Sinus Infections

As far as potassium, the answer is a big YES. The doctor who “invented” the water cure says that the 4 most important elements to the body are oxygen, water, salt, potassium…in that order. The interesting thing is that potassium has to be taken in through whole food. The supplement form of potassium is extremely weak, reason being that if you ingest too much (in the pill form) it can stop your heart! Don’t worry, though, you can’t overdo potassium through whole food nutrition.

As far as how much to drink, go by your body weight. If you are 200 pounds you need at least 100 ounces of water. If you are 150 pounds, you need at least 75 ounces of water.

Keep in mind that water you ingest through juices and other beverages (like your protein drinks) does not count towards your daily intake. It must be good old fashioned plain water.

As far as signs of drinking too much water, I don't really know how to answer that. I think if you weigh 150 pounds and you drink 300 ounces of water per day that might overdo it. But again, the salt factor is extremely important here. If you find yourself nautious after drinking big glasses of water, that's a sign that you need to bump up your salt intake.

One last thing. I would definitely take a multivitamin while doing the water therapy. Most people do not get adequate vitamin/mineral intake as it is, and when you drink a lot of water these elements tend to get flushed out of your system. Adding a multi to your diet solves the problem.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Patricia,

I'm very confident that you will notice big changes in your asthma, and sooner rather than later. I also think your migraines will eventually go away as well.

Dehydration, as defined by the doctor who "invented" the water cure, does not just happen to elite athletes after a tough game. It's symptoms take many forms, and one of the most common is headaches.

The silver idea is intriguing, but I think good old fashioned sea salt will better suit the purpose (and be less costly!)

A couple of other things...like I told Tricky, the water must be pure. Water you mix in with protein drinks or water contained in juices doesn't count. It has to be plain water to count towards your daily intake.

Also, remember to bump up your water if you ingest anything that is prone to dehydrate you like coffee (or any supplement that acts as a diuretic). I would also take a multivitamin when doing the water therapy (I'm sure you do anyway, but just in case you don't...)

Keep me informed...nothing feels as good to me as helping out a fellow asthmatic.

Ok one thing to add to this. I am not familiar with the water cure but it seems sound. The only thing that has helped my asthma and allergies (they were so bad I had to go to the er several times in one month) has been diet. More omega-3s less carbs… Very little or no milk products. Asthma all but went away when I was on border line keto diet. More specifically Natural Hormone Enhancement diet. Then Anabolic diet. These are the times my body has felt best. Up your fat intake. Lower your carbs. I have found a diet 200gr or lower in carbs works pretty well. If I get an allergy flareup or asthma gets active. Then 60 gr carbs for one week and it is gone. Find what works for you though.

Mike,

Hey, thanks again! You know, I never ever thought about upping my water intake after drinking coffee. Being in the NW, coffee is almost considered water here! A typical NW native drinks at least three 12-oz cups a day! I did think I drank alot of water, but after reading your post, I'm beginning to wonder. Especially lately, when I've been experiencing more migraines than usual and the humidity has been passing 90%, so my asthma has been in full swing.

Ko is going to get sea salt from his restaurant to use for the water therapy. I'm looking forward to this. And will definitely keep you posted. This fellow asthmatic very much appreciates your help!

knuckledragger: I know what you mean about the carb intake being a trigger to asthma. And I already don't ingest milk/dairy products (except for a occasional drop of Nonfat milk with my oatmeal) - can't stand dairy anyways. And I do think dairy also can be a trigger for sinus infections - right? BUT I never ever thought about Omega-3. I have been really lax in taking my capsules - won't be so lax anymore!

I was just curious as to what type of sea salt you were using. Just plain old generic or a specific brand.

I have been a fan of sea salt for several years and since switching to sea salt about five years ago have not had a single sinus or respritory infection both of which I was prone to regularly. I buy a brand called Baleine in a long blue cylinder, usually in the regular spice section at the grocery store. It is also important that your seasalt be naturally cold processed and sun dried. I have read that naturally processed sea salt does not contribute to artery hardening.

I don’t really use any particular brand, just whatever the local food store has at the time. I know the website watercure2.com recommends a company to buy the sea salt from, but I’ve done just fine using the “cheaper” salt.

I’ve had a problem with food allergies triggering sinus infections read" Your Hidden Food Allergies are Making You Fat"as suggested by Paul Chek.
The watercure approach has also helped , the saline solution flush using a neti pot is much easier.A neti pot can usually be found in health food stores (ask the white guy with dreadlocks where to locate it).