Single Best Exercise

Speaking of triceps kickbacks, I saw a new phenomenon.

Have you seen a “pump” kickback? The dude is using a weight that’s too heavy to press back in a controlled manner, so instead he turns it into a bicep curl/tricep kickback. That allows him to take advantage of a pendulum-like momentum that helps him press it back.

I couldn’t use the bench I wanted to because he had his leg braced against it. Braced. Simply so he could work his arms.

[quote]sic wrote:
RenegadeRose wrote:
OH SQUAT. Learn it. Love it. It does EVERYTHING.

I need pointers with this. I always seem to have problems knowing what to do with my shoulders. Obviously they need to be locked to keep the arms and bar stable. Can you describe what you do when you lock them out? Do you try to pinch shoulder blades together? Do you rotate them backwards? Are your elbows locked or soft?[/quote]

Hey sic,

The shoulders should be “active”. This means basically traps completely contracted tightly pretty much up by your ears. You ought to keep shoulders active in any overhead move…you’ll get more weight up this way. The head can be slightly lifted (to assist correct posture). The bar should be as directly overhead as you can get it (though naturally drifting back a little further behind the head with a heavier load is to be expected and fine). The shoulder blades ought to be pulled back but only insofar as they normally should be in all lifts to maintain proper posture (shoulders rolled back, chest high, ribcage lifted, abdominals braced) The arms are locked…and the grip in an OH Squat is important. Are you at all familiar with passthroughs? Practicing these are a good way to not only find your optimal OH Squat grip but improve your shoulder flexibility. I like to take something more like a snatch grip than a clean grip for OH squatting.

I know there’s a lot of Crossfit-T-Nation rivalry round these parts (it’s stupid…because really…“absorb what is useful, reject what is useless” - bruce lee) BUT…my self-obsessed myspace page has my favorite vid in the world of Nicole of Crossfit working up to OH squatting her BW (125lbs.)x 15. That’s no small feat and her form is impeccable when she does this: Erin Davidson (frecklesandalmonds) on Myspace. When I was at a cert a few weeks ago she OH squatted 185 over a lunch break. I’d say whatever she’s doing is worth looking into.

That said, I also love your contributions to this forum and I’m grateful for them. :o) I don’t get to post as much as I’d like but I’m pretty sure that you’ve been a part of a lot of the progress the women in this forum make in “real life”. Keep up the great work.

Clean and press (5x5)
Squat (1x20)
Chins (2x max)
Pullups (2xmax)
Roman chair sit ups (3x25)
Hyper extensions (3x25)

Or this combo, do the following exercises one after another is one set.

Clean, front squat, press and then lower to back, back squat, Good morning, press and lower to front, front squat, lower to thighs and then SLDL and then lower bar to floor, rest 5-10 sec and repeat. You’ll start with a weight that may seem light however it gets difficult. Try to get 10 sets and then add weight next workout.

God for a short duration.

Quads:Squats
Hamstrings:SLDL
Back: Deadlift
Chest:Dumbbell Bench Press
Biceps:Barbell/DB Curls
Triceps:Plated Bench Dips (for me this works amazingly well!)
Shoulders: DB Shouder Press
Abs: I need to train abs more, so I can’t say!

Squat, bench press, row, push press, power clean. Accessory/rehab stuff if needed.

[quote]sic wrote:
I’m putting together a new program and I thought I’d get some input.

If you had limited time to train and could only do one or two exercises per muscle group, what would you pick? Keep in mind that it should be what you consider to be the most effective and/or most fun.

I’m looking for suggestions on:

Quads
Hammies
Back
Chest
Biceps
Triceps
Shoulders
Abs[/quote]

Squat Presses are a great total body blaster or light snatches/OH squat complexes.