Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

I knew I had pushed it pretty hard yesterday, well combine that with not lifting weights for 8 days and you get Major DOMS !!! Quads have been getting stiffer and more sore as the day went on. Did some very slow bodyweight squats tonight to try and stretch everything and get some blood moving. I am expecting it to be a lot worse when I wake up tomorrow!! I made sure I ate plenty of protein today and will get a decent sleep but still rekon I am in for a rough few days ahead !!!

3 Likes

Wednesday 23rd May - micro 5 week 2
Deadlift and OH press

Deadlift
Bar x 10
65 x 6 massive left glute/hammie cramp / weird pain !!
105 x 6 butt not good !!
125 x 3 really feeling pain on first rep, definitely slowing things down. The next 5 sets will be interesting.
142.5 x 6 RPE 9 too busy pulling hard to feel my glute !! Hurt a little after though. First rep was slow but rest were ok.
142.5 x 6 RPE 10 last rep was hard
142.5 x 1 got 1 slow rep and glute not happy, no power after that.

Should have been 5 sets of 6 reps tonight and was feeling real good before hand. Decided to cut it short. Not sure what happened to my glute/hammie it hurt right at the top of the hamstring and bottom of the butt. I am hoping it’s just cramp and fatigue. I said to my misses after I have broken my butt!! I Will see how much it hurts tomorrow when I wake up !!

OH press
Bar x 10
45 x 5
55 x 3
65 x 6 RPE 10 3 good reps 3 with a little legs
65 x 6 RPE 10 3 good, 3 with legs
65 x 6 RPE 10 1 good, 5 with legs
65 x 5 only 5 all with legs
65 x 5 with leg drive
Couldn’t really squeeze legs or butt which deff effected power tonight.

Pull ups
10, 10, 9
Superset with Push ups
Max x 3 - 32, 22, 20

Hanging leg raise 20 superset with Ab roll outs from knees x 10 - 2 rounds - I hate these !!

Overall I felt good going in and then after hurting butt I was way down on strength compared to 2 weeks ago. Could be work travel, could be fatigue, could be me being a pussy !! Still happy with the workout just because I pushed hard and got it finished.

8 Likes

That was a hard one Simo, coming in feeling strong and then boom out of nowhere.

Hoping you’ll be good tomorrow, but be careful and watch it.
@losthog had his hammy torn in the start of the year.
If it’s bad you could read back in his log for rehab.

1 Like

BIG MAN INCOMING. Good presses

1 Like

Sometimes it’s better just to bail when you feel something pop like that, saves missing more sessions later

@mortdk thanks man, yes it does suck a bit but looking at it today, I am not that surprised. My body was very beat up after squats in Sunday and having an 8 day break before. The legs still had significant DOMS going into the workout so should have been a sign for me that things might not go perfectly. I didn’t really warm up properly and did my warm up sets way too fast. I hit 142.5 x 5 x 5 a couple of weeks ago so was hoping I could get all 5 sets of 6 but that extra rep on each of the first two sets was tough. 142.5 x 6 is a rep PR for me so to hit that for 2 sets was still a big plus.

@I_Luc I really don’t feel like anything went pop. I tore a calf 2 years ago and this was no where near as painful as that. As I pulled up my whole left buttock and top of my hammie went into what I would describe as a big cramp. After even sitting on the bench was hurting it, and any hard contraction of the glute was very uncomfortable.

I did a couple of slow bodyweight squats this morning and it feels ok. Also did a couple of stretches and it feels a little stiff but no real pain, maybe a 1 out of 10. I think a couple of days rest lots of walking and a hot bath and massage will probably loosen it up and hopefully I’ll be good to squat again next week.
Next week is a mini deload week before testing 3RM the week after. So rekon I will be fine.

3 Likes

If you have a tear this rehab protocol works.

I iced mine the day of multiple times a day for the first three days then started the above linked work

Basically you squat every day once you can’t identify where it hurts. Super light sets of 25. For 3 sets.

I started with BW sets the first couple of days then moved to bar work. I came back stronger than I was pre tear. And my form improved a ton from the 2 weeks of daily squats.

It works. Ice is your friend in this. I was never a believer in ice until I used it to rehab my hammy. After a few days of ice only you can use ice, and heat alternating every 5 minutes for 20-30 minutes to force blood into and out of the affected area.

Good luck!

Sorry that other link wasn’t right

This has the protocol.

Thanks @losthog right now I am hoping it isn’t a tear. But i will have a look through this anyway as adding some squats through the week may have other benefits. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The bruising may take a few days to surface and you will know after sleeping if it is a tear. I finished my workout after my tear…thinking it wasn’t too bad. Then I got a bruise as big as a softball on my hammy. And when I was rehabbing I could feel it bleeding inside the leg and felt like jello was under the skin.

I will keep a close eye and send you a pic of my bruise if it appears