Simple GOV Question, Need Some Help

I’m wingin this class this semester because I don’t see the need to spend time on elective gov class. Not that I don’t respect it, its just not as high a priority as my actual major studies…regardless I won’t end up with less than a B because fuck it, its frosh a-gov.

anyway, this question is giving me problems

How are the standards for libel different for public figures compared to ordinary citizens?

anyone have any guidance for me?

answer? anything?

IMMORTAL

As a technical answer, a difference exists in that for a public figure, to prove libel it must be proven that a statement was known to be false or was published with reckless disregard for truth.

Whereas in general, it is not necessary that the statement was known to be false. Having been made in good faith and with reasonable belief of being true is usually a sufficient defense in the case of persons other than public figures.

Now, in practice there may be more to it than this.

Yeah but I charge $190 an hour.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Yeah but I charge $190 an hour. [/quote]

girl, look at you! I doubt I could last an hour with that

or are you talking about something else?

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
As a technical answer, a difference exists in that for a public figure, to prove libel it must be proven that a statement was known to be false or was published with reckless disregard for truth.

Whereas in general, it is not necessary that the statement was known to be false. Having been made in good faith and with reasonable belief of being true is usually a sufficient defense in the case of persons other than public figures.

Now, in practice there may be more to it than this.[/quote]

Bill Roberts! Thanks for that! You may be stuff as a tombstone but you have a twisted brain. (compliment)

the answer just seems more clear on this board vs a book…if that makes any sense

Yeah but I charge $190 an hour. [/quote]

wow, that is a very reasonable rate, well for out here at least

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
the answer just seems more clear on this board vs a book…if that makes any sense[/quote]

Often, a problem with books is that the author is motivated to stretch each given thing discussed, rather than to compress it into something short and clear.

Though I see now that I used more words than necessary above. Still, I expect it was a lot less than the book used.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

wow, that is a very reasonable rate, well for out here at least[/quote]

Yeah, Denver rates are waaay lower than bigger cities. I started out at 175, have been as high as 195. Had I stayed at my original firm I’d be around 205-210 right now, which is still pretty cheap.

countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

Yeah, Denver rates are waaay lower than bigger cities. I started out at 175, have been as high as 195. Had I stayed at my original firm I’d be around 205-210 right now, which is still pretty cheap. [/quote]

I would have a 24 hour erection if I could find competent legal services for 210 an hour.

LOL. I feel like I get assraped after reading this.

pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

Yeah, Denver rates are waaay lower than bigger cities. I started out at 175, have been as high as 195. Had I stayed at my original firm I’d be around 205-210 right now, which is still pretty cheap.

I would have a 24 hour erection if I could find competent legal services for 210 an hour.

LOL. I feel like I get assraped after reading this.[/quote]

HI:) You called?

[quote]imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

HI:) You called? [/quote]

lmao… Yes sir, I’m a bit lonely. I was gonna just cry into some legal invoices and surf for eye liner & skinny jeans, but if your free…

pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

LOL. I feel like I get assraped after reading this.[/quote]

Smaller firms and local firms are almost always more reasonable.

imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

lmao… Yes sir, I’m a bit lonely. I was gonna just cry into some legal invoices and surf for eye liner & skinny jeans, but if your free…[/quote]

I only charge 100 an hour, and you can borrow my eyeliner. I have a vast array of colors.

You won’t need pants.

countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

[/quote]

Lol, my senior partners are around 210. We are very small. Good lawyers here, your looking at upwards of 1,500 for a few phone calls, two emails and a stupid memo.

I have called my buddy more than once, even though he is a dumbass, he can normally point me in the right direction.

Wow, saturday night and I’m on the interwebs talking about billings and buttsex… I’m okay with that

[quote]imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

lmao… Yes sir, I’m a bit lonely. I was gonna just cry into some legal invoices and surf for eye liner & skinny jeans, but if your free…

I only charge 100 an hour, and you can borrow my eyeliner. I have a vast array of colors.

You won’t need pants.[/quote]

If I pay 110, will you wear the black outfit again?

imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

You won’t need pants.

If I pay 110, will you wear the black outfit again?[/quote]

Make it 111.04 and it’s a deal. Oh, I have just the heels to go with that outfit!!! You’re gonna LOVE it!!

Goddamn, I can’t wait to go on vacation in two weeks…

imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

You won’t need pants.

If I pay 110, will you wear the black outfit again?[/quote]

Ct. Ingbeans! get the fuck out of my thread!!!

[quote]imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
imhungry wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

You won’t need pants.

If I pay 110, will you wear the black outfit again?

Make it 111.04 and it’s a deal. Oh, I have just the heels to go with that outfit!!! You’re gonna LOVE it!!

Goddamn, I can’t wait to go on vacation in two weeks…[/quote]

get out!! in the name of all things unholy!!

LEAVE!

countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

[/quote]

YOU LEAVE AS WELL! FUCKING GO!

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Ct. Rockula wrote:
the answer just seems more clear on this board vs a book…if that makes any sense

Often, a problem with books is that the author is motivated to stretch each given thing discussed, rather than to compress it into something short and clear.

Though I see now that I used more words than necessary above. Still, I expect it was a lot less than the book used.
[/quote]

totally, the book has a 26 page chapter onlibel. I got lkost in the circling of the same words over and over.