Single/Multiply Gear for Squats

I’ve recently started training in rehband warm pants.They feel great when squatting and deadlifts, keeping my hips warm and feeling slightly supported. I have used their knee sleeves for years. I’m older 58 and my days of competition are long gone.
Looking for some advice , on some loose fitting single or multiply briefs or suit to,train in. I wear the warm pants loosely, the knee sleeves snug. Any advice on gear and particular brands appreciated

@MarkKO might have some advice, he was using briefs at one point.

Check out Inzer Power Pants. They’re single ply and don’t come up as high as real briefs so you can get in and out easy. Also they are pretty inexpensive compared to more hardcore gear.

Power Pants are probably the way to go. You could also try some loose single ply briefs.

I use Titan’s single ply briefs. They work awesome! Get those. You won’t regret them.

Titan is typically best for single ply and Inzer typically has the multiply crowd

1 Like

Any advice on the superior or the centurion brief?
For sizing do you go with your waist size or 1 up for a looser fit
Thank you for the time

I like the Centurion or Super Centurion (I forget if they make briefs on both). Lifting Large has excellent sizing information.

Typically there are three size options. I started with a meet fit and they worked perfectly. Get the boxer briefs. Get the Centurion’s.

1 Like

I think I went with meet fit too. Had fun in those Centurions, although there’s no way in hell I could put them on now.

I have a few questions from a strongman perspective.

Is there any reason I would choose single ply when multiply is an option (ie. I can wear either or none). Do you need a deadlift suit or can you get away with a pulling in a squat suit?

I’m guessing you’d go with what works best for you. I’m pretty sure there’s less carryover from a suit pulling conventional, which will be a factor. @T3hPwnisher @strongmanvinny thoughts? Would how easy a suit is to get on be a factor?

1 Like

I only have experience playing around with a metal jack deadlifter.

I think the limiting factor with single ply suits is that they don’t come with Velcro adjusted straps, and that is a multiply only thing. I could be wrong though, but if that IS the case, multiply tends to be better because deadlift heights vary in strongman.

Ease of getting into a suit can play a factor if you have no help available, but even then, I didn’t find a jack all that difficult to get into.

2 Likes

You can get Titan single ply with velcro straps, possibly Metal as well but I’m not sure.

Ah, well there goes that then, haha. Yeah, just gonna depend on the lifter most likely. Contests that allow suits these days are getting to be fewer and fewer as it is.

I used my squat suit for the deadlift. At the time my best raw pull sumo was 462. Put the suit on and went 551. Personally, I got a lot out of it but not everyone does. It was just a single ply Spartan suit.

1 Like

Sumo isn’t permitted in strongman though, barring very few exceptions.

I’ve always wondered if that’s why some guys go with a wider stance for conventional, or is that just because they’re so damn big?

The large abdominal circumference is a significant contributor, but Kaz also theorized at seminar I attended that the pulling styles you see in modern strongman are the way that they are due to the high focus on atlas stones in training. The stance width is similar to what one would use to pick up a stone, and the type of strength in the back that stones develop results in the ability to pull deadlifts with far more back than hip recruitment. He talked about how, if you watched the deadlift style of earlier strongman (who only had access to stones in competition), they’d pull with a closer stance and really get their hips down low, while, once the stones became popular in training, hips got higher.

1 Like