T Nation

Single Leg Hip Thrust vs Glute Ham Raises


#1

I was wondering which exercise you think is The best, the single leg hip thrust with both feet and shoulders elevated, or The glute ham raise. The reason im interested is because they are the only exercises Who work both funktions of the hamstrings in one movement (i think), knee and hip . Just interested :slightly_smiling:


#2

The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what?


#3

squats


#4

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
squats[/quote]

That’s kind of a stupid answer, but yeah if you have to ask in the beginners section about what exercise to pick based off of functions of hamstrings then you probably shouldn’t be thinking about it. I abhor the mental masturbation newbies do, and especially hate how these newbies don’t even mentally masturbate about things which are important such as tonage, periodization, carryover, velocity, etc.


#5

Hip thrusts don’t really work the hamstrings that much; they are, however, great for your glutes. It’s a matter of priorities.


#6

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Hip thrusts don’t really work the hamstrings that much; they are, however, great for your glutes. It’s a matter of priorities.[/quote]

You can’t work the glutes without hamstrings involvement. Period.

With that said, they are both good exercises.
What’s best is subjective. Do it all. back ext, glute ham raise, hip thrusts into neck bridge, etc.


#7

[quote]Destrength wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
squats[/quote]

That’s kind of a stupid answer, but yeah if you have to ask in the beginners section about what exercise to pick based off of functions of hamstrings then you probably shouldn’t be thinking about it. I abhor the mental masturbation newbies do, and especially hate how these newbies don’t even mentally masturbate about things which are important such as tonage, periodization, carryover, velocity, etc. [/quote]

u wot m8


#8

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Hip thrusts don’t really work the hamstrings that much; they are, however, great for your glutes. It’s a matter of priorities.[/quote]

You can’t work the glutes without hamstrings involvement. Period.

With that said, they are both good exercises.
What’s best is subjective. Do it all. back ext, glute ham raise, hip thrusts into neck bridge, etc. [/quote]

I didn’t say that. However, with hip thrusts, it’s usually the glutes that do most of the work. I do agree with the second part of your post; there is rarely a need to restrict yourself to the one ‘best’ exercise.


#9

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Hip thrusts don’t really work the hamstrings that much; they are, however, great for your glutes. It’s a matter of priorities.[/quote]

You can’t work the glutes without hamstrings involvement. Period.

With that said, they are both good exercises.
What’s best is subjective. Do it all. back ext, glute ham raise, hip thrusts into neck bridge, etc. [/quote]

I didn’t say that. However, with hip thrusts, it’s usually the glutes that do most of the work. I do agree with the second part of your post; there is rarely a need to restrict yourself to the one ‘best’ exercise.
[/quote]

Right. The only way to isolate the hammie’s is through knee flexion, which happens in a glute ham raise. But it’s the story of standing calf raises to seated one’s.


#10

thanks guys, it wasn’t really that important i just wanted some thoughts :slight_smile:


#11

[quote]simonpersson wrote:
thanks guys, it wasn’t really that important i just wanted some thoughts :)[/quote]
It is actually kind of important because you’re trying to find a workaround instead of figuring out a way to do fundamental barbell work.

It really would benefit you to find a way to get into a gym and do some basic lifting. Your size, strength, speed, and “all around badass athleticism” could all be improved with a simple lifting routine instead of your bodyweight/dumbbell/funky exercise stuff.


#12

thanks, yes i know. Thing is i don’t have the time or the money to go to a gym, so i work out at home. And actually i am just interested,I know it doesn’t make much of a differance, I can’t even do the full Glute ham raise with hip extension at home.


#13

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.
[/quote]

A full range GHR has a back extension at the bottom. Of course, that requires a dedicated GHR unit.


#14

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..


#15

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..
[/quote]
I didn’t say hip thrust, i said single leg hip trust with full range of motion. On the way up there is a knee flexion.


#16

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..
[/quote]
I didn’t say hip thrust, i said single leg hip trust with full range of motion. On the way up there is a knee flexion. [/quote]

no, but tsantos did. And having your shoulders elevated… single leg… it’s still a hip thrust. And unfortunately, it’s a knee extension.

EDIT
I sound like a dick when I read that, and that’s because I am innately a dick, but I don’t mean the response to be pompous. A knee flexion would be a hamstring curl, whereas a knee extension would occur during a leg extension. Pushing up into a thrust would cause the legs to ‘unfold’. Hence, it’s an extension. Not much, but still an extension.


#17

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..
[/quote]
I didn’t say hip thrust, i said single leg hip trust with full range of motion. On the way up there is a knee flexion. [/quote]

no, but tsantos did. And having your shoulders elevated… single leg… it’s still a hip thrust. And unfortunately, it’s a knee extension.

EDIT
I sound like a dick when I read that, and that’s because I am innately a dick, but I don’t mean the response to be pompous. A knee flexion would be a hamstring curl, whereas a knee extension would occur during a leg extension. Pushing up into a thrust would cause the legs to ‘unfold’. Hence, it’s an extension. Not much, but still an extension. [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIpw8ogCVKs :wink:


#18

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..
[/quote]
I didn’t say hip thrust, i said single leg hip trust with full range of motion. On the way up there is a knee flexion. [/quote]

no, but tsantos did. And having your shoulders elevated… single leg… it’s still a hip thrust. And unfortunately, it’s a knee extension.

EDIT
I sound like a dick when I read that, and that’s because I am innately a dick, but I don’t mean the response to be pompous. A knee flexion would be a hamstring curl, whereas a knee extension would occur during a leg extension. Pushing up into a thrust would cause the legs to ‘unfold’. Hence, it’s an extension. Not much, but still an extension. [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIpw8ogCVKs :wink:
[/quote]

at full hip extension, there is knee extension.


#19

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]simonpersson wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
The range of motion in hip extension on the GHR and knee flexion on the hip thrusters is so short, I wouldn’t consider them as working both hamstring functions.

Better is an interesting question… Better for or what? [/quote]

I didn’t see this till now… but yea.

I can’t think of many other gym exercises that requires as much hip ext as a GHR would… and there is no knee flexion in a hip thrust. It’s a knee extension if anything…

And you wouldn’t consider them as ‘hamstring functions’?..
[/quote]
I didn’t say hip thrust, i said single leg hip trust with full range of motion. On the way up there is a knee flexion. [/quote]

no, but tsantos did. And having your shoulders elevated… single leg… it’s still a hip thrust. And unfortunately, it’s a knee extension.

EDIT
I sound like a dick when I read that, and that’s because I am innately a dick, but I don’t mean the response to be pompous. A knee flexion would be a hamstring curl, whereas a knee extension would occur during a leg extension. Pushing up into a thrust would cause the legs to ‘unfold’. Hence, it’s an extension. Not much, but still an extension. [/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIpw8ogCVKs :wink:
[/quote]

at full hip extension, there is knee extension.[/quote]
I know. Point is there is a knee flexion


#20

[quote]simonpersson wrote:
I can’t even do the full Glute ham raise with hip extension at home. [/quote]

How are you doing GHRs at the moment?