Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Tuesday 4th September - deload

So it’s deload week and it has coincided with me having to be in Sydney for 3 days for work. Luckily the hotel is next to a gym and you get complimentary access. So after a bad nights sleep I got my butt out of bed at 5am and hit the gym.

Some squats
Bar x 10
Bar x 10
60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
100 x 5
60 x 20 - urgghh these were horrid

Some dumbbell bench
20 x 8
30 x 5
34 x 5
38 x 5
42 x 5
42 x 7
Haven’t done dumbbell bench in years and it felt pretty good. Could have gone a little heavier but decided not to as want to be fresh for next week.

Barbell curls
25 x 15, 25, 15
Ss with tricep ect
24 x 15, 15, 15

I don’t known how you guys and girls get up and train at this time every day. Training on an empty stomach before my body has had time to work out all the kinks was not exactly enjoyable. Anyway did feel good to move some weight and get a good pump. Now off the hit the breakfast buffet big time.

7 Likes

You staying local to the city?
In Sydney today for work, out west(ish)

Staying in Rooty Hill bit will be in Eastern Creek in meeting / workshops through the day.

I’ll be in weatherill park today, about 2 mins away
Ahhhh rooty hill RSL
Great pub feed there

I am staying at the Novotel that is next door. What you doing for dinner ?

1 Like

Small breakfast today:
5 eggs
5 rashes bacon
2 sausages
Baked beans
Grilled tomatoes
2 slices of white toast and butter
All washed down with apple juice and black coffee.

That should do the trick !!

3 Likes

I’ll be back an hour north of you by dinner time, otherwise I’d pop by and say hello
I’ve somehow ended up in the blue mountains for work so I’m a little far away
The RSL has great food, if you’re able to travel a bit, you’re pretty close to Blacktown and Parramatta which are both pretty culturally diverse towns
If you can make it into Parramatta, there is a burger shop called “milky lane”
Pretty much the bee’s knees of burgers, always wins best burger parlour in Australia
Other then that, you can’t go wrong with any kebab or pizza joint on every corner of western sydney

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up mate. I’m up here with a bunch of colleagues and car sharing so bit sure if anyone will have the desire to drive out for burgers. I’ll have to float the idea and see what happens. Maybe next time I’m up here or as we said before, at the Arnold next year.

3 Likes

100% at the Arnold’s, that a guarantee
If you know you’re gunna be up this way, give a a couple days notice and I’ll book my work around it👍

1 Like

Woke at 4am… hate sleeping in hotels !!
Triceps are sore as fk today but in the good side they are still swole from yesterday’s training. Think I might add some tricep ext in more regularly.

4 Likes

Woke at 4:30 and got to the gym at 5:00. Just did some fluff stiff:
5 min warm up on airdyne bike
Some pull ups
Some lay pull downs
Some machine rows
Some dumbell press
Some lateral raises - side and rear
Some back extensions
5 min airdyne bike

It felt odd going to a gym and just doing stuff but with no program or numbers to hit. Worked up a good pump and a good sweat. Perfect for a deload week but wanted to do more.
Moving onto 531 BBB for the next 3 weeks and then off to Bali. Looking forward to hitting some rep PRs in the next 3 weeks.

5 Likes

I don’t get excited about any rep PR over about 5 reps.

2 Likes

Lol is that a challenge !!

Nope. I just don’t share your excitement for 5/3/1 rep PRs. In the first week after returning to the program it’s like:

“Time to set a new PR - 315 for 17 reps on Deadlift :face_vomiting:

F that. I actually feel bad for you :laughing:

3 Likes

Too much time sitting over last three days my hips are jacked up!!! Going to n Ed some time on the foam roller for the next few days.

2 Likes

Funny so different peeps are :slight_smile:
I loves the 531 pr sets as @simo74 does.
The challenge of knowing last time you did X reps and this time you are trying as hard as possible to to X reps +1.
Doing it consistently for several cycles and lifts is very rewarding.

Looking forward to Simo’s next three weeks. Go crush them repPR’s

6 Likes

Like I said, Mort, I’m good with it under five reps. “Last time I did 3, this time I’ll shoot for 4.”

1 Like

This is why I limit my reps to 10, even if I could do more. Also, if you’re hitting 17, your training max probably isn’t accurate. Of course, I think Jim himself has moved to preferring 5’s pro and doing sets straight across over max rep sets. Personally, I’m still a fan of the original 5/3/1 just because of how well it’s worked for me.

2 Likes

The first time I ran 5/3/1 I was failing to hit 5 reps on 5/3/1 week by the third cycle. In later attempts to run the program I dropped the TM to 80% for the sake of longevity. It sucked.

5s PRO also sucked with a 90% TM.

1 Like

Well, I’m not going to tell you you’re doing it wrong, since you clearly know what you’re doing training-wise, I guess it’s just not a methodology that works well for you. Over the past several years I’ve been able to run 5/3/1 for 12, 11 and 7 cycles straight without resetting except on press, before life came along and made me reset, but I’m sure a large part of that was just the place of relative weakness that I was starting from. After all, when you have nowhere to go but up, progress is a lot easier.

4 Likes