff sterile and the frequency he was doing it. now he’s doing less but twice a week and is keeping it very sterile. thanx for all the advice. the dr. was the right call…

Are they your legs? They look… painful.
Is it a genetic condition or an allergy or something? lol

I think it is the light or the way the phote was taken but you look like you have recently been very badly burnt!

(If you have in the past, i apologise and that any offence caused was unintentional…)

Joe

[quote]cat3slayer wrote:
thanx guys. he went to the dr. got antibotics and is all better. he was told it was a combo of things: the oil build up, not keeping stuff sterile and the frequency he was doing it. now he’s doing less but twice a week and is keeping it very sterile. thanx for all the advice. the dr. was the right call…[/quote]

Injecting into the same site too often will definately cause him issues as well. If the substance he is using calls for more frequent injections then he should rotate sites and use more, rather than change frequency.

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
Are they your legs? They look… painful.
Is it a genetic condition or an allergy or something? lol

I think it is the light or the way the phote was taken but you look like you have recently been very badly burnt!

(If you have in the past, i apologise and that any offence caused was unintentional…)

Joe[/quote]

lol. no those aren’t my legs- but they are sure ripped. i took my pic off b/c i didn’t want to run into any problems w/ ppl reconizing… maybe i’m just paranoid and a bad speller :slight_smile: