Simple Program for a Beginner

Hello everyone. I recently joined the community. I, too, am a beginning. I’ve come here to seek advice. Looking for a decent starting workout program as well as information on how to eat properly and so on.
Something “simple” enough to get good outcomes, as well as someone to explain. If you know of any useful articles about nutrition on this forum, please share them.
Thank you in advance.

Provide some background about yourself. Gender, age, height, weight, level of fitness etc. What goals are you seeking out of your new program? That should help get someone started.

1 Like

Do you also go to the grocery store and ask the cashier for food suggestions?

1. Scroll up

2. Click here:

3. and search “beginner”.

This website has literally about 3500 articles written by top-tier trainers, many of which have their name followed by a PhD, many others which have trained (and are currently training) world class athletes.

1 Like

I think these are good starting points for a complete beginner and with zero information about said beginner-

2 Likes

I am naturally quite skinny. My ex used to bully me all the time for that.
I didn’t exercise before. Since March I am jogging a couple of times a week.
Male, 33 y.o., 69 in, 143 lbs

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, man, I am just looking for a point to start. So, I thought people here can help me.

1 Like

I would strongly recommend you start with 5/3/1 as it will get you strong, get you big, and give you an excellent foundation to build your training on.

5/3/1 can also be used pretty much indefinitely too, if that lines up with your goals.

3 Likes

Thank you. I searched for 5/3/1. Here is said this is generally recommended for intermediate athletes, not for beginners An in-depth look at Wendler's 5/3/1 - LIFT.net

The author of the program has said otherwise. I would listen to him

6 Likes

The most important thing really is to not think too hard on any of this stuff. The basic point remains the same-

Eat a lot of healthy food and train everything really hard. Eat more and do recovery stuff if you’re under recovering. Eat less if you’re getting fluffier than you’d like.

It takes years to build anything if you’re not using drugs.

1 Like

You really can’t lift weights wrong. I wouldn’t overanalyze any of the professionally written programs.
Anything suggest above is a good option.

1 Like

stronglifts 5x5 app on android or iphone. has videos to teach you the movements.

chances are, somewhere around the 6 month mark it will be time to move onto 5/3/1

3 Likes

People always look for excuses to NOT do something lol

4 Likes

Challenge accepted

3 Likes

I’d say 12 weeks. But SL a good starter.

If the structure of SL takes your fancy you can keep the fully body 3x a week thing going.

Bench, squat, row or pull up (pick any)

Deadlift variation, press, row or pull up

Pick a weight you can do 3x8 work hard and eat well. Once you can do 3x12 with that weight slap on another 5lb/kg. Go back to 3x8 ish. Start again.

This sort of overly simple training will make you the envy of 99% of men.

1 Like

Thanks, guys, for all your replies!!!

How’s it been going? What did you pick?

Thanks for asking. I’m working out 3 days per week for a couple of weeks now. Quite hard to keep on track for me.
I do aerobic training, then some stretching and mail exercise. Found a good dumbbell exercise chart and follow it one by one.

Great! Consistency is the key. Probably not the plan any of us would (or did) suggest, but it’s the one you’re actually doing so it’s the best!

2 Likes