Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Thursday 31st August Deadlift and OH press

I managed to get out of work early today to go to dads day at my 4 yr old sons kinder. He was so happy to see me that it made my whole week.

Workout
Usual warm up - agile 5, 10 x box jumps and 10 x ball slams

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 9
97.5 x 9 x 3 sets
RPE was 7-8 I got a bit of a pressure headache on the 2nd set, I must have held my breath to long or tensed my neck funny! I managed to work through it and it didn’t come back on the 3rd set.

OH press
bar x 12
40 x 9 x 4 sets
RPE 7-8 first three sets felt great, didn’t rest long enough after the 3rd set so the 4th was a little harder than I wanted.

Pull ups
7 x 4 sets
RPE 7-8 I seem to be good up to 5 reps then run out of steam pretty quick after that.

Hanging leg raise x 20, superset with dumbbell hammer curls 15kg x 20, superset with cable tricep extensions x a lot.
2 rounds of this with 30 sec rest between.

Good workout tonight, got through it in under an hour and felt great at the end. Still loving alternating between a lower weight higher volume week and a heavier weight lower volume week. Just hoping I can keep the weights going up each cycle without breaking !! H

4 Likes

Monday 4th Sept Squat and Bench day

I was really looking forward to training today. Had a good sleep last night and felt energised today. I did have a slightly sore lower back after moving some big pot plants around for the misses yesterday.

Usual warm up, agile 5, box jumps x 10 and ball slams x 10

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5 x 5 sets
RPE was 7 7 8 9 9
Back didn’t feel tight in the first set but strength wasn’t effected. Focused on bracing and pulling the bar into my back on the other sets which helped. The last two reps of the fourth set were hard, knees went too far forward which put the weight over my
toes, managed to grind them out. The first three reps of the last set were way better, and the bar moved well but I ran out of steam and the last two reps were tough.

Bench
Bar x 15
65 x 5
80 x 5 x 5
RPE 7 7 7 7 8 - bench was good again tonight really happy with my pressing right now. I know the weights are still light but the bar is moving really nicely.

Bent over row
45 x 5 x 5 sets - RPE 5 these were easy

Upright row 25 x 15 x 2 sets

Great session tonight… Quality

2 Likes

Thursday 7th Sept Deadlift and OH press

Back was a bit stiff at work today so wasn’t totally looking forward to deadlifts tonight, but shouldn’t have worried they were pretty good.

Usual warm up

Deadlift
Bar x 12
65 x 5
105 x 5
120 x 5 x 5 held bar for a long 5 count on last rep of set 5
RPE 8 8 8 8 8
Used overhand grip on first three sets, grip went on last rep of third set, had to hold the bar in my fingers.
Used mixed grip for sets 4 and 5 and oh boy what a difference, grip was rock solid and bar speed was much better. Back felt good all the way through, happy days.

OH press
Bar x 12
40 x 5
55 x 5 x 5
RPE 7 8 8 9 8
Lost tightness on set 4 so the last rep was slow and ugly. Set 5 was way better bar moved great for all reps.

Band pull aparts between all press sets

Pull ups
9 x 3 sets. RPE 8 9 10, last 2 reps were partials so waiter 30 sec and did 2 more rep

Hanging leg raises x 20 superset with dumbbell hammer curls 15kg x 20,
superset with cable tricep ext x a lot. Two rounds of this.

Great workout, solid deadlift especially with the mixed grip and some good pressing. Body is holding up well, a little soreness in the lower back so may be time for a massage.

2 Likes

Why not just slap 3 plates on and lift 140? Surely the 1 extra kilo is a big deal?

Oops good spot mate, that was a typo should say 120. Damn fat fingers !!

3 Likes

Monday 11th Sept

Felt good all day today, got some good sleep over the weekend and even found time to relax even though the wife was away and I had the kids. I knew the workout was going to be good today.

Usual warm up
Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 8
82.5 x 8 x 5 sets
RPE 7 7 7 7 8
Squats felt great tonight, body stayed tight and legs got a good pump. Knees started to cave in a little on the last two reps of set five but it was just fatigue and didn’t slow the bar down. Did the sets at a good pace and was breathing hard at the end of every set.

