Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

The vinegar juice might help because it has lots of salt in. Salt is an old recipe for helping cramping.
Beer helps on everything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back has been a bit locked up for a couple of days but feels a little better today. Starting to look forward to my daughters basketball game and my training tonight.

4 Likes

Friday 20th July - Micro 3 week 1
Deadlift and oh press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
125 x 3
137.5 x 3 x 5 sets
RPE 8 (first set was a little slow), 7 (little better), 7 (quicker again), 8, 7
Good pulls tonight no issues despite sore back for a few days

Tempo Paused squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5 (slight pause)
90 x 3 x 4 sets
RPE 8, 8, 9, 9
These were really good tonight, still putting my head back a little but the body was much tighter and power out the whole was good.

OH press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 10
45 x 6
62.5 x 6 RPE 10 (last one was slow),
62.5 x 6 RPE 10 (little legs on last 2),
62.5 x 6 RPE 10 ( legs on last 2),
62.5 x 7 RPE 10 only 3 strict so I added another rep at the end.

Presses feeling hard tonight. Big lower back pump from deads and squats.

Had my daughters basketball game before training tonight and it was a tense game but the team were awesome. She played the best game yet, amazing defence and amsome great passes to set up a couple of baskets. She worked so hard bless her. She is the only girl in the team and all the boys where patting her on then head and hi fiving her for a great game at the end. Made be so happy. And they won by 1 point, Qualty.

Oh and my workout was pretty good too!!

6 Likes

Tempo paused squats from tonight

https://instagram.com/p/BlcztI3hymf/

6 Likes

Pretty relaxing weekend, has Auskick with the kids on Saturday morning and then karate with my daughter. Body has been ok, a little tight through the hips but nothing too bad and back seems to have sorted itself out. I am nearly half way through this volume block and body feel good. The weights start to get heavier now so it will be interesting to see how it holds up. Last week I added an extra small meal of chicken and sweat potatoe at work and will continue that through the block to help with recovery. Looking forward to the next 6 weeks. Time to get busy.

2 Likes

Tuesday 24th July - micro 3 week 2
Squat and bench
Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 8
85 x 5
95 x 8 x 4
RPE 7, 7, 9 (suddenly got tough), 8 rested a little longer and was better.
Very happy with squat tonight.

Tempo pause Bench
Bar x 10
65 x 5
75 x 4 x 4 sets
RPE 9 (lost count and think I did 5), 8 felt better, 8, 9
Stayed tight tonight but can still drive more with the legs. Gives me something to work on!

Bent row (rest 2 mins)
82.5 x Max x 4
10, 8, 9, 10
Barbell glute thrust
75 x 8 x 4

Really enjoyed tonight, tried a new pre workout and don’t know if it was placebo but I deff had good energy tonight. Squats were good and really pumped the legs. Tempo bench was tight and the rows and thrusters were icing on the cake. Quality

Leg pump from tonight’s workout

9 Likes

The wheels are coming along nicely mate, keep it up.

Quads are growing. Nice.

Thanks @MarkKO and @I_Luc it’s all slowly slowly at this age and with only 2 days a week it is deff harder to make progress.

2 Likes

Wifey went meat shopping and picked up some beef short ribs. Dry rub applied tonight and then after 2 days of marinating they will be slow cooked on Saturday.

8 Likes

Daughter doing awesome in basketball, squats looking crisp, quads looking big, and beef looking delicious! Great things going on over the last few days!

5 Likes

Thanks @littlesleeper, I sometimes think that with my two little sessions a week that I don’t have much going on in here. But when you put it like that I feel pretty good :blush:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hmmmmm riiiiiiibbssss.

Was going to train on Friday night but forgot that the wife was taking the girls out and I was home with my boy. Was a annoyed last night but had a good boys night in and then when the boy went to bed I watched “The redeems and the dominant,” I am not a big crossfit fan but watching these guys and girls train and compete is quality. Really made me want to start moving again. I don’t want to do crossfit but it’s been a year since I did any running or any real conditioning and watching it made me want to go run track or do something fast and furious.
Thinking it’s time to add some conditioning back in and get this old dad body going again. Hmmm time to come up with a plan.

4 Likes

Any reason for not wanting to do crossfit?

Simo has been on some pretty good planned progressions so I’m guessing the lack of planning is intimidating.

@simo74, hit the track! Sprinters are jacked!

1 Like

The main reason for not wanting to do it, is purely my ability to be able to commit time and money. And @Frank_C is also correct that I do love my planned blocks of training that allow me to track progress and know what’s coming. There is a crossfit box very close to my house (less that 5km) but I just can’t do the times that the sessions are on and it’s over $100 a month, which considering my current gym is free, that’s a lot of coin. I could probably program some WODS at home but not sure how I would add them and not impact on my current program.
I am thinking I will start with something basic like some weighted vest walking, I will then add in some sprints and maybe some bodyweight conditioning or barbel complexes.
@Frank_C I used to run track every Tuesday night but it now clashes with my daughters sport so they as always come first.

5 Likes

Saturday 28th July - micro 3 week 2
Deadlift and OH

Did agile 5 (defrancos agile 8 but without the foam rolling) followed by 10 box jumps and 10 ball slams to warm up. Felt good to do something explosive to start.

Bench - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
92.5 x 5 RPE 8 moved good
92.5 x 5 RPE 8
92.5 x 5 RPE 8
92.5 x 5 RPE 9 last couple were slow
92.5 x 5 RPE 9
Happy with bench tonight

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 5
132.5 x 5 RPE 8 little slow
132.5 x 5 RPE 7 way quicker :slight_smile:
132.5 x 5 RPE 7
132.5 x 5 RPE 7 speed was good
Back a little tight but pulls were good tonight.

OHP - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 10
45 x 8
57.5 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 10 (tiny leg dip on last 2), 10, 10
Press was a little off tonight

Pull ups + 5kg (close grip palms facing)
8, 8, 7, 6

Push up max - 38

Got to do my session from yesterday today. Felt really good to be in the gym and most of the lifts felt good. Oh was a little off tonight but with benching first I think my triceps were a little tired. Deadlift moved nice, after a slow first set I really focused on speed and it deff made it a lot easier. Now it’s time to eat. I didn’t cool my ribs today, have left them marinating for another day and will slow cook them tomorrow. Can’t wait.

7 Likes

Sounds like a plan. It’ll be cool to see how this affects your lifts (I’m guessing it will help you get even stronger)