285x8
285x8
285x6
285x6

RUN
1 Mile Run

CURLS / LATERALS
100 reps each

So I’m basically using double progression now. Sticking to a weight until I can get to 5x8 by it and then will add 20lbs and will go down to 5x3 or 5x4 and build back up. This way I stick with the same weights for a while (4-8 weeks) and really master them. Also like the fact of adding reps before weight. I think I am getting much stronger this way even if my top weights are not as heavy right now. Basically periodization without being periodization I guess lol.

My trick is hitting 5x8 for a certain weight 2 workouts in a row before adding the 20lbs. This will ensure I can actually hit 5x8 vs just having a good day. Different lifts will build at different times, but I think it’ll all balance out at the the end.

This is a very valuable understanding. Glad you were able to reach it. You will unlock a lot with this.

Do you use them for mostly deadlifts and rows?

Today with deadlifts my deadlifts felt WAY easier. Ran a bit out of gas (more due to conditioning recently), but the grip wasn’t my limiting factor. I could keep pushing and felt my hams/glutes/back doing all the work vs worrying about my grip slipping. Especially since I only do double OH grip exclusively.

I use them for all sorts of back work. Deadlifts, different variations of rows, pulldowns, etc. I’ve used them on farmer’s walks as well. Pretty much anytime I don’t want my grip to be the limiting factor.

So my only question with this is what do you do to build your grip then?

For example: Deadlift, if I can do 405 for 5 sets of 8 with straps what would I have to do to be able to do it without straps? Just build a bigger deadlift with straps or just keep doing heavy rows, lots of chins and farmers walks?

Basically I want to get to a point where grip won’t be the limiting factor for heavier weights?

I just want to make sure that I don’t use the straps as a crutch vs using them to actually just get stronger.

Captains of crush grippers held closed for time, and barbell/axle double overhand holds for time.

The last one is super easy. At the end of your deadlift workout, take a plate or 2 off the bar, pull a rep, and hold it until you can’t. When you get to 90 seconds, up the weight.

Thanks man, will have to give that a try next week!

SWIMMING

60 Minutes of both swim sprints, easy swims and just doing some laps. Nothing works my lungs harder than swimming!

Question for anyone following along.

Since I am doing a squat/push/pull/hinge setup, are there any accessory exercises that you guys feel I should add to maintain balance?

MONDAY
Back Squat
OH Press
Pendlay Row
Weighted Back Ext

WEDNESDAY
Deadlift
Bench Press
Chin-Ups
Front Squat

FRIDAY
Back Squat
OH Press
BB Row
RDL

I’m thinking what I should add is lunges, ab work, curls, dips, and a weighted carry.

Any advice?

IMO, this is where a pic would be helpful. With the weight you are moving any “lagging” body parts should be noticed.

Unless you are competing I would not worry too much about balance. Keep hitting those compounds and everything will be “balanced” enough. I would add in the accessory work in the areas you would like accentuated. If you just want to look good and built even in a t shirt you could add laterals, upper chest work, triceps, traps.

Now that is one area I am def lacking. Thanks man you are right. I feel like my body looks balanced, but as the weights go further up didn’t know if I’d be missing anything. I def have the benchers chest though. Chest looks much better in a shirt than without lol.

BACK SQUAT
405x3
405x3
405x3
405x2
405x2

OH PRESS / BB ROW
155x8 / 245x10
155x8 / 245x10
155x8 / 245x10
155x8 / 245x10
155x5 / 245x10

BACK EXT / AB WHEEL
5x15 each

SPRINTS
5 - 40 yard sprints

MUAY THAI
45 min sparring

CURLS - 100 reps
LATERALS - 75 reps
BAND PULL APARTS - 200 reps

A bit late here, will try those BB deadlift holds to up my grip strength.

Curls lots of curls helps on everything. Nah just joking.

You just said the most I would have suggested. I might suggest some shoulder stuff. How about some explosive movements like SGHP, cleans, OLY stuff.

DEADLIFT (w/ straps)
365x8
365x8
365x8
365x8
365x8
Going up to 385 next week and will stick with it until I can do 5x8 @ 385 w/ 1:30 rest between sets

BENCH PRESS / PULL-UPS
235x8 / x12
235x8 / x12
235x8 / x12
235x8 / x12
235x8 / x12
Going up to 255 next week and will stick with it until I can do 5x8 @ 255 w/ 1:30 rest between sets

FRONT SQUAT
285x8
285x8
285x8
285x7
285x7

RUN
1 Mile Run

NOTES
I’m loving my new programming. I feel motivated when I’m in the gym and my progression scheme is super simple. It’s get to 5x8 at a certain weight and then bump it up 20lbs and start again. Plus I feel like I’m getting stronger even if I’m not handling on top weights all the time. I think because of my short limbs I respond very well to compound movements, I don’t need a lot of variation to stay or get strong.

Genetics determine your ceiling, but simple consistent hard work will determine your floor. I don’t know if anyone has said that, but that’s how I’ve been feeling lately.

BTW if anyone is interested in what the secret to my gains are I think I found out. It’s eating a lot of lentils lol. Packed full of carbs and proteins and are delicious over rice!

Hey man, I’ve been checking in on your log periodically. You’ve been making some great progress. Keep it up!

Question for you. How do you feel your bench is progressing doing the lift only once a week? 5 sets a week seems like pretty low volume, but you are doing quite a bit of OHP, so I’m sure that helps.

Nice to have you following, appreciate it!

I went from a 155 @ 5x5 to a 235 @ 5x8 in the past 2 years from maybe 95% of the time benching only once a week seems to work fine for me lol. It’s a slow build, but I’m ok with that.

I don’t really care for bench, but I do it for now because it’s a convenient way to get stronger pressing muscles. My main priority is OHP so bench is more of an afterthought that slowly just gets stronger. I mean I do a lot of dips, push ups, and occasionally laterals and db pressing so my shoulders/triceps/chest get plenty of stimulation overall.

I also do 10-20 total sets of OHP each week and my OH press has a direct carry over to my bench so I know that helps A LOT.

Plus I’d rather OH Press (whether strict or push) 315 than bench 315 :slight_smile:

So when are you getting into strongman? :wink:

I hear ya. My lower chest blows up if I just look at a flat bench. So, I’m thinking about lowering bench frequency to once a week like you’ve done. Incidentally, I feel quite a bit of upper chest activation on OHP. And, I don’t (think I) lean back excessively.

How have you been working this into your current programing? Current program seems very minimal in terms of exercise selection.

That would put you in a very exclusive club. I hope you get it!