Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Thursday 25th Jan Deadlift and OH press

I was looking forward to training all day today, bit frustrated with work and wanted to unwind in the gym. At the same time I was dreading it. My legs were still sore and stiff today with even walking upstairs a chore. So I was wondering how that would effect my pulling power!

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 2
120 x 2
135 x 2 RPE 7 solid reps
120 x 6 RPE 7 but glad I didn’t have to do three more :wink:
120 x 6 RPE 6 more explosive moved faster
120 x 6 RPE 7
120 x 6 RPE 8 started to tire now
Kept rest to 2 mins, very pleased with my pulls tonight especially as my legs were still stuffed from Monday.

Oh
Bar x 10
45 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE 6 7 7 7 7
These felt easy tonight RPE may have been 6 for all sets. Big forearm pump from gripping the heck out of the bar!!

Pull ups
7 x 4 sets
RPE 7 7 9 9
Kept the rest short on these max 90 sec, last two sets were not easy.

Hanging leg raise x 20, barbell curl 25kg x 15, push up x 30 - 2 rounds
Only 20 push ups on second set!

Quality session tonight. Pulls were smooth and pressed were fast. Legs still sore but didn’t effect my power. Three days to recover until I squat again. Plenty of Time to eat some protein and roll out the legs.

3 Likes

It’s funny how DOMS is no indicator of performance. Lucky, really.

1 Like

I think you are half right Mark, not sure my performance would have been great if I was squatting !!

1 Like

Osteo this morning, straightened out my back and loosened my hips a bit. Felt
Good. Hot hot hot today so mixing it with some sun, some swimming in the pool and some beer and BBQ. Quality

1 Like

Good to hear the backs holding up and you’ve got someone to look after it, otherwise it could be a nightmare.
It’s been bloody hot here for the last few weeks too, 42 today and tomorrow!!

1 Like

Thanks man. How’s training going in Adelaide?

1 Like

Going well, bloody hot out in the garage though, haha.

Ha ha I know how you feel. Mine gets real hot especially when it has been hot for a few days. When the afternoon sun has been beating on the metal door you can feel the heat radiating off it when you train. I figure it might melt some of my flab away !!!

1 Like

Our double garage is under the main roof and can enter through the hallway, so I crank the ducted air conditioning (evaporative) and leave just that door open for some air flow, but it’s still failry toasty

1 Like

Monday 29th Jan Squat and Bench

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
95 x 3
107.5 x 3 x 4 sets
RPE 8 8 9 second rep felt a tinny but high so dropped a lot lower (too low) for the third which made it a lot harder. 9 solid reps but legs getting tired

107.5 x amrap - got 5 reps RPE 9+ happy with that.
5 reps wasn’t a rep PR for this weight but considering I has already done 4 sets with this weight and the reps were all to good depth I was very happy.

Bench
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 3 bit slow, not using leg drive enough need to focus on driving the bar up
92.5 x 3 x 4 sets
RPE 7, 8, 9 no power, 8 better drive
92.5 x amrap - only 5 reps ran out of juice RPE 9 wanted a couple more but wasn’t there tonight. Bit tired from the heat and think I rushed the rest a bit for Bench tonight.

Row
85 x 6 x 5 sets - 1 min rest
RPE 7 8 9 9 9

Upright row 25 x 20 x 2 - 30 sec rest

Fried just fried !!

4 Likes

30 body weight squats and 30 push ups. That was my entire exercise today. I wasn’t planning on anything but have decided to do some body weight squats and push ups every non training day. For this week it will just be 30 of each and I will add a bit to it each week. The idea was just to flush a little blood through the muscles to aid recovery and stop me being too lazy on my days off.

