Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Hi TnT good to have you along and glad you are enjoying the log. I sometimes think my slow and programmed approach doesn’t make for the most interesting read but it does keep me progressing and healthy and that’s the whole idea. Feel free to chime in whenever you feel the need. It’s always good to have more folks giving their views and ideas or just shooting the breeze.

1 Like

I like your slow and steady log.
I’ve been tempted to join that train, I think I’m too old to gain at the fast rate I would like to.
So late this year I’ll dissect your log and copy it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ve already gotten some feedback here, but I’ll chime in with my experience as it’s pretty relevant to your current spot, I think.

I came back into the gym (real barbell work after a couple years dicking around with kettlebells) in 2015. Over the course of a year my deadlift climbed steadily to 405 by January 2016 and eventually to 500 by July 2016. During that time I did not use a belt at all - I can go back on my YouTube channel and find the first time I pulled 500, was still totally beltless. As I began pushing my way higher I started wearing a belt for the benefits of bracing, and noticed an immediate effect in how much I could lift as well as my comfort in pushing heavy squats.

However, I do like the benefits of some beltless work as well. I think it’s good to do some of both. So here’s what I do (working off a current deadlift max of 605): I’ll do 135, 225, 315, and 405 all beltless to warm up. Some days I’ll intentionally stay beltless and keep the weight in the 400’s or low 500’s (I think 525 is the most I’ve pulled without a belt). I reserve the belt mostly for lifts at > 90 percent. For squats, I’ll put it on around 315.

TL; DR - there’s a happy medium where you keep doing most of your warmups beltless but start using it for your heaviest working sets and max attempts. Best of both worlds IMO.

4 Likes

Thanks @ActivitiesGuy that makes a lot of sense and will deff be an approach I will mirror. After all I don’t want to go back to being that kid who wore a belt for barbel curls :wink:

2 Likes

Just hit me up when you are thinking of it and I’ll do my best to share my training blocks. Given I dont write then I may not be able to answer all the why’s but I can share the layout and % I have done.

Will do Simo. But for now it’s about CT’s SGSS + bulking. I’ll end up a fat ass but hopefully a stronger one.

You and me both. Come join me on the road to 100 !!!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, Simo. I actually find some of the simpler, more direct logs more interesting to read, although I’ve also followed @losthog’s journey with great enjoyment too, and his Darkhorse gallop was anything but basic!

Like you, I’m in my early 40s, and I now recognize that staying healthy is the only way to make gains. I actually quit using a lifting belt for the same reason as you, as a self-limitation and hopefully injury preventative measure. The conversation y’all have had about belts has me seeing the wisdom of using a belt for the heaviest sets.

3 Likes

It seems most of us are in our 40’s and giving the lifting a good hard crack which is great to see.
@simo74 if you ever decide to do a comp you will love it mate, I did one about 5 years ago and it was awesome, such a great and supportive bunch of people

3 Likes

“Pushing against the rust” is how one author I read described aging and staying active. I like the metaphor.

3 Likes

It’s the casual banter that makes logs so enjoyable. I must admit I get bored when I just see a list of exercises performed. Apparently I’m more interested in the social interaction than the statistics.

According to everything I’ve read, “experienced” or “advanced” lifters (in terms of training age—not accomplishments) can add 0.5 to 1.0 lbs of muscle per month. That’s what I’m hoping for. But in addition to the added muscle there will be an increase in glycogen and water storage. That means I don’t know what 1.0 lbs of added muscle will look like on the scale.

@danteism told me but I don’t remember if it’s in my log or @MarkKO’s log. He gave me/us a reference for how much the glycogen and other stuff could add to the scale. I just remember that I settled on shooting for gaining a pound a week.

I think we’d all benefit from that approach given our age (both training and actual age). If you want to be even more conservative then shoot for 3 lbs per month (or 1.5 kgs in your terms).

3 Likes

I think it was in Mark’s log

1 pound of dry muscle holds about 0.4 pounds of glycogen and as 1g of glycogen binds 2.7gs of water the total will become about 2.4 pounds of weight for 1lbs of muscle (1lbs muscle, .4lbs glycogen, a tad over 1lbs of water)

3 Likes

Good timing, there’s an article on the main page now that hits the belt subject pretty well. It’s an older article, but it reinforces a lot of what was said here.

As far as competing goes, after having finally done it myself last year, I would say just do it, if you wait until you think you’re ready, you’ll keep waiting. I haven’t done a powerlifting competition yet, but the strongman folk are very supportive and encouraging. Also, your idea of what strong looks like is probably a bit skewed from reading all the logs in here.

2 Likes

Add instagram and YouTube to that with all of the freaks (and fakes) in there

The other day I saw a video of Hafthor hitting a 200 kilo overhead press and for a split second I though that’s it?

Then I realized something must be wrong when a goddamn 200 kilo overhead press doesn’t have me in awe. What the fuck.

3 Likes

Woke this morning at 85.8kg, actually got a good nights sleep last night. Dads day today so will spend it with the kids. Kids wanted pizza for dinner so who am I to argue. Road to 100, one slice at a time!!

4 Likes

I was thinking that too because you have freaks out there like larry wheels almost hitting that

2 Likes

priorities :+1:

Woke at 85.3kg dry as fk today. Need to drink lots of water today.

1 Like

I’m just about to call it a day. I ate a lot of food today. Dinner was two different recipes of BBQ baked beans, potato salad and a 1/4 lb hot dog (it was like 9 inches long). I ate all of that twice and finished with homemade ice cream.

I also did a little day drinking by the pool.

I’m so thirsty now. I shouldn’t even get in the scale in the morning.

4 Likes

Now that sounds like a really good day :pig2:

3 Likes