T Nation

Single Leg Squats Rest Period

I’m wondering how do you properly do single leg squats. After I do squats on one leg do I do the other leg immediately or do I rest a bit? Also, if I do rest between legs then how long do I wait after doing both legs? Finally, what’s the rest period for each.

For the record, after doing single-leg squats on one leg I have been taking a rest, because I don’t feel I can give my full effort like I did on the first leg unless I rest.

It doesn’t matter. Whatever allows you to give your best effort.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I’m wondering how do you properly do single leg squats. After I do squats on one leg do I do the other leg immediately or do I rest a bit? Also, if I do rest between legs then how long do I wait after doing both legs? Finally, what’s the rest period for each.

For the record, after doing single-leg squats on one leg I have been taking a rest, because I don’t feel I can give my full effort like I did on the first leg unless I rest.

[/quote]

If I’m doing a 5x5 of pistols (or one-arm pushups or one arm chin progressions), I will do 5 x first, 5 x other, then rest 2-5 minutes depending. Then repeat 5 x. You can switch it up each set, if you started with your left, you can start with your right the next. I’ve always thought if I did 5x5 left leg, then 5x5 right leg I would be FAR less likely to complete the right leg than if I did them at the same time.

If one leg is more dominant, start with the weaker leg and match it with the stronger.

I usually do 10 with one leg then, rest for about 90 seconds because I need it, and then go for other leg.

Weaker leg first, then stronger leg, then rest. That’s how I like it.