Bench
Bar x 15
67.5 x 8 x 5 sets
RPE 7 7 7 7 8
Really loving the pressing right now. Bar speed was good and the higher reps really gave me a great pump. I felt so good I did an extra rep on the last set to make 9.

Bent over row
75 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 7 7 7 8 8
Good reps but starting to feel heavy now. Kept the rest down to a minute on these so will add more time when the weight progresses.

Upright row
25kg x 15 x 2 sets

Really loving these higher volume weeks, the pump tonight was quality. I even saw some delt and pec veins tonight. I haven’t been real tight with my diet but am making sure I get enough protein every day and it seems to be working well.

2 Likes

Thu 14th sept - deadlift and oh press

Was a little tired today, been pretty busy at work this week and didn’t sleep well last night. Luckily this week is a volume week with lower weight so the workouts are not too hard.

Usual warm up and 10 box jumps and 10 ball slams

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 7 7 8 all sets moved fine last setbwas a little slower for the last few reps but mostly because I was breathing heavy. All sets done with double overhand grip.

OH press
Bar x 12
42.5 x 8 x 4
RPE 7 7 7 7 Good solid pressing tonight with a great little shoulder pump.

Pull ups
7 7 8 8
These felt ok tonight, got the 7 without stoping for the first two sets. For the last two stopped at six and then did two more. Definitely getting better at these.

Hanging leg raises x 20, superset with barbel curls 25kg x 20, superset with cable tricep extension x Lots of reps. 2 rounds of this.

Another good workout followed by some seriously tasty turkey, broccoli and cheese burgers. They were so good I ate 4 !!!

3 Likes

Monday 18th Squat and bench

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3
97.5 x 5 x 4 sets
RPE 8 8 a bit shaky on the last rep, 8 better on this set, 8
97.5 x 7 this was an amrap set and I really wanted 9 or 10. On rep 5 got out of shape in the hole and it was a struggle to get up, managed 2 more good reps but had no more RPE 9/10. Was fkn angry after this.

Bench
Bar x 12
65 x 5
82.5 x 5 x 4 sets
RPE 8 7 7 8 groove was off on first set but got better for the others
82.5 x 10 this was an amrap set, after squats I was angry and wanted at least 10 here. 10 was all I had, got a big hip and arse cramp on the last rep but still got it up. Happier with this.

Bent over row
50 x 5 x 5 RPE 5

Good and bad tonight, wanted more from the squats but happy with the pressing.

4 Likes

Thursday 21st deadlift and oh press

Usual warm up

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 4
127.5 x 4 x 5 sets
RPE 8 good grip but pulls were a little slow
8 speed better, 8 too slow off the floor but quicker past the knees, 8 got breathing wrong which effected bracing, 8 last set was the best, held the bar for a long 10 count on the last rep.

Happy with the deadlift tonight, still need to work on speed off the floor or the heavier weights won’t be nice but the rest was all good.

OH press
Bar x 12
45 x 5
57.5 x 4 x 6 sets
RPE 8, 8, 8, 8.5 a bit wobbly, 9
Solid pressing tonight, weight starting to get heavier but all the reps went up ok. Got a bit wobbly and lost balance a bit on the 5th set but other than that pretty happy.

Pull ups
10, 10, 9, 9
RPE 8, 9, 10, 10 these were hard tonight, just happy to tick them off

2 Likes

Great log mate, good to see, I’m in the same boat, don’t wanna be that dad that can’t do shit! Haha.
Solid lifting mate, good luck with mixed grip deads, they are by far my favourite. Do you pull sumo or conventional?
Have you considered giving OH press its own day?

1 Like

Thanks man, I pull conventional deadlift and would love a press day but with work and 3 kids, two training days is all I can commit to with 100% discipline right now. Maybe in the future when the kids are a bit older I will do 3 or 4 days.

2 Likes

How old are the kids? My daughter is 4 and my son is 1. I’m off Mon-Wed and the YMCA has a Kid Zone which is basically a daycare with a 2 hour time limit. I get in great sessions on those days and struggle like hell to get in good sessions on my work days.

I pretty much have 3 awesome training days and then I hit the same muscles again with 3 half assed workouts Thurs-Sat. My goal is to redefine this dad bod nonsense.

