Singularity Approaches

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2048138-1,00.html

Previous discussion here about Kurzweil’s book that died pretty quickly:

My thoughts:

• The idea of downloading your brain into a computer to become immortal seems impossible to me. You could be perceived immortal to the world if there was a carbon copy of you walking around after the “original you” had died, but your brain, and therefore, your consciousness, would still be dead. That’s not immortality, it’s just advanced cloning.

• Immortality has drastic implications for this planet. “Immortality for everyone” would be unsustainable due to the finite resources of this planet if we continued to reproduce at all. It would be the end of the human species.

• Becoming a cyborg would be badass as long as your brain could be sustained indefinitely and you could still get pleasure from the same things that gave you physical pleasure as a human (i.e. sex, food, lifting, etc).

This is a fun topic to think about.[/quote]

The planet’s resources aren’t finite. They are scarce but elastic. In fact, the more labor resources you have the more elastic they become.
So more people in free exchange = more resources available.

On the main topic of singularity:
What need would there be to imprint or transfer the mind onto/into a new medium when you could just regenerate the organic body in perpetuity? You would still need to maintain the wear and tear of an inorganic machine so the cost difference is minimal and maybe even non-existent.
[/quote]

Even elasticity has a limit. Hence, finite.