T Nation

Single Arm Exercises Repair Muscle Imbalances?

I have quite noticeable imbalances in my shoulders and chest, my left shoulder and pec have trouble keeping up and seem to be the limiting factor in my lifts.

I was wondering if there is any merit to doing overhead press, true OHP form not military press, with dumbbells, extend overhead rather than infront, squeeze it as far up as possible etc.

I notice when I do this it means I have to use less than half the load I use on a barbell, stabilizing it seems to be the main issue.

so for my first upper body day I was thinking of changing the OHP with barbell to dumbbell, not one in each ahnd but one at a time to focus more on the stabilising aspect of the movement.

same with bench or chest press. Any thoughts on this.

I'm presuming you haven't had any injuries to the shoulders, arms, chest, or back, correct?

Huh? I don't follow. Any chance you have a video (yourself or someone else) with this form, because I can't quite picture it?

One-arm presses for chest or shoulders would be a fine place to start in order to address/work to correct an imbalance. Start with the weaker/less developed side, do your sets and reps, and then do the same sets and reps with the "good" side even though it should be a submaximal effort for that side.

Thanks for the reply dude. When I said OHP form I meant to do an overhead press form where the bar goes above your head, fully extended like mark rippetoe starting strength video shows,as opposed to what I see most guys doing at the gym which is lifting the bar in front of them. I just took it for granted they were doing a military press, maybe they are just doing an OHP with bad form.

Form I use:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGJFjYyA40ss

Thanks for the reply dude. When I said OHP form I meant to do an overhead press form where the bar goes above your head, fully extended like mark rippetoe starting strength video shows,as opposed to what I see most guys doing at the gym which is lifting the bar in front of them. I just took it for granted they were doing a military press, maybe they are just doing an OHP with bad form.

Form I use:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGJFjYyA40ss

Fixed the video link:

Here is the problem.

And this is by far the most prevalent problem people have when it comes to lifting whether it be back pain or any other pain, not getting stronger, not building muscle, imbalances, etc..

People, yourself included, think they can just start lifting and "work hard" to get somewhere. "Just go deadlift bro add weight to the bar man"

That is the dumbest most fucking retarded mentality.

The reality of things is that WHEN your body is properly working and balanced within reason, you should be able to easily get stronger, add muscle and be injury free as long as you follow the basics of form.

Almost every issue on this beginner board could be fixed by following the basics of corrective exercise, which no one ever does.

I would say that a good portion of the people in the beginner board, possibly even most, are effectively clueless about corrective exercise. Myself included.

I realize you're frustrated with the apparent ignorance on this board, but I think you should treat it as exactly that: ignorance. Not willful avoidance, but simply a lack of knowledge. You seem to have knowledge to contribute, and I'm sure plenty could learn from it.

I'm not mad or anything, I swear and am emphatic just so people will listen a bit more, but I'm not mad about it.

Funnily enough I read a thread about stretching and foam rolling and thought I would give it a try. I could not even do a bodysquat with correct form because of hip mobility issues. Not only have I added around 25lbs to my squat from when i was doing bad form I can now squat with perfect form and I am pretty sure I have saved myself from early hip deterioration earlier into my later life.

I think the muscular imbalances come from my job, I am constantly using one side of my body which means one side if far more developed.

I don't suppose you'll be leaving your job anytime soon, so it's definitely something worth addressing with whatever prehab/mobility/healthy stuff you find appropriate. It's the very definition of "functional training" - using exercises that maintain health and performance within the bigger context of your 24/7 daily life.

Also, don't forget that everything's connected in a muscular sense. A chest and/or shoulder issue could be connected (or lead to) upper back issues which could possibly run down the erectors to the hips, glutes, and hamstrings. It's wild once you start getting into it, but to avoid getting overwhelmed, just try to stay healthy all-around especially if you're in daily situations that encourage imbalance. You can dial corrective work down a bit once things seem "fixed" but don't settle or they run the risk of popping up again.

Lastly, if you're following Rippetoe's form advice for overhead presses, you're golden.