6 Likes

30 body weight squats, 30 push ups. Spent too much time sitting in meetings at work today so my back and hips were a bit stiff this evening. Doing the squats loosened them up a little and a long hot shower helped. Can’t deadlift on Thursday this week as I have to take my daughter to karate. Will move it to Friday which will give me another day of recovery and hopefully set me up for a good session.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier. Give it a crack. I’ve been doing it for a few weeks and it works

1 Like

Friday 2nd Feb - Deadlift and OH press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 3
125 x 3
137.5 x 5 RPE 9 little slow
137.5 x 5 RPE 7 much quicker, neighbours wife and little girl walked in on 1st rep so had to make it look good :wink:
137.5 x 5 RPE 9.5 slow again
137.5 x 3 RPE 10 had no more
137.5 x 3 no more

Happy with deadlift tonight, plan had 5 reps per set but after 3 sets I was done. This is the most sets n reps with this weight I have done in years. Quality

Oh press with band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 12
45 x 5
62.5 x 5 RPE 9 little slow
62.5 x 5 RPE 9 same as first set
62.5 x 5 - 3 good reps then a little legs on the last 2
62.5 x 5 - 2 ok then a little leg drive to get 5
62.5 x 5 - 3 ok leg drive on 2

Think I was a little tired from deads but rekon I went ok.

Chins +5kg narrow grip hands facing - 1 min rest
8 x 4 sets
RPE 6 8 10 (7reps) 10 (7 reps)

Hanging leg raise x 20, barbell curl x 20 push up x 30
2 rounds -30 sec rest, only did 20 push ups on second round.

Overall very happy tonight. The deadlifts moved well albeit a little slow and the presses were ok. Body feels a little beaten up now, just walking is causing a little cramp in my calves. Big feed up tonight and over the weekend to aid recovery and just because I like eating !!

1 Like

Thanks for the vid mark, I rekon I should video myself trying to get upside down in a band as it is bound to end badly !!

2 Likes

Haha, love it how another woman walking in puts a few kg’s on the lifts :+1::+1:

1 Like

For sure mate. I was literally at the top of my first pull when she walked in to get something out of the garage. She took one look at my bright red face and said OMgosh. That was enough to make the next rep move a lot quicker. Then her little girl who has just turned 4 walked in and stood there watching me for the next three just smiling and staring. Maybe I should ask them to watch every week. Ha ha

5 Likes

Body really felt the pulls from yesterday. Spent a bit of time in the sun washing the wife’s car and my motorbike and had a full lower back pump by the end. Spent some time on the roller and a nice hot shower and it seems to be good now. I have to coach the little kids cricket tomorrow morning so hoping I can bend over when I wake up tomorrow !!

1 Like

Monday 5th Feb - Squat and Bench

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
95 x 2
110 x 1 Solid
120 x 1 RPE 8 slow descent nice and deep, smooth up. definitely had 1 more but rekon I could have squeezed 2.
97.5 x 5 RPE 7 good
97.5 x 5 RPE 8 getting wobbly
97.5 x 5 RPE 8 little knee cave on last 2 reps, speed was good
97.5 x 5 RPE 8 felt this one

Bench - band pull aparts beteeen sets
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
95 x 1
100 x 1 RPE 8 nice slow down, good pause and steady up. Could have used more leg drive but didn’t need it.
87.5 x 5 x 4 sets
RPE 7, 7, 8, 8
Solid pressing tonight, happy.

Row
87.5 x 5 x 4 sets

Upright row
25kg x 25 x 2 sets

Overall really pleased with the session tonight. Squats are slowly progressing and although I have squated more weight in the past, the form was no where near as good as my current squats. Bench was solid again this week with a bit more to give. Quality.

2 Likes

Friday 9th Feb - deadlift and oh press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 5
105 x 2
120 x 2
140 x 1 RPE 7 felt a little slow off the floor but moved ok
127.5 x 5 x 4 sets
RPE 6 6 6 7 solid pulls tonight back felt good, no discomfort.

Oh press - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 10
45 x 5
47.5 x 5 x 4 sets
RPE 5 5 5 5 pressing felt strong today, good speed.

Pull ups (body weight)
7 x 4
RPE 6 7 7 7

Hanging leg raise x 20, hammer curl 15kg x 15, push up x 30
2 rounds

The session felt a little like a heavy deload today. Body felt good and weights moved well. Osteo tomorrow to bet my old wine rack and my Gregory Peck sorted out!!

3 Likes