Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

@mortdk Yes I train 2 days a week. A squat and bench day and a Deadlift and OH press day.
I am currently running an intensity block that is broken into 4 micro cycles. Each cycle is 2 weeks. Week 1, for squat, bench and deadlift I work up to a single set (2 reps in first 2 micros and 1 rep in 2nd 2 micros), then back off for volume at less weight. For OH press it is straight linear progression with lower %.

For week 2 of each cycle, it’s basically linear progression with volume increasing. (More weight and more reps).
In week 2 OH % are also higher.

All starting weights are % based on 1RM with weights progressing each week of the cycle.

I have a friend program for me, that way all I have to do is load the bar and hit the reps.

4 Likes

Friday 23rd Feb - Micro 4 week 1 - Deadlift and OH press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 2
125 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1 RPE 8
135 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
RPE 7 good speed, 7, 7, 8 grip starting to go on last rep, 8

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
45 x 5
50 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 8
RPE 6, 6, 6, 7 starting to slow down, last set felt good so decided to do a few more reps on the last set - RPE 8 still had 2 more

Pull ups
7 x 4 sets
Right bicep very tight from pulls

Hanging leg raise x 20, push up x 30
2 rounds
No hammer curl tonight as right bicep was not happy.

Have had a shite week at work and not the best sleep or diet this week so wasn’t really pumped about training tonight. Very happy to hit all my reps despite being tired. Funny how a bad week can be made better with a good workout. Now to enjoy the weekend.

5 Likes

have a good weekend man, nothing better than a good weekend to recover!

1 Like

Had a pretty good day. Pulled up well from last nights session. No back or hip pain which is definitely a good thing. Had a day with the kids today whilst the misses get her hair cut. Party at the neighbours house this arvo which made looking after the kids easier and meant I could have a few drinks. Time to chillax on the couch and take it easy.

3 Likes

Tuesday 27th Feb - Micro 4 wk 2
Squat and Bench.

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 2
112.5 x 1 felt good
117.5 x 2 RPE 8 felt slow
117.5 x 2 RPE 8 ok
117.5 x 2 RPE 9 getting tough
117.5 x 2 RPE 9 last rep was a bit slow
117.5 x amrap 3 + 1 a bit high call it 3.5 reps. First 2 reps were solid, third rep was maybe a bees dick high but I’m not competing to I’ll take it. Added a fourth but it was deff high. Still Happy.

Bench - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
65 x 5 felt fast
85 x 2 slow
95 x 2 better
102.5 x 2 RPE 9 slow need more leg drive and anger :slight_smile:
102.5 x 2 RPE 9 hard no drive :frowning:
102.5 x 2 RPE 9 better reps this set, stayed tight and used more leg drive
102.5 x 2 RPE 9 good
102.5 x amrap just hit the 2, not fully happy but still ok.

Row
87.5 x 5 x 3 sets. Should have been 5 sets but right forearm was angry and I have deadlift on Friday so but these short.

Tonight was the last week of my intensity block. Needed 3 reps on squat for a rep PR so was very happy to hit 3. Really thought bench would move better than it did but maybe squat took a bit more out of me or maybe training a little later tonight slowed me down. Still happy with 5 doubles at 102.5 for bench but just like Oliver Twist I always want more !!

4 Likes

T Nation gave you a cake :slight_smile:
Is it your birthday, if so Happy birthday mate :slight_smile:

I have no idea why I got a cake and unfortunately it is not my birthday!! I wish they had sent me a real cake, now all I can think about is eating cake. It is my sons birthday tomorrow so should have cake tomorrow !!

Ahh I thought it, tpwanisher had a cake too. It was also Tnation birthday.
But one of the girls (don’t remember which) had a cake and it was her B-day.
Happy T Nation day then :slight_smile:
And congrats with your son tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

happy bday to your son, also happy t-nation anniversary.

I think the full cake is for your birthday (if you’ve entered it on your profile). The slice of cake (by my name today) is the anniversary of the day you created your T-Nation account.

1 Like

Mine was for my tnation anniversary. It is my youngest 5th birthday today. Can’t believe how quick that time has flown. Will be having cake later today and no training tonight. I guess I will call that carb loading for tomorrow’s deadlift session!!!

2 Likes

I’m jealous of the cake and deadlifts.

1 Like

Friday 2nd March - micro 4 week 2, Deadlift and OH press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
125 x 3
140 x 5 RPE 8 grip was solid
140 x 5 RPE 8 last couple of pulls were hard but grip held
140 x 5 RPE 9 bit dizzy after last rep
140 x 5 RPE 9.5 grip still held strong would definitely have not got 5 without the chalk.
140 x 5 RPE 10 last sloooow but it went up to the top !!

