Single-Arm Rows with 30-10-30?

Hi Dr. Darden,

Purchased your Extreme HIT and look forward to getting started. In terms of exercise substitutions I wondered at your thoughts on one-armed DB Rows replacing Bentover Rows in the program? Bentover rows always tend to aggravate my back, but I wasn’t sure if doing single-arm exercises is recommended with the 30-10-30 style? My other option would be replacing with resistance band lat pulldowns (unfortunately gyms are still closed in my country so I don’t have access to machine alternatives.). Thanks in advance - I did the 30-10-30 program from Killing Fat earlier this year and really enjoyed it so excited to try this new version!

Okay, try the one dumbbell row instead of the bentover row with a barbell. Let me know how it blends with the other exercises.

Barbell rows can bother my back as well. But I find one arm DB rows very boring. But lightening up a little, I can use DBs with both arms at the same time as a row and alleviate lower back problems. Not sure how that would be with 30-sec negatives though. I’m talking more about regular reps.

Another alternative you might consider is doing dumbbell rows lying face down on a bench. I find these more interesting and efficient than single arm rows but you might need to elevate both ends of the bench slightly to give yourself a full ROM.

Regards,

Andrew

I believe that is sometimes called a seal row.

Agreed I really like those too - unfortunately my bench at home is pretty low to the ground so can’t get a very good ROM with them (definitely can’t wait to have gyms open up and get some more variety!)

This is the ONLY lat exercise I do now (akin to Nautilus pullovers with free weights). It expanded my already wide back in 2 weeks!

Interesting video. I’ve been doing PO-PDs, like that first exercise, for years. Except I do them with a single handle and my hands interlaced. Takes the grip and forearms almost completely out of the movement.

Thats a great exercise! Have done it when I had access to lat pulldown. Workin at home on nautilus torso arm now

Thanks for posting. Noted (a) a continuous pumping movement (no holding in any position of the ROM), (b) short range (targeting the muscle belly where you want the tension to be), (c) moderate weights. Not necessarily, but quite probably, more reps than 8-12 (15-20 or more?), since this is like doing middle range reps in JReps/Zones) and several sets (or stacking three exercises in a triple-set version).