Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

That’s possible, but at a guess I’d say it wasn’t tightness. Your setup is fast at the start and between reps and that may be why you’re not getting into the position you want. Do you go through a list of steps for each rep? I do, and it helps me make sure I’m doing what I need for each rep. Same for squats and bench.

Edit

For instance, for deads I go

Grip bar
Pull slack
Squeeze oranges in armpits
Straighten legs, take air
Squeeze
Bend knees/drop butt, weight on forefoot
Jump, transferring weight to heels

I do that every rep, and while it looks like a lot it ends up really just being squeeze oranges, take air with straight legs, jump.

I still get my hips too high sometimes, but by taking those steps each time I have a very good sense of what’s going on.

2 Likes

Thanks mark, I do think about similar cues, squeeze bar, lock lats (armpits add oranges), drop but and drive with the legs but i don’t run through it every rep. I think either rep 2 or 3 last night I felt I was high and I purposefully dropped a little lower and was tighter for the next rep. I will use this volume block to really focus on the cues and bar speed.

2 Likes

Form building is a never ending battle.

1 Like

All your videos must be good angles then…

I think the image we often have if ourselves is different to how others see us. I do think video Is different to real life also. One day we will meet in real life, maybe when I am watching you in a strongman comp and you can see for yourself.

1 Like

Thats true.

Looking forward to it! You’ll out angle me for sure lol

2 Likes

You’ll still be taller though :sunglasses:

Lets just hope i continue to grow taller and dont stay short. I haven’t grown in a while

Hey Simo my 2 cents based of what i’ve read and watched.
Hips are good, a fraction to high maybe, let me explain.
When you start your pull the hips rise a little bit, before the bar moves, but it’s so little I think It’s just the body getting tight and some slack pulled out.
When the weight starts to get a little heavy the body will naturally pull from the most advantageous position.
I wouldn’t drop lower it’s not a squat.
Look at you very first rep, I would say the setup is to fast, your body isn’t tight when you start the pull it flexes/twists a lot. whereas for the next 4 they are very similar to each other.
And I saw the head thing as well, it’s fine when the pull is finished, I think it’s okay to flex it at the start, but not at the finish, and your head is neutral finished.

Thanks @mortdk some valid points there. I was rushing the whole session last night so set up was deff not as solid as normal. The reason I say I need to sit back more is that when I start the pull my shins are nowhere near vertical. This make the bar travel forward a bit when I start the pull to clear my knees and then come back again. Time to wear some longer socks and start grazing the shins me thinks.

I see what you mean with the shins, but I don’t think the bar comes in front of you, when the bar is mid shin they are close to vertical.

2 Likes

Agreed with points above
I think a little tweak of taking the flex out of the bar before you lift would make a huge difference
I was watching it last night thinking damn you have a really decent technique going for you though

3 Likes

Thanks big man, now all I need to do is convert the technique into an actuall good pull number

1 Like

When you start wearing the belt you’ll get so much tighter.
You pulled 140 x 10 before the holidays that’s more than a 4 plate ERM.
I’ll bet that at the end of the next program you’ll hit at least 180 kg maybe even the magick 200.

1 Like

Which in itself is an issue. The point of setting up is getting tight before you pull. Same with taking slack out of the bar. Any movement of the bar during the pull that isn’t vertical or of the hips up, down or back at the start of the pull is wasted energy. The idea is to get the body into the strongest starting position before pulling and staying there as you pull.

2 Likes

Exactly Mark, you’re spot on.
Get strong starting position, don’t rush the setup.
Start where you’re the strongest.
But watching I think Simo as he said was a bit rushed.
@simo74 put up a video next time DL comes around.
Lets see by then, I think it’s a ton better.

3 Likes

Front of my hips have been hurting all day, tried stretching, rolling, spikey ball,
Heat, massage and nothing is helping. They are throbbing like a sub woofer in a night club. Hopefully a good night sleep will help.

2 Likes

Woke at 86.9kg (191) hips are still jacked up today. I wasn’t expecting the weight to be that high. Did eat too well yesterday so was expecting it to be lower. No rain so lots of jobs to do today, with my hips as they are, it’s not going to be a good day :frowning:

4 Likes

Had a pretty good day today. Did a whole lot of jobs which made me stay upright and mobile for most of the day. Hips a feeling a ton better right now. Still a little stiff but with a good nights sleep tonight I should be good to train tomorrow. Wifey found a new wet rub recipe for chicken wings and we gave it a go today. It was yummy, had to fight the kids to get enough protein. Note to self - double the amount of wings next time !!

4 Likes

Woke at 86.7kg, hips not too sore this morning. Should be ok to train tonight.

3 Likes