Simple Hypertrophy Question

I’m changing up my routine to more of hypertrophy and then switching it up to hypertrophy/strength to maintain strength. Lets say I plan to do 3-4 sets of 10 on the bench with 1 minute rest in between sets.

Do I pick a weight that I can do all 10 reps in all sets or do I pick a weight that I cant get all 10 reps in on every set? I ask because some people say once I can do all the reps, I should up the weight.

It’s a personal choice, based on what you feel allows you to progress in poundage the fastest while still maintaining form and focus.

Small shit like this doesn’t matter in the long haul. After the years pile up, you will have went through multiple phases of trying every rep scheme in exsistance. So basically, either will work. Just keep pushing the progression elements.

Like the two others before me have said, it’s a personal choice. Personally, I would go for a rep range of 8-10, 8-12, or 10-12, instead of only saying I need to hit exactly ten reps. Its not that much of a difference if you get 9 reps or 11 reps.

Say you do your first set of bench press with 185 pounds; you complete 11 reps on the first set, keep the weight and only get 7 reps and one assisted rep on the second set, then you should decrease the weight for the next set by a small amount to fall closer to the number you want. After a few workouts of recording your weights, you should have an idea what you should be able to do.

[quote]sed wrote:
I’m changing up my routine to more of hypertrophy and then switching it up to hypertrophy/strength to maintain strength. Lets say I plan to do 3-4 sets of 10 on the bench with 1 minute rest in between sets.

Do I pick a weight that I can do all 10 reps in all sets or do I pick a weight that I cant get all 10 reps in on every set? I ask because some people say once I can do all the reps, I should up the weight.[/quote]

Why do people care about this shit?

WTF?

I;m betting the next question is going to be: “Hey guyz, my hypertrophy program is making me weak. What do I do?”

[quote]sed wrote:
I’m changing up my routine to more of hypertrophy and then switching it up to hypertrophy/strength to maintain strength. [/quote]

Kid, sufficient workload (volume) is absolutely REQUIRED to build muscle, but it is not the driving factor behind hypertrophy, apart from switching up volume to kick start gains or change things up.
Progression is the driving factor behind hypertrophy (as in load, TUT, rest between sets).

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
sed wrote:

Do I pick a weight that I can do all 10 reps in all sets or do I pick a weight that I cant get all 10 reps in on every set? I ask because some people say once I can do all the reps, I should up the weight.

Why do people care about this shit?[/quote]

How do you only train for hypertrophy and not gain strength? Is there even one person living who gets bigger…and WEAKER?

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Kid, sufficient workload (volume) is absolutely REQUIRED to build muscle, but it is not the driving factor behind hypertrophy, apart from switching up volume to kick start gains or change things up.
Progression is the driving factor behind hypertrophy (as in load, TUT, rest between sets). [/quote]

what you said is correct, a combination of load, TUT, rest between sets. ACSM guideline for hypertrophy are typically 8-12 reps, this allows for TUT witha temp of 301, sets of 3 or more and rest in the ball park of 90secs.

Prof. X is also correct in saying theat you have never seen a athlete traing strictly for hyp and not get strength gains, thus your focus shouldnt just be on hyp, and its training.