Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Solid deadlift yet. Not super ugly to me!

How they feel and how they look isn’t always the same. And for the ugly part I was looking at my face . Lol

1 Like

This is why I film a lot of my sets. I’ll finish and feel like it was the slowest worst rep ever. Watch the video and see it was on point. This is why I can’t do RPE based training. Sometimes a 7 feels like a 10 and vice versa.

4 Likes

Try use reps in reserve not how feels/looks to gauge RPE.

2 Likes

Merry christmas/happy holidays big fella. How’s the last bit of the year been? What’s 2021 looking like for you? More gains?

End of year was very stressful at work and busy in life. Training was on point though. Christmas was very nice thank you, I hope yours was too.
2021 will see me compete at the GPC vic states in February and then I will see where too after that. It’s going to be much of the same. Trying to get stronger and stay alive.

8 Likes

Here’s to another year my friend. Excited to see ur gains

Your too piggy, will be good to see us both compete

1 Like

Love seeing guys on here compete. Never really got into team sports so this is my version of watching the football at the weekends.

4 Likes

Never too late to get a comp in yourself mate

1 Like

I have less than zero interest in taking part in a powerlifting meet. Give me a few years and I could definitely be persuaded to go strongman though.

1 Like

Wasn’t talking about powerlifting. I 100% had strongman in mind for you :wink:

1 Like

I might have to get strong first though, don’t want anyone to get done by trading standards.

1 Like

I didn’t wait to be strong. I did a whooping double with a 160 kg deadlift in my first comp. And I had to train hard for that!

But wait as long as you feel you need. Only suggestion I have on the topic is to not wait too long. You grow with and through the challenge.
I don’t remember who said it ( @T3hPwnisher or @strongmanvinny2 ) but it was something like “if you sign up for a contest with a 225 kg deadlift and your max is at 200 kg, you’ll train as hatd as possible to reach those 225 kg. You bust your arse, show up and give it you’re all. You get it off the ground, stall mid shin and lose it under your knees. Now you may have failed but you’re a lot closer to that 225 kg than before you signed up and would have probably had 220 in you.”

Probably butchered that to hell but, sorry guys haha. But the message stuck with me for a long time and it was the reason I advanced to second league even though my strength standards were way off compared to most other guys there (and still are). But I’m still there and still improving.

4 Likes

Idk if I said that or Pwn but by god one of us probably did LOL @dagill2

At my first comp, I thought I was going to win with a 220kg DL, 130kg overhead, and 200kg squat. I was 18 years old, SUPER passionate, and dedicated. I trained so fucking hard for the show and idolized guys like Derek Poundstone, Magnus Samuelsson, Svend Karlsen, etc. Could recite their heights and weights and their PR’s on all lifts. I cared. A lot.

Still got totally fucking dusted by dudes who were laughing and having a good time at the comp while I paced back and forth like a mad man ready to use every ounce of my being on the next event.

Point is, it’s what you make it. Go sign up and have a good time. If you don’t like it after a comp, at least you can say you tried.

Also, ten years in, I still never feel ready to compete, and I sometimes take this sport too seriously for my own good lol.

5 Likes

Agree with @Koestrizer this is a terrible idea. Find a local comp sign up and go for it.

5 Likes

@Koestrizer @simo74 @Koestrizer give it a couple of years for the babies to be at school and I can commit a bit more time and it’s definitely on the cards.

5 Likes

So I am officially on holiday. I fly to Tasmania tomorrow for some much needed rest and family time. No training for me for the next week and then I will be back into a peak before competing. I hope you all have a good New Years and that 2021 brings you joy and happiness.

12 Likes

Have a good one Simo

1 Like

Yeah, otherwise it’d just be a “man” competition. At which you’d probably do okay.

4 Likes