Oh press
Bar x 10
45 x 5
62.5 x 5 RPE 9 last rep a little slow
62.5 x 5 RPE 8 faster that time
62.5 x 5 RPE 10 if I did more I would have used my legs
62.5 x 5 RPE 10 tiny dip of knees on last rep, back just wouldn’t stay tight
62.5 x 5 had to use a little leg drive in the last 3 reps, was stufffed.
Lower back was pumped after deads, made it hard to keep tight. Still happy with the reps I got.

Pull ups + 5kg
8 x 4 sets
Did first set with extra 5kg but right arm was angry so did last 3 with just body weight

Hanging leg raise x 20, push up x 30
2 rounds (no curls tonight arm too sore)

Used chalk for deadlifts today…and boy am I happy i did. Got all my reps tonight and it felt awesome. The program is definitely working, this was the best deadlift session I have done in many many many years. Quality!

3 Likes

Went for a run to the park with the kids on their bikes yesterday. All up around 3km of stop start running. Body felt pretty good but condition is pretty poor. Really need to start weigh vest walking and some running again. Went out with a group of friends for dinner last night to a Peruvian restaurant. Food was amazing and company was good too. Had a couple of beers but stopped at two cause I had to no up early today for kids cricket. Coaches the little kids (4-6 yrs) for 1.5hrs this morning. Fair bit of walking and jogging around trying to keep all 40
Kids engaged.
The week ahead is going to be a deload for me. Will do a couple of full body workouts, all exercises will be done superset style and the weights will be kept pretty low. Just going to pump some blood through the muscles and raise the heart rate.

3 Likes

Tuesday 6th March - Deload week

Squat superset with SLDL
65 x 10 - 25 x 12 - 3 sets

Bench superset with Barbel row
65 x 10 - 65 x 8 - 3 sets

Oh press superset with pull ups
45 x 8 - bodyweight x 5 - 3 sets

Hanging leg raise superset with close grip press - 25kg
20 reps each x 3 sets

Moved pretty quickly, didn’t rest much between sets. All up it took 40 mins. I was puffing hard and sweating by the end. Actually felt a little dizzy after the last set. Good session with a good pump. I’m liking this deload week already.

3 Likes

My friend who is programming for me gave me the stats on the last 2 blocks of training. I haven’t worried about this and have just focused on hitting the reps each week. It was really good to see the progress. Here is an extract of what he sent me:

"Squat
We Started this block with a calculated Max (think of it more as strength score rather than a perfect 1RM projection) of 126.5kg. And we ended with some fairly consistent performances yielding 133kg. A pretty good gain. ~5% gain. I’m happy with that considering a lack of bodyweight gain. I think we can best that in the next two blocks (Volume then Intensity). 145-150 Without even thinking about it.

Bench:
Simply put, 110kg to 112.5kg. A modest increase, but also keeping in mind you have been trying to trim up a bit…not terrible, but something we can improve in. just over 2%.

Deadlift:
Overall, this lift perfomed the best. We saw a performance dip in the middle of the block, then a solid peak in the final micro, nice. 161.5 to 172.5kg, almost 7%.

Press:
I think we did ok here also. 75-77.5. That doesnt sound like much…BUT, YOU ARE FUKKEN CLOSE TO A BW PRESS mate, haha. So thats actually really good."

All up I am very happy with how I went and now really looking forward to what I can do over the next two blocks. We are going back to a volume block and will then progress into another intensity block. I will try to improve my diet a little by adding some more protein and a little extra fat and see if I can gain a couple of pounds also.

4 Likes

Friday 9th March - Deload

Same workout as Tuesday

Squat superset with SLDL
65 x 10 - 25 x 12 - 3 sets

Bench superset with Barbel row
65 x 10 - 65 x 8 - 3 sets

Oh press superset with pull ups
45 x 8 - bodyweight x 5 - 3 sets 1

Hanging leg raise superset with close grip press - 25kg - 20 reps each x 3 sets

Got this all done in 35 mins tonight. Has been warm all day so the shed was hot and I really worked up a good sweat and a good pump tonight. Looking forward to getting back into another volume block next week. Time to slowly build some muscle and add some more strength.

2 Likes

I just did sprints in the sun and that wrecked me. You’re crazy training in this heat especially in a shed!

Says the kid who lives in WA and sprints !! Lol

Good work Duke

1 Like

Well hopefully i at least tan a little :joy:

Thanks man!

1 Like