Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Woke up yesterday and body felt OK stupidly thought that the DOMS from my first leg workout back wasn’t going to be bad. Woke up this morning and boy did I get that wrong. Legs are sore as and don’t even talk to me about sitting on that torture device they call the dunny!!!
Just as my six year old was getting to the stairs to go to bed tonight, she looks back at me laughing and shouts “race you up the stairs” I reckon I was on about step six and she was already in bed giggling.

2 Likes

I’m so lucky, I have rails in my loo. An old person must have lived here before me. Such small blessings that make a huge impact in those times of discomfort!

If it makes you feel better, I have some wicked ab doms today :grin:

1 Like

Good to know I am not suffering alone. Pretty jelly about your bog with handles, you lucky lucky bstard!

1 Like

Nothing like wincing at the mere thought of taking a dump.

1 Like

Ah the rear of needing to sit down to take a shit. Evenworse after a leg day and camping, squatting over a hole, holding onto the shovel

1 Like

Little better today managed to take a dump without whimpering!! Going to move tonight’s session to Friday night though as don’t really feel like deadlifting today!

2 Likes

Friday 13th oooooooh Deadlift and oh press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 8
112.5 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 7 first set used double oh grip but it was too slow so switched to mixed grip for last two, 7 much fast off the floor, 8 good speed but got tired on last 2 reps

OH press
Bar x 12
42.5 x 8 x 5
RPE 7 7 7 9 8
kept the rests at 60 sec but it wasn’t enough and I ran out of steam on set 4, had a bigger rest before the last set and it moved much better. Massive shoulder pump … love it!

Chins +5kg
7 7 6.5 6 dropped weight and did 3 more reps

Hanging leg raise x 20, superset with dumbbell hammer curl 15kg x 15 superset with cable tricep ext x a lot.
2 rounds of this.

Body was still sore from Monday but this was a great session.

3 Likes

Monday 16th Oct Squat and Bench

Usual warm up

Squat
bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
100 x 5 RPE 9 got out of groove on rep 4, rep 5 was a grinder
100 x 5 big rest between set 1 and 2, RPE 9, first two reps were good, third and fourth were slow and five was a grinder
100 x 5 RPE 10 got 3 good deep reps then last two were high (above parallel) - angry
100 x 3 RPE 9 stopped at 3 reps should have been 5
100 x 3 RPE 9 stopped at 3 reps should have been 5

Bench
Bar x 15
55 x 8
87.5 x 5 x 5
RPE 8 8 9 9 9
Got a call from work after the warm ups and was on the phone for fifteen minutes, totally lost concentration and cooled down too much. Fken work !!

Bent over row
55 x 5 x 5 these felt nice and easy

Upright row
25 x 15 x 2 sets

Hard session tonight, work outs have been great for a while now so I was probably due a hard day at the office!! Weights felt heavy, body felt slow, just had to work and get through it. May need to up the calories this week and see if the deadlift session is better. Bit pissed off but I am sure I will get over it!

5 Likes

Shitty days happen. You nailed it as to why too. Everything will be back to normal soon.

3 Likes

Bad sessions are gonna happen from time to time e, it sucks balls when it does though.

2 Likes

Yer I knew that I would have a hard one at some point and actually had a feeling it would be this week. Happy to tuck it off and move on but you are right it does suck big time

2 Likes

20th October Deadlift and OH press

After getting buried on Monday I wasn’t sure what to expect tonight. I felt pretty energised going into the workout but was expecting a hard day.

Deadlift

Bar x 12
65 x 5
105 x 4
125 x 3
135 x 4 RPE 8 little slow but good
135 x 4 RPE 8 still slow need to grip tighter,
135 x 4 RPE 9 first 2 reps were better, second 2 were hard,
135 x 4 RPE 9 last rep was sssloooow
135 x 2 reps, this was supposed to be an amrap set but the bar wouldn’t move after the second rep… sucks. I think it was a combination of just fatigue and also the bar moving forward a little on the first rep and stressing my lower back way too much.
RPE 10

Oh
Bar x 12 1
45 x 5 1
60 x 4 x 6
RPE 8 9 8 9 9 10
Lower back was so pumped it was hard to get tight for these. Had to tense the arse hard to get last rep up, grinder

Pull ups
10 10 10 11
Last set was an amrap and it was a dodgy 11, the last few reps were not good looking !!

I am actually pretty happy, OK I missed a couple of reps on the deadlift but I know I worked hard and will be sore tomorrow. The presses went well and I got all the reps up. Considering the start of the week I think I have finished off OK.

3 Likes

Deadlift is coming along well mate, don’t be too hard on yourself.

1 Like

Looking at the RPE you did well on that last set. Deadlift is the first to go when you’re tired or beat up.

1 Like

Yer thanks mate, back is very sore today. Nothing out of place but the muscles know they worked. I reckon I could have got a couple more on set 4 but by five I was done. Easier week next week then heavier the next week, looking forward to seeing what happens.

2 Likes

Back had been tight as hell today, made sure I kept moving all day which definitely helped free it up a little. Guessing it will still be sore when I wake up tomorrow. The worst has been getting up the stairs to get the kids bathed and bed. Planning on a good long walk tomorrow, hopefully that will help a bit.

2 Likes

Monday 23rd October Squat and Bench

I decided to go off plan today. My back was still tight from Deadlifts on Friday and I didn’t want to have another off day. So I basically did a bit of a deload today and will do the same on Friday and then back on plan next week.

Squat
Bar x 12
65 x 10
75 x 8
85 x 8
87.5 x 8
65 x 20

Bench
Bar x 15
65 x 8
70 x 5 x 4

Bent row
25 x 25 x 2 sets

Really enjoyed the workout tonight, not focusing on the plan and just moving some weight and getting a pump was quality. Loved doing the 20 rep squats at the end, it felt good to just pump the legs and work the lungs hard ! I still hit the weight for squats and bench that was in my plan but just for different sets n reps. I know I will recover well from this session and be back better next week.

3 Likes

I definitely had the right idea with changing the session last night. Woke up feeling great today. Have a minor soreness in the quads but legs felt strong and hard today. Most of the back soreness has gone and chest and shoulders feel light and free of any stiffness. I am a happy little boy today.

2 Likes

Friday 27th Oct Deadlift and OH press

Doing a bit of a deload this week so just moved some weight for some reps.

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 10
105 x 6
120 x 6
120 x 6
105 x 6
These moved ok today, and back feels great, not like last week !!!

OH press
Bar x 12
45 x 5 x 5 all moved fast and got some blood moving

Pull ups + 8kg
5 x 4 sets

Barbell curls 25kg x 50 reps.

Body feels good and ready to go a bit harder next week. Very happy I decided to give my body a mini break this week.

3 Likes

It’s hard to do sometimes,.but a short break will often do wonders. It’s knowing the times where you need a break and the times where you just feel sluggish and lifting some heavy iron changes your day and makes you feel awesome.

1 Like