Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

I know how you feel mate, although we don’t have family stay or any shit like that. That would drive me freaking insane!
I do cop the ‘pop in’ from the mother in law though, grrr! Usually I disappear as I ‘suddenly’ have shit to do.

2 Likes

Lol I have been doing this too

Woke at 85.2kg , had some salted peanuts last night as a little treat was expecting a weight gain. Happy with this.

2 Likes

Food prep for the week, time to get the bbq on.

6 Likes

Looks good, but IMO your beef/chicken ratio is a little light…

1 Like

Lol, that’s 100% chicken, the stuff in the hot plate was thigh that had been marinated so was darker. That was my lunch today. The last two weeks Steve have been all chicken and no beef chilli. I’ll stay off it for another week and then bring it back in.

Little boxing conditioning session today. 10 x 2 min rounds with 30 sec rest on the heavy bag. Shed was over 30 degrees this arvo so sweater up a real storm. My son came out and did some boxing too. He hit the bag for 30 secs while I rested and then watched my rounds.

6 Likes

Woke at 85.6kg this is very odd, I had a good day of eating yesterday and trained and yet my weight increased a little !! Guessing it’s water or I just need a really good poo !!

2 Likes

Salt? Sleep length and quality?

1 Like

My guess is sleep. The kids have all had a really bad cough for a few weeks and every night we get woke up from 1 to 4 times. It’s kinds like sleep deprivation torture!!

Monday 4th Feb week 3 - workout 1

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
90 x 10 x 5 sets RPE (198 lbs) - 8, 8, 8, 9, 10 (last 2 reps were an ugly good morning crossed with a squat)
SS with weighted sit ups

Squats moved ok again tonight, last few reps on all sets were hard for the legs, back and mostly the lungs!! Had to have longer rests tonight to make sure I hit all the reps. Felt a little light headed after these.

Bench
Bar x 10
65 x 5
80 x 7 x 5 sets (176 lbs) RPE- 8, 8, 8, 10, 10 (got 6 and then had to rest 10 secs and get the last one)
SS with band pull aparts x 20 x 5 sets
Bench moved ok but I was tired.

Bulgarians
10kg x 8 x 5 sets
Still about as coordinated as a drunk baby giraffe!! Kept the rests short and legs and lungs were hurting.

Push up
Max x 4 sets - 40, 23, 15, 18
SS pull ups close grip hands facing
5 x 4 sets - didn’t have enough breath to do more than 5

All done in 1hr 20 mins. That was one hell of a session. Absolutely wrecked, legs are wobbly, chest is rock solid and I need to lie down !!

6 Likes

Training tonight was like “The good, the bad and the ugly”
The good : I got through the extra volume and weight
The Bad : Next week the volume steps up again !!
The ugly : my last 2 reps on squats … not pretty

3 Likes

Awesome session Simo
Squat 5 sets of 10 reps looks absolutely horrible.

About your weight I’ve leaned out before and I know my body does the same, it kind of holds on to the weight.
I could go something like this 86 kg, 85.6, 85.4, 85.4, 85.2, 84,5 and then without a reason it goes back up to 85,6, stays there a day or two then drops back to 85 and keeps going down to 83. something then goes back up.
Really annoying but knowing it makes it easier.

EDIT: haha just read your comment about the good, then bad and the ugly

1 Like

Thanks @mortdk I guess quite a lot of the weight is water, so hydration, salt, sleep, food all have an impact.
You are right that 5 x 10 is not nice but it is in the program so I don’t have a choice :wink:

1 Like

Very solid sets of squats here. Ugh, I’m out of breath just reading it…

2 Likes

I’m beginning to like my new lower body maintenance plan :smile:

2 Likes

How’s the legs after all the squatting?

The weird thing is @I_Luc they actually feel pretty good. Training them 2 days a week seems to mean less DOMS. I am feeling a little fatigued but I’m sure this is poor sleep and not the work volume. One more week after this one and then a mini deload. Coach tells me the second block of 4 weeks is going to be horrible so watch this space.

1 Like

Lol the higher rep squats certainly get the lungs working. When doing these I never feel recovered by the time I start the next set but oddly the bar moved pretty good for the first 5 and then it’s just suck in air abs get to the end !

Woke at 84.5kg - that session last night certainly had an effect. Probably a little dehydrated but good to see it drop back under 85.