Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Congrats on the PRs! All your lifts looks great, even at max effort.

Great effort on your squats, nailing those grindy reps is so satisfying.

I don’t have much to say about the bench, as that’s a lift I’m still trying to figure out for myself!

Deads looked perfect. Beltless, max effort work, and no form was sacrificed in the making of your PR. You managed to keep everything tight all the way through the lift, which isn’t easy. I usually start to fall apart as I pass mid shin with a max effort conventional dead.

Also, you’re looking strong and I’m envious of your garage gym.

1 Like

Thanks man that means a lot. I am happy reall, I know I put in tonight because sitting here now everything is starting to hurt !! I know what you mean about working out bench, I still don’t arch much or use leg drive efficiently. Lots more technique work to come for me.

1 Like

Legs looking swole. Congrats on the PRs. Definitely looked like you had some hard grinders, but you didn’t give up during those reps. Awesome job

Thanks man, but you wouldn’t say that if you saw my bench fail at 115!! I deleted that video so it never happened. Lol

2 Likes

Gym is in neighbours garage, he runs his PT and triathlon coaching business from there. I get to use it in the evening when he is not working for free. I am a lucky sod!!!

2 Likes

Nice work :muscle:

1 Like

Awesome work on all the PR’s man

1 Like

Well done man! Any gain is good gain. And bench is a fickle mistress for me as well. I’m plan to hit it with more volume, with variation lifts ( floor press, incline, dumbbells, football bar, close grip, spoto, board presses, JM presses). I never get sore in the chest. I want to find the bottom of the muscle belly.

1 Like

You’ve added quite a bit of beef. That’s awesome. Plus calves sexy AF, no homo.

Deadlift looks great. Good work on squat and bench too, cleaning up little bits of technique alone will buy you 10 kg or more easy.

Keep progressing every 11 weeks like this and before you know it you’ll be at 4/3/5 plates.

2 Likes

Thanks mark, weight hasn’t moved too much but I think there is a little extra of something there. The lighting in my gym must be perfect for calves posing because I’m pretty sure they don’t look that good in real life!! But I’ll deff take the compliment (that will make me feel good for weeks).
You summed up my thoughts exactly when you said add 5kg every 11 weeks. If i can keep doing that and stay healthy then maybe one day i will be a little bit strong!!

5 Likes

Woke at 84.6kg was expecting this to be low after training yesterday. Had a terrible night sleep, was buzzing and sore from training and couldn’t fall asleep. Woke up very very dry this morning. Body feels surprisingly good given the effort last night. I have to travel for work next week so will do a deload next week and the do 1 cycle of 531 BBB before I go to Bali for 2 weeks.

3 Likes

Great lifts! I can understand how you feel with “small” PRs but a personal record is still a record.

We’ve all been exposed to @losthog’s 40+ lb PRs so a 5 or 10 lb jump seems small. You’re making steady progress every time you get to this point and you’re only training twice a week. I say you’re winning!

5 Likes

Thanks mate and yes based on 2 days a week and being the wrong side of 40 I am very happy with each little gain. Just wanting more like we all do.

1 Like

@littlesleeper @MarkKO @strongmanvinny2 @painter27 @Koestrizer @Frank_C and everyone else who wants to chime in. Do you think it’s worth adding a belt and seeing what impact that has. I’ve been back on the gym 2 years now and everything has been beltless. I figured I’m not really lifting heavy enough to put it back on. Thoughts / comments ??

2 Likes

Yes it is If you want to maximize performance. A belt is a tool to lift more weight and in some instances be a little safer (although not the main purpose).

So it isn’t something that you have to use but it can help you lift more weight which seems to be your main goal.

1 Like

Any ideas what advantage you think it actually gives in terms of kg ?

Around 20 kg give or take for me, I think. Possibly more, but I’d give 20 kg as a minimum.

2 Likes

Very much depends on the person using it, I guess. For me it helps the most in lifts were the load is axial on me if that makes sense (overhead and squats).

For squats 25-30 kg for overhead 15-20 kg probably. For deadlifts it is a lot less, maybe more like 10 kg but still noticeable.

1 Like

I dunno, I reckon I get as much out of it for deads as squats if not more.

That is interesting. Maybe it has to do with me being so shitty at deadlifting :smiley: