Tuesday 13th March, Volume block, micro 1 week 1, Squat and bench

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 8
82.5 x 8 RPE 5 maybe less felt smooth and easy
82.5 x 8 RPE 6
82.5 x 8 RPE 6
82.5 x 8 RPE 6
Really tried to keep these fast and push hard out of the bottom. Happy with the speed and happy with the pump !!

Bench
Bar x 12
65 x 8
70 x 8 RPE 6
70 x 8 RPE 6
70 x 8 RPE 6
70 x 8 RPE 6
First 4 reps fast, second 4 reps focused on slow down staying tight and explode up with leg drive

Accessories
Bent row (max reps but leave 1-2 in the tank)
75 x max reps x 4 sets
12, 12, 10 (last 2 reps were a little loose), 8
Superset with Incl bench (max reps but leave 1-2 in the tank)
60 x max reps x 4 sets
11, 11, 10, 9

These were tough, really puffing after the last set. I held back a little on the rows tonight as I wanted to keep the form good and my right bicep is still angry!! First time doing inc press in years, felt weird !! Probably could have added one or two reps here and there but wanted to keep something to aim for next time.

Upright row
25 x 20 x 2

Awesome session tonight, bar moved fast for the main lifts as it should have done. Massive pec pump after the accessories. Quality

4 Likes

How do you adjust the volume?

I typically drop assistance volume as the intensity increases on the main work. In just curious about your approach.

My approach right now is to do what ever my friend/coach tells me to do. I will do my best to explain it.
The basic set up of the program is a volume block (6 micro’s total 12 weeks) followed by an intensity block (4 micro - 8 weeks).

With the volume block the reps are generally higher and consistent across the working sets e.g. 5 sets of 9 with same weight. All weights are % of 1RM or my last estimation of 1RM based on top set of 2 or 3 reps from last block.
Each micro consists of 2 weeks ( I am only training 3 days a week).
The first week is lighter with higher reps e.g this week for squat was 63% 4 sets of 8. The second week the weight increases by 10% but the reps drop. Squat next week is 73% 4 sets of 5. The % look odd but it’s just to get the bar weight to the nearest 2.5kg.
This block he has added extra pressing into the assistance work and also has me supersetting the assistance and hitting max reps (leaving 1-2 in the tank).
With each micro the % and reps change. Micro 2 week 1 is 73% 5 sets of 7 and week 2 is 83% 5 sets of 4.
Basically the program undulates the volume and weight across the 12 weeks. The first week of micro 6 is usually a mini deload or a slight drop in intensity and then the last week of the block you work up to a new 3 rep max for the 4 main lifts.

Hope that makes some sense. We are essentially accumulating volume (weight and reps) with sub max weights in the 63 - 83 % and then testing a 3 rep max.

It make sense. I wasn’t sure if you had a dramatic change when you finished the volume phase and entered the next phase. It looks like you just gradually move from one phase to the next.

When the program changes from a volume block to an intensity block then there is a different approach. In the intensity block, week 1 of each micro has me working up to one heavy set of 2 reps or a heavy single and then a few back off sets at lower %. In the second week of each micro I do multiple sets of heavy triples or doubles. It’s like The first week gets me moving a heavier weight and prepares me for multiple sets with a heavier weight the week after.

1 Like

Thursday 15th March, micro 1 week 1 - Deadlift and OH press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 5
107.5 x 8 x 3 sets
RPE 6, 6 this set was better than the first,
Focus on speed and pushing the world away with my legs tonight. Really felt the higher reps in my lungs tonight. Pulls feel good.

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
47.5 x 8 x 4 sets
RPE 7 8 8 8
Press felt good tonight, legs and midsection braced nicely and bar moved smooth.

Accessories
Pull ups (bodyweight)
4 sets max 12, 9, 9, 7
Superset with Push ups bodyweight
4 sets max 35, 25, 20, 20

Hanging leg raise x 20 - 2 sets

Trained a day earlier this week because tomorrow I am going to the Arnold in the day and wifey is out with the girls at night. Chest really felt the one less days rest. Massive pump from the push ups tonight. Really good session.

5 Likes

This was a great cue for me as well.

Nice. Dunno if I’ve popped in here or not, have been following along, but good work. Keep up the good fight against dad-bod, haha!

Thanks man good to have you in here. As my kids get older, faster and more energetic I need to train harder just to keep up.

As my wife and I are talking about and working on starting a family, this definitely rings true. Definitely plan on being the dad that shows their kids how to do stuff, not simply tells them due to all the table muscle they’ve accumulated haha anyway, good stuff, man!

1 Like

I’m trying to redefine dad bod. Why does it have mean you’re pear shaped with a fat belly and small shoulders? And why on Earth is this like a fettish thing with young women?

2 Likes

Approach-ability and security. Security in the sense that as a woman, if I’m more attractive than you (significant other) then I don’t have to worry about losing you, therefore I get what I want, when I want, how I want, because you’re options are so limited. In the age of instant gratification and need for constant validation, this makes the most sense to me.

That’s my theory anyway haha

2 Likes

It’s as good as any and good for fat, lazy, semi-bald guys LOL! How else could they snag arm candy?

Worked for me :joy:

1 Like

Is this what jacked gym bros tell themselves when chicks reject them?

“Im jacked, tan, juicy as fuck, why dont women want me”

“Wait, its because my god like physique and dashing good looks makes them feel insecure and view me as unapproachable , not that I’m a douchebag or anything”

No fear of anyone being intimidated by my dad bod. It does shit me though that the perception of dad bod is overweight and narrow shouldered. Most dads I know are still plenty fit and strong. I’m with you @Frank_C trying to change people’s view.

2 Likes

Spent the day yesterday at the Arnold in Melbourne. Had an awesome day, got to see some of the women’s powerlifting, pretty cool to see a 60kg woman squat 220kg. Talk about make you feel weak !! Got to watch the amateur and pro stongman events and even a little women’s physique on the main stage. The strongman was deff my favourite, the under 80kg guys were insanely quick and strong for their size and getting to watch giants like Terry Hollands, J F Caron, Dimitar Savatiniv and Martins Licis was unreal. One of the Aussie guys Rongo Keene got 1 rep with the 190kg log which was a new Aussie record, so good to see live. I was also lucky enough to say hello to Ed Coan and shake his hand, really nice guy. All round a Quality day.

7 Likes

I’ll have to make it over there one year to see the Arnold’s, might try and drag the son along too.

It’s a good day, it is obviously full of every type of gym bro and meathead you can imagine. There was other sports there like boxing, mma, soccer, cricket, etc etc. The expo is mainly supps and gym gear and wear. You grab a few samples as you go round and try a few tasters of course.

1 Like

So it’s been a few weeks now and still have a angry right bicep. The pain is mostly at the elbow joint or lower portion of the bicep. It doesn’t seem to be effecting my grip and the 4 main lifts are unaffected. But pulls ups and rows are effected and I couldn’t do more than 2 light barbel curls in my last workout. Any ideas ??

Maybe switch out rows and pull ups for rack pulls or a deadlift variation,
loaded carries with straps also tax the upper back area quite heavily.
Basically stuff that doesn’t involve moving your arms lol