Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

It’s a marathon and not a Sprint anyway, best to take time and learn to love it :+1:, than rush, get injured and not lift again.

1 Like

Monday 20th Nov squat and bench

Usual warm up (agile 5) then 10 x box jumps and 10 x ball slams

I went outside after sun down last night and managed to get eaten alive by the mosquitos from hell. Got a big bite behind my right knee which my body reacted to. I swelled up and went red and very hot. It actually felt like I had a sleeve on my right leg as it restricted me bending the knee. But it didn’t seem to impact the workout and didn’t stop the squats.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
95 x 3
102.5 x 3 x 3
RPE 8, 9 second set was too high on my neck should have re racked, 8 better set happy.

Bench with band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
65 x 5
80 x 3
87.5 x 3 x 3
RPE - 7 solid, 8 slow decent pause and press hard good set, 8 nice pause on last rep and went up smooth. Quality

Bent row
82.5 x 6 x 3
RPE 8 8 8 not too much body English, happy.

Upright row
25 x 20 x 2

All in all I am very pleased with how tonight went. It feels a little odd doing higher intensity with lower reps as I don’t feel the tightness from the volume but I do feel that tingling in the muscles like they have worked hard.

3 Likes

Friday 24th Nov Deadlift and OH press

Really looking forward to training tonight, didn’t have the most energy after a few long hot days at work this week but still really wanted to hit the gym.

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
120 x 3
130 x 3
RPE 7 happy with speed, need to drop hips a little
130 x 3
RPE 7.5 first rep a little slow, 2 and 3 were fine
130 x 3
RPE 7.5 Good reps, best speed on last rep
130 x 3
RPE 8 all good

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
45 x 5
60 x 3 x 4sets
RPE 7 8 (short rest) 7.5 (longer rest) 8 Happy with pressing tonight

Chins +5kg
8 x 3
6 pause then 2 more
6 pause then 2 more just!!
5 pause then 2 - no more !!

Hanging leg raise 20, hammer curl 15kg x 20, push up x 30
2 rounds, only 20 push ups on second round

Plank 90 Sec

Hot, sweaty, tired, slightly sore and very very happy.

2 Likes

Monday 27th Squat and Bench

Today was my eldest daughters 8th birthday, can’t believe how fast time has gone.
Trained a little later that normal today as wanted to spend time with the kids, watch my daughter open presents and have cake. Head wasn’t really with it today, had a crap day at work, bad sleep last night and wasn’t feeling very enthused. But believe it or not it was a pretty good workout.

Usual warm up, then box jumps x 10 and ball slams x 10

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
105 x 2
115 x 1.5 RPE 9.5 meant to get two, first rep was good but dropped a little too low on the second rep which moved the bar too far forward, tried hard to rescue it but had to dump the bar about halfway up. I deff had the second rep in me so was pissed to miss it… very cross !!

92.5 x 6 x 5 sets
RRE 8 8 9 9 9 9.5 last rep was a little high and slow to come up.

Overall I was cross with missing the second rep at 115 but very happy with the 5 sets with 92.5 legs were trashed by the end!!

Bench with band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
65 x 5
85 x 3
90 x 2
95 x 2 RPE 8 slow and steady would have liked more speed

82.5 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE 7 8 7 8.5 10 last rep was slow, had no more, good set

Bent over row
82.5 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE 8 felt heavy, 8, 8 not getting any easier, 8, 8

Stick a fork in me, I’m done !!

4 Likes

Wow those squats really did the job. Have had serious leg DOMS today and not looking forward to trying to sit on the toilet tomorrow !!

4 Likes

You sound way to excited about that lol
good work on the squats man.

Lol thanks man, I do kinda love the feeling that I’ve really put some work in. I may not be excited tomorrow though !!

The fun part of that is when you have to do the controlled drop onto the toilet. Very little margin for error with that!

2 Likes

That was me at work today, one hand on each wall to control the slow descent and pray I didn’t slip !!

It’s all fun and games til someone crushes a nut between the toilet and their arse!

3 Likes

Friday 1st December - Deadlift and OH press

Didn’t do much of a warm up today, was late and just wanted to get the work done. It has been warm in Melbourne the last few days so the gym was pretty sweaty anyway!!

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
120 x 2
135 x 2 RPE 7 happy with these today
120 x 6 RPE 7 felt good,
120 x 6 RPE 7.5 getting hard,
120 x 6 RPE 7.5 felt better gripped bar harder,
120 x 6 RPE 7 faster set much better, pulling was pretty solid tonight

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
45 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE 6 on all sets maybe 7 on the last set, these felt easy so kept the rests pretty short

Chins
7 x 4 Sets
First set felt a bit easier with no extra weight hanging off me!!! Kept rest short so each set got harder!!

Hanging leg raise 20 superset with strict dumbbell curl 10kg x 20 superset with push up x 30
2 rounds of these, only did 20 push ups on second round

Really good session tonight, good pulling but my hips, legs and back are all feeling it now. Time to eat some food, rest up and get stronger.

4 Likes

Great work as always mate, it’s getting bloody hot here in Oz hey, your getting what we’ve had in Adelaide, toasty as fuck!

2 Likes

Not so toasty right now, we are getting smashed with 1 months rain in 2 days. Took my daughter to her karate grading today and had to run to the car in the pissing rain. Lots of other mums and dads were waiting for it to pass or huddling under umbrellas, my daughter and I just ran in the rain, jumping the puddles laughing like idiots. Best fun I have had in ages !!!

2 Likes

Bit of rain is good for ya! Haha how did her grading go?

Bit of rain is always good, and running in it, haha, we got hammered with it too.

Yer good, she got her provisional blue belt, blue belt with a white stripe through it lengthways. Next will be blue belt. She’s only 8 but loves karate, is really serious and focused when she does it. It’s funny and also makes you very proud to watch. She is also so flexible it’s good to watch he kicking higher than the black belts and doing splits without trying!!! Lol my little elastagirl

2 Likes

It’s a good discipline for young ones IMO. She is beating me though! I think i only made it to green belt :joy:

2 Likes

So she hasn’t convinced you t join too? My son did it for a bit, then I caved and joined, just for the cardio really, and to stuff around with him at home, the classes kicked my ass for a while, sweating like a pig, now he’s decided he wants to do kick boxing, probably looking at that on Tuesday. It’s a shame he wants to change as he’s gone up a few belts, but wants to try a diff style.
It’s good motivation for them to have a parent or friends do it too, and it is a forced cardio session.

1 Like

No not yet. I did boxing and judo as a kid and then Tang Soo Do for a couple of years as an adult but haven’t done any martial arts or fighting for a long time. If she keeps at it I may start doing it so we can do it together but she is too young to join an adult class so no point yet.

2 Likes

No training today, bad day at work and then had to go back to work after I got home. Back has been a bit sore today after I went for a short run the park with the kids on their bikes on Sunday. Body is glad of the rest and I will pick up session later in the week,
Hopefully feeling fresh and energetic !!

3 Likes