3 Likes

Yep time is always against ya when your a parent, I set the garage up years ago for lifting and try to get the little man in there as often as possible, he loves to bang out chinups, dips and push-ups along with bashing the bag utilizing his karate.
I’d much rather him be in there being active than staring at a screen, and he will tell me when my bench isn’t low enough and wouldn’t pass, haha

4 Likes

Girls 7 and 6 and boy 4, I use my neighbours garage gym, he has a PT and triathlon coaching business and lets me use the gym for free. It’s close to home so it means sessions don’t keep me away too long. A gym with a creche sounds good but probably wouldn’t work with my three terrors!!!

3 Likes

No weights today but spent 2 hours this morning digging out 2 big trees from the garden. Big lower back pump from digging and having to lift the muddy stumps out. Beautiful day today so sat at the neighbours this arvo whilst the kids swam in the pool and I drunk a few cold ones. Spring is Quality and can’t wait for summer, bring it on.

3 Likes

Monday 25th Sept - Squat and bench

Usual warm up

Squats
Bar x 10
65 x 8
85 x 8 x 6 sets
RPE 7 8 8 8 8 9 last 2 reps were slow

Bench
Bar x 15
67.5 x 8 x 6 sets
RPE 7 7 7 8 8 8.5
Pressing felt great tonight and extra volume gave a great pump
Band pull aparts between all sets

Bent row
77.5 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 8 8 9 9 - these felt heavy and very out of breath at end of set. Happy with my form on these.

Upright row 25kg x 20 x 2 sets

Super happy with the session tonight, body still loving the volume. Quality

5 Likes

Thursday 28th Deadlift and OH press

Usual warm up - agile 5, box jumps x 10, ball slams x 10

Deadlifts
Bar x 10
65 x 8
112.5 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 8 8 8
Double overhand grip for all sets. Started losing grip on last few reps of second set. Focused on gripping harder on the last set, got 5 reps then switched to mixed grip for the last three reps. Paused the bar for a second a few inches off the ground on the last rep, bar speed was still good even with the pause. Happy days.

OH press
Bar x 12
42.5 x 8 x 5 sets
RPE 7 7 7 7 7
Pressing felt eeeeeeeasy tonight. Love it!

Chins body weight + 5kg
7 7 7 7
first two sets were ok, last two were hard. Had to use a little body English on the last couple of reps.

Hanging leg raise x 20, superset with hammer curls 20kg x 12, superset with cable tricep ext x a lot. Two rounds of this.

Great workout tonight. Followed it up with a big cheese and ham omelette and a big bowl of homemade rice pudding. Quality

2 Likes

No training this week, been crook and decided to give the body a rest. I am going to repeat the last volume week again next week. Expecting some good DOMS especially in the legs but figured a repeat of volume would be a good primer for the heavier week to follow. I am usually bummed when I miss a week of training but have been so tired all week and going to bed early that I Haven’t really cared. I am taking that as a good sign that I needed a break and reckon I’ll come back more energised and up for it next week.

3 Likes

Monday 9th October - Squat and Bench

After a week off feeling like shit and sleeping 10 - 12 hours every night I was back at it tonight. Decided to repeat the previous weeks volume workouts rather that come straight back to a weight jump. Great workout tonight, no drop off in strength and felt real good to be back on it.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 8
85 x 8 x 6 sets
RPE 7 7 8 8 9 bit wobbly on last rep didn’t rest long enough, had a longer rest between sets 5 and 6 due to work ringing me, rpe in last set 8.

Bench
Bar x 15
67.5 x 8 x 6sets
RPE 7 7 7 8 8 9 kept the rests short here about 90 secs, great chest pump. Band pull aparts done between every set.

Bent over row
77.5 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 8 8 9 9 a little bit of body movement on the last two sets, rushed through these a little.

Upright row
25 x 15 x 2 sets, 30 sec rest between.

Really happy with the session tonight… I’m back!!!

Also my Neversate shirt from @Alpha arrived down under today. I love it and reckon that will add 40lbs to my deadlift overnight… Quality

6 Likes

That does seem to be a thing with Neversate shirts

3 Likes