Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Yer totally agree, some days I feel terrible but I actually lift really well. I only train 2 days a week these days so in theory have plently of time to recover, so when last week I was sore for a week It was pretty obvious it was time to pull back for a week. Body feels great today so know I will have a good session tomorrow.

2 Likes

I’m always a lot more DOMS sore the less frequent I train. But having DOMS is a different feeling to being run down or feeling beat up or CNS fried.

4 Likes

Monday 30th October Squat and Bench

I was really looking forward to training tonight, had a decent sleep last night and my day at work wasn’t too stressful. Body felt good after the deload last week so I was ready to go.
Usual warm up, agile 5 followed by 10 x box jumps and 10 x ball slams.
Note to self: don’t day dream when you are box jumping or you will miss the box with one foot and scrape a large amount of skin from you shin bone!!! Doh

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 10
87.5 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 7 (lungs were puffing hard), 8, 8, 8.5 legs were a little wobbly on last couple of reps but still reckon I had 2 or 3 more in them. Happy with squats today.

Bench
Bar x 15
70 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 7, 7, 7, 7 or 8 Lost count and sure I did 9 reps on last set!! Hence the 8 RPE.
Really happy today. Solid benching.

Bent row
80 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 8 8 8
Body English on last couple of reps

Upright row 25 x 20 x 2 sets

Overall great session tonight, finished feeling strong and pumped and none of the fatigue from 2 weeks ago. Quality.

3 Likes

Oh man thats one of the better things that can happen with not concentrating with box jumps (or doing it too fatigued).

A couple of weeks ago a guy in the boxing section of our gym missed the box, caught his foot and fell forward over the whole thing. Busted his nose on the ground and nearly snapped his neck! Very nasty!

3 Likes

Friday 3rd November Deadlift and OH press

Usual warm up, box jumps and ball slams

Deadlift:
Bar x 10
65 x 8
105 x 5
120 x 6 x 3sets
RPE 7 8 felt a little slower 7 quicker reps

Oh press
Bar x 12
45 x 7 x 4 sets
RPE 7 8 7 more explosive 7 nice repsnon the last set.

Chins +8kg
6 x 4 sets
On last set did 6 reps wide grip then change to narrow grip palms facing 2 more reps
RPE 8 8 8 9

Barbell curl 20kg x 50

Good solid Friday night workout. Now for some Thai takeout hmmmmmmmmmm

2 Likes

Monday 6th November - Squat and Bench

Usual warm up then box jumps and ball slams.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
105 x 3 these moved ok, bar went a little forward on the last rep which made it harder than it should have
115 x 3 these reps were garbish, not deep enough. Decided to repeat this weight.
115 x 0 dropped in nice and low then got stuck coming out of the hole and had to dump bar. I have a real mental block around heavier weights, fken pissed off.
85 x 15 left a couple in the tank, back sore !! Really wanted to salvage something out of this workout so the higher reps felt good. Still totally disappointed with my effort tonight.

Bench
Bar x 15
65 x 5
80 x 3
90 x 3 RPE 7/8
95 x 3 RPE 9
100 x 3 RPE 10
Was happy with 100 x 3, maybe could have gone 105 / 110 for a single but that’s for another day. Decided to drop the weight and go for a good pump.
65 x 17

Bent row
65 x 5 x 5 went every minute on the minute

Upright row 25 x 20 x 2

I think I need more volume at higher weight with low reps. I need to get used to the grind again. Will keep going with small stepped increases and hopefully time will be my friend. I just wasn’t ready for higher weights at lower reps… not a happy boy.!

1 Like

Well it’s clear to me that you are improving all of your lifts, you are so far injury free and stringing together good workouts. Not everything goes to plan but there are definitely positives in your last few gym outings, including this one!

2 Likes

I know you are right Irish. There was some good (bench) some bad (getting buried on squat) and some ugly (my face at rep 15 on the last set of Squat) in that workout, and all of that will roll up into improvement for next week. It’s just annoying when you want more and at the back of your mind you remember your not 21 anyone and slow progress is still progress.

1 Like

You could try supramaximal walkouts. Walk out something like 140 kg (at most) a few times, just holding there for a few seconds. You could also try moderately heavy squats paused in the hole for a few seconds. That way you’ll get accustomed to heavy loads on your back as well much more confident just sitting tight in the hole.

Thanks Mark, I have been thinking about some lighter paused reps but hadn’t considered the heavier stuff. I really think I just need more reps at slightly heavier weights just getting used to pushing my back hard into the bar. The first 2 inches out the hole were fine I got to get used to using the back and hips more than my quads.

2 Likes

Highly recommend these, also helpful for learning to remain tight.

3 Likes

Friday 10th November Deadlift and OH press

Usual warm up, then box jumps and ball slams. Was feeling pretty good today, the workout went OK but as always it could have been better.

Deadlift:
Bar x 10
65 x 8
105 x 4 shoulders too far forward on third rep, need to drop butt a bit more
125 x 3 OK
142.5 x 4 RPE 10 last rep was sloooow,
142.5 x 2 RPE 9.5
142.5 x 2 RPE 10
Called it a day here don’t use a belt and felt form was off on last set. Happy with deads tonight but would have liked another set

Oh
Bar x 12
45 x 5
60 x 3 RPE 8
65 x 3 RPE 9.5
67.5 x 3 used a little let drive so don’t really count
70 x 3 with leg drive, just wanted to use a little more weight
Happy with the pressing tonight, reckon I could have got the 67.5 without a little legs if I braced a bit harder…next time next time.

Chins
10 10 10
First set was good
Second was tough
Third did 8 then rest then 2 more to finish

Bbcurl 20kg x 50
Push up x 40
Bbcurl x 20
Push up x 20
Great arm pump from this little superset.

My body weight has stayed at 81.5kg now for more than a month. With very little noticeable change in body composition. I think it’s time to go back to two meals a day at work and start making my garbage can chilli every 2 days. Need to find some muscle and some strength from somewhere. This is the end of my volume block and next I am moving onto an intensity block. Hopefully this will help with me getting more used to those lower rep higher weight sets. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Monday 13th Squat and Bench
I wasn’t expecting too much tonight, after a less than great Squat session last week and a boozy weekend, lots of time on my feet today and not drinking enough water. I was expecting tonight to be tough. Well that just shows that I know sod all!! I had a great session tonight.
First workout in my new intensity block and I was looking forward to it, and rightly so. It was gooood.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2 focus is staying tight felt ok
100 x 2 focus on driving back into bar, felt heavy on my traps but moved fine
110 x 2 tight and drive hard, felt way better than last week when this weight buried me. It’s amazing the difference a week can make. Both reps to proper depth happy with these
RPE 9.5
87.5 x 6 felt good but tough RPE 8
87.5 x 6 hard set RPE 8
87.5 x 6 RPE 8 good better than last set

Bench
Bar x 12
65 x 5
75 x 2
85 x 2
90 x 2 good reps RPE 7
77.5 x 6 RPE 6 or 7 moved nice
77.5 x 6 RPE 7
77.5 x 6 RPE 7.5

Bent Row
82.5 x 6 RPE 8 these felt heavy but good, could really feel it in my upper back
82.5 x 6 same
82.5 x 6 same

Upright row 25 x 20 x 20 sets

Well just one word to sum up tonight, Quality.

5 Likes

Good to see you having some good sessions man! Keep it up.

1 Like

That’s a good session. Good work.

Thanks Mark

1 Like

Friday 17th Nov Deadlift and OH press

Ate quite well today so was expecting a good session and that is exactly what I had.

Usual warm up, then box jumps x 10, ball slams x 10

Deads
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
105 x 2
120 x 2
130 x 2
RPE 7 maybe even lower, bar moved smooth with good speed

112.5 x 6 RPE 7 smooth pulls
112.5 x 6 RPE 7 good speed
112.5 x 6 RPE 7 good speed

Oh press
Bar x 12
42.5 x 6 x 3
These felt Eeeeaasy tonight.
Band pull aparts x 15 between sets

Chins + 5kg
6 x 4 sets
RPE 7 8 8 9
Trying to lean back a bit and squeeze elbows together. Chins are still hard !!! Hang at full stretch for 20 count after last rep.

Leg raise x20 superset with, hammer curl 15kg x 15, superset with push up on push up handles x 30 first set x 20 second set
2 rounds
Massive arm and chest pump

Bridge 1 min, these felt hard, especially with a giant forearm pump.

Really happy with the training this week and loving the new intensity block. Quality

6 Likes

No training today but did have Milo Cricket with the kids. I am helping with the coaching this year, spent 2 hours this morning setting up and then running around with the kids and then packing everything away. It was a cracking morning, neck got a bit sun burnt even though I has full sun block on. Got back home and spend an hour in the yard mowing and edging the lawn. Back is a little sore and angry now from all the running and bending.

Your doing well mate, keep it up!!!

Thanks mate, I actually feel like I am making a little progress, albeit slowly but it’s not like I am in a rush anyway.

3 Likes