Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 2)

I see what you did there

2 Likes

Tuesday night conditioning session. Decided to not do burpees as I was worried the jump back into the push up position would hurt my toe.

Session was
Kettlebell swing
Body weight squats
Push ups
20 down to 1 of each
All done in just under 30 mins. Worked up a really good sweat and pumped the blood around real good.

11 Likes

Iā€™m gonna have to steal this oneā€”nice work!

1 Like

You would like it mate. I didnā€™t rush it and took a few breathers along the way. Could be done in 20 mins if the intensity was there.

2 Likes

I have a suprising amount if soreness in the quads and the triceps from the bodyweight session last night. Nothing that will slow me down but I definitely feel like I did some work. Always surprises me how much the high rep bodyweight work can effect you.

4 Likes

Wednesday 24 May - deload

Axle deadlift
Bar x 10
60 x 5
100 x 3
140 x 3
140 x 3
140 x 3
Kept these relatively light, and kept rest to 60 sec.

Axle OH press (clean first rep)
50 x 8 x 3 sets (110 lbs)
felt really light, good cardio though

Pull downs - narrow grip
82 x 12 x 3 sets
SS
Dips
10 x 3 sets

Dumbell preacher curl
10 x 12 x 3
One arm at a time

All over body soreness today. Good pump session though.

12 Likes

Fatsique update

I will add these pics as my end of the transformation too. Not much will change in the next week. Weight today 92KG (202 lbs) which is basically exactly what it was at the start of the year.

16 Likes

Looking like a tank, brother! To all those people that say deadlifts arenā€™t optimal for building a big back, please refer to the aboveā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks mate. No idea what the average 48/49 year old looks like but pretty sure Iā€™m not it. :wink:

3 Likes

Deload week is progressing nicely, and its time to think about the next training block.

For the next block I am going to basically repeat the last block.
3 days a week, 6 week block - 5 weeks plus delaod
Monday - Squat, with volume bench and accessories
Wednesday - Deadlift, with over head and accessories
Friday - Bench, with squat technique and bench accessories

I am going to make a couple of small changes.

1. On Axle deadlift I am going to do a heavy triple, double or single and then drop back and hit the volume reps. I have been getting good at pulling for reps but now need to translate that into a heavier max.
  2. I am going to switch out the tempo paused squat on Friday and replace it with front squats.

I have never consistently done front squats and it is high time I paid my dues and put some real work into front squats. I am going to keep the reps fairly low with the aim of improving my max in this lift.

To make things more interesting, i discussed my idea of bringing back in the front squat with coach and he has decided to lay down a challenge. We will both include front squat for the next 12 weeks and see who can do it the best. Nothing like a friendly challenge to make you push yourself.

The last change I am going to do in this block (this will make @TrainForPain smile) is to add in some direct bicep work every day. I havenā€™t done much bicep work for along time and even when I did train them the results were mediocre at best. I will need to watch the elbow issue closely but still think I can get it done.
I will be using only 2 movements. In the gym I will finish each workout with 3 sets of dumbell preacher curls. I will do these one arm at a time. Aiming for 8-12 reps per set.
On non gym days I will use a kettlebell (because thatā€™s what I have) and will do concentration curls, again 3 sets but each set will be to failure (or form breakdown).

10 Likes

Whoā€™d want to be average? Great work here mate.

1 Like

Oh definitely not me mate. There is very little about my life that is average. LOL

1 Like

Insert relevant trash talking here.

1 Like

Lookin great, dude!

1 Like

No trash talking until I see how my first attempts go. Pretty sure I remember your front squat being a little tidier than mine. I will have work to do.

1 Like

Ah shucks, now I am blushing. Thanks mate.

1 Like

Nah. Let it rain. Haha.

1 Like

Friday 26 May - deload

Front squat -
Bar x 5 - felt weird.
60 x 3 - wrist feel like they might explode already. LOL
80 x 3
80 x 3
90 x 3 (198 lbs)
Getting in some practice before @wiseman83 as I need all the help I can get. Right knee was really grumpy. Front rack position was as painful as I expected. But I am going to get better at these.

Bench press
90 x 8 x 3 sets (198 lbs)
Felt pretty easy - nice pump

Pull ups - on some weird torture handles
3 sets - 5 5 5

Dumbell preacher curls
10 x 12 x 3 sets

Good Deload session.

11 Likes

90x3 puts you ā€œin the leadā€.

Temporary.

1 Like