Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

I was going to put it down to my short legs and long back. I figure that makes it relatively easier for my spine to flex under load, so bracing is harder. Ergo, belt has a bigger impact in that it reduces power leakage in my deadlift. For squats, if I’m brutally honest I could probably squat more beltless than I do but I’m just lazy. From memory my best beltless squat is 202.5 kg and that was relatively comfortable, and at that time I doubt I’d have been good for more than about 220 belted. Compare to deads in that same period, I was good for maybe 250 kg belted, no way in hell would I have been able to do more that maybe 230 beltless.

Belt seems to give me next to nothing overhead from what I’ve done.

2 Likes

This is pretty strange. But you don’t focus on push pressing, it helps a lot with stability there. Still on strict pressing it helps me grind out a few more reps.

2 Likes

Depends on what you’re considering “worth”. I absolutely think that your max potential will be greater with a belt for at least your squat/deadlift. But there is value in beltless training, so you’ve been reaping those benefits for awhile now.

The belt adds a TON to my squat. As I sit in the bottom of the hole the belt becomes increasingly tighter around my core and almost springs me out. Deadlift, it helps, but not nearly as much. I do wear the belt a notch looser for deadlift than squat.

I have this belt from Lifting Large, and absolutely love it. It is also IPF legal in case you ever felt like taking to the platform! I highly recommend making sure the belt is leather, and for me the single prong is preferred. (I’ve never tried a lever belt though, so I can’t comment on those).

2 Likes

I was working in near perfect conditions with nothing but gym life and rest plus I was right at the end of 1 year lifting. Perfect storm to make big gains…

1 Like

I’m all for the use of a belt in training, that said I’m only using a no-name cheap one.

I find a belt especially helpful for squats and OHP.
I find it make the whole lift more efficient allowing me fit in a few more reps before fatiguing or use a little more weight.

2 Likes

I get slightly less out of it for my lifts but I find the same, my deadlift doesn’t gain so much.
I prefer pulling beltess too.

1 Like

As stated, it depends on you. I think it’s awesome you’re hitting PRs without a belt. I wish I could do that without fear of injury. Hell, I get injured as submax loads (see yesterday). I once read a research article that tested squat maxes and I think the outcome was that the subjects instantly added 5-10 lbs to their squat max. That’s not a ton but if you’re at a 395 squat and your goal is 405 then it might be worth it to you to add the belt.

I see a huge benefit when I use it. I feel much more stable and it seems like the belt gives me something to brace against. When I’m working with heavier weights or my back just feels tired I’ll do a warm up set of 3-5 with a certain weight beltless and then do it again with the belt. It’s a night and day difference.

The same can be said for my knee sleeves. The stability added by the belt and sleeves is great. Is it necessary? No, not really. But even though most of us don’t compete, our goals are still numbers and pounds on the bar.

If you decide to start using a belt again I suggest you keep training beltless and only use the belt for max loads or when you’re fatigued and you want to push a bit more than you could/would beltless.

1 Like

Agree with everyone on the belt. Important, especially as you get stronger, but not necessary.

1 Like

Well done big Simo! Great PR’s mate.
Agree wtiht the belt, only wear it on top 2 sets or so, just for shits and giggles.

1 Like

Thanks all.
@littlesleeper @MarkKO @strongmanvinny2 @painter27 @Koestrizer @Frank_C @I_Luc
With adding the belt for the top sets. Do you think using a belt needs practice, as in wear it for a few weeks to get used to it. Or do you rekon you can just throw it on and away you go.

1 Like

Belt needs practice. It’s a tool like any other.

2 Likes

Goddamn Simo bit late to the party here. Have had some long working hours and shit.
F’''king awesome mate.
Congrats.
Belt helps my bracing a lot. I can’t do heavy weight squat and DL without it.
If I ever caught you, you could just add a belt and bye bye :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No need to apologise my friend, I know what it’s like to be busy. Thanks

Woke at 85.7, not looking too fat !!

2 Likes

I’ll add my belated 2c. I train almost exclusively beltless, but I have a really nice lever belt I bought from the elite fts site. The only time I’ve worn it much is when I’ve been doing heavy weights for strongman. I used it today for axle deadlifts and I noticed a significant core stability improvement, to the point that 445# and 465# with a belt felt better than 425# beltless.

3 Likes

I made the decision when I came back to lifting to go without the belt as a way of self regulation. I figured lifting without a belt whilst maintaining form would limit my max weight lifted but would also lower my chance of over doing it and getting injured. (That now sounds a bit crazy written down). It seems to have worked for me because 2 years on with slow progressive programming I am hitting some PR’s and have managed to keep injuries away.
I think based on all the feedback I’ll add the belt back in when I do the next training block just on the top sets and see what it gives me.

6 Likes

Sounds very true

This would require you to maintain form on the very heavy set.

And I found as the weights get heavier form i compromised a bit.

So using a belt only on the very heavy sets could be a good way to use a belt.

4 Likes

Do you plan on competing, or just happy to progress with a program to stay healthy?
I only ever use a belt for strongman training, or if I was +90% in a compound lift for safety
Try milk as much as you can, but I dare say if you’re contemplating a belt now, That’s your subconscious telling you that you might need it
Its always a useful tool for you to have, especially if you feel like your core activation isn’t on point for a particular session

1 Like

Howdy, Simo. Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I’ve read and am following your log. Great work! I like your slow, steady apporach to lifting and your focus on quality movement patterns, injury minimalization, and consistent programming. Between your log and @ActivitiesGuy, both my lifting routines and my perspectives on strength and exercise have been revolutionized.

4 Likes

That’s a good question. I think I would like to put up a total and do a novice comp one day, maybe next year. But I would like to add a bit more strength before planing a meet. You are so many strong guys and girls out there I still feel very weak.

2 Likes