T Nation

Simple Program to Get Strength Back Up

Hi guys im new here, first ever post! Im in need of a little help in programming to get my strength back to where i want it. I was a three-sport athlete in high school (football,wrestling,water polo) so i never had a problem with missing workouts. I worked out once to twice a days for about hour for each session. To make a long story short sports did wonders for me, as I bulked up for 130-pound freshman to a 200 pound senior. My lifts at the end of high school were something like this

6’0 200

Bench- 240
Squat- 340
Power Clean- 200
Deadlift- 315
Press- 150

These numbers arent spectacular, but i feel like they were pretty good for an 18-year old. However I went to college, joined a frat, drank a lotta beer and got fat. I messed around with a lot of different programs before settling on Crossfit to get back in shape. Say what you want about Crossfit, but it did get me back in shape and i am now lighter (195) than i was in high school. However, ive gotten puny. My lifts now are

6’0 195

Bench- 200 (maybe, havent maxed in awhile)
Squat- 260
Power Clean- 175
Deadlift-275
Press- 135

As you can see signifagant drop off. So i was wondering if i can get any suggestions on a simple program that’ll start me back on the track to strength-dom! Oh and religon aside Happy Easter everyone!

5/3/1

do it as written. Its a great, simple program that will work.

cant help you on your question, but check your squat depth.

5/3/1 is NOT a powerlifting program, it is THE powerlifting program. Use it for squat and deadlift for optimal maximum result gains.

For bench press I recommend sheiko or westside as they are more science based and superior for the bench.

For the power clean and the press I recommend the Broz method since they are not powerlifts. You can also do the russian method or the chinese method, but the Broz protocol has a local flavor to it so you should prefer it. If you’re not American you can replace the Broz method with the Bulgarian method for optimal maximum result gains

Starting Strength

Starting Strength will suit must beginners needs.

and stop crossfitting

[quote]hastalles wrote:
cant help you on your question, but check your squat depth.[/quote]

ugh. What does that even have to do with anything? It isn’t that odd to squat more than you dead-lift.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:

ugh. What does that even have to do with anything? It isn’t that odd to squat more than you dead-lift.[/quote]

For most raw lifters, especially beginners, it’s pretty uncommon.

[quote]hastalles wrote:

ugh. What does that even have to do with anything? It isn’t that odd to squat more than you dead-lift.[/quote]

Just check it.

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]hastalles wrote:

Just check it.[/quote]

Yes, it is quite odd. One of the major reasons why your squat may be higher than your deadlift is because you have knee wraps on. Otherwise it’s usually a form issue.

Or you have weak(er) grip, hamstrings, erectors, etc. Yes all these things play a role in a raw squat, but not as much as a deadlift. It’s not uncommon at all. I do agree in beginners it’s less common, but for intermediate to advanced lifters it isn’t even odd.

having a higher squat then dl isnt too un common… I have a slightly higher squat than dl, 325 squat, 320 deadlift.

Hell, I squatted 225 when I can only get 190 for dl.

But that was grip problem. dnt laugh lol.

Im doing 275 and 290 now though.

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:

For most raw lifters, especially beginners, it’s pretty uncommon.
[/quote]

and the most common reason for a higher squat at that level is depth (lack of).

To bring the original question back: Do a 5x5 program for 3-6 months and then do 5/3/1 for powerlifting. I think a 5x5 for a beginner will take advantage of the newbie gains while you can. Then once those have gone away, you can do 5/3/1 as a long term solution for athletic development.

[quote]louiek wrote:
To bring the original question back: Do a 5x5 program for 3-6 months and then do 5/3/1 for powerlifting. I think a 5x5 for a beginner will take advantage of the newbie gains while you can. Then once those have gone away, you can do 5/3/1 as a long term solution for athletic development.[/quote]
x2