T Nation

Simple but Effective Routine - Comments?

I used this to great effect before christmas and will be going back to it. Not necessarily a bodybuilding programme but will add a lot of lean muscle and reduce body fat. Using the main compound exercises working the main muscle groups twice per week with a few variations.

Workout 1 - Saturday - Legs Back Biceps

Cleans 5 5 5
Barbell Squat 12 10 8 6
Barbell Deadlift 8 6 4
Barbell Bent Over Row 12 10 8 6
Pull Up (underhand grip) 10 8 6
Barbell Upright Row 12 10 8
Dumbbell Reverse Fly (rear delts) 10 10 10
Preacher Curl 10 8 6

Workout 2 - Sunday - Chest Shoulders Triceps Abs

Barbell Bench Press 12 10 8 6
Dumbbell Incline Chest Press 10 8 6
Dips 10 8 6
Dumbbell Fly 10 10 10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10 8 6
Dumbbell Lat raise 10 10 10
Ez bar skull crusher 10 8 6
Hanging leg raise 10 10 10
Hanging leg Raise to side 10 10 10
Ab curl machine 10 10 10
Plank x 3 sets hold as long as possible

Workout 3 - Tuesday - Legs Back Biceps

Cleans 5 5 5
Barbell Front Squat 12 10 8 6
Barbell Deadlift 8 6 4
Barbell Bent Over Row (underhand grip) 12 10 8 6
Chin up (overhand grip) 10 8 6
Upright Row 12 10 8
Dumbbell Reverse Fly 10 10 10
Dumbbell Incline Bicep Curl 10 8 6

Workout 4 - Thursday - Chest Shoulders Triceps Abs

Dumbbell Chest Press 12 10 8 6
Incline Bench Press 10 8 6
Dips 10 8 6
Cable Fly 10 10 10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10 8 6
Dumbbell Lat Raise 10 10 10
Triceps Pushdown 10 8 6
Hanging Leg Raise 10 10 10
Hanging Leg Raise to Side 10 10 10
Ab Curl Machine 10 10 10
Plank x 3 sets

I always start with a 6 min warm up on rower for each session.

For most of the exercises I take a 1 min rest between sets, increasing the weight/lowering the reps after each set.

However for the cleans and deadlifts which I consider more strength exercises, and i’m using lower reps I take a full three min rest between sets.

If I really want to crank up the fat burning ill do a 20 min interval session on the treadmill on leg back and bicep days (at end of session), allowing legs complete recovery on other days.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday are all rest days

Any comments or suggestions for improvement…?

I would move some of the wednesday exercises. You have 3 big compound lifts followed by 5 more other lifts. That’s a shit load of volume! Cleans, Front Squats, and Deadlifts? Are you getting results from this?

Yeah I know but if I moved for example deadlifts to another day it would mean Im working legs again on that day. This way im working some muscle groups for example legs and back then having 2 or 3 complete rest days before I train the same areas again. This was working well but obviously your nutrition and recovery needs to be good, and plenty of sleep is a must!

Also I was not taking every set to complete failure i forgot to mention that. My strength and definiion was improving quicker than when I used to train each muscle group only once per week.

We need numbers, what were your lifts before you started this and what were your peak numbers on this programme…?

Yes most importantly, give us stats.

IMO, way too much volume, if you have any degree of intensity with this program.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

IMO, way too much volume, if you have any degree of intensity with this program. [/quote]

This should be extremely clear to anyone whos been seriously lifting for a few years.

OP There is no way in the world you can claim a routine is capable of “adding a lot of lean muscle AND reducing bodyfat”. If that were the case you have just discovered the single best routine for bodybuilders EVER.

I understand that this is in the beginners section and many beginners start out at a point where it is possible to get stronger (probably adding muscle) and lose fat at the same time. However, that phenomenon is extremely finite.

It’s ok if you want to recommend this for people to do for a month or two to get used to movement patterns get the body used to physical activity but this program is not even close to ideal for long term progress.

Ok thanks chaps i’ll take your advice. I wouldnt have had so much volume in an ideal world but i wanted to train each body part twice a week. I also wanted to train on saturday and sundays as im fresh then, and only train twice in the evenings during the week, as i have a manual job as well so evenings can be hard.

I havent got any stats at the moment im not taking it that serious right now i was just going on how i was handling the weights and looking in the mirror. I only did this routine for about six weeks so it was ok for that but i guess i would have overtrained in the long term.

Im thinking of doing an upper body/lower body split for 4 days now. Any ideas? Have any of you ever trained bodyparts twice a week or do you stick to the classic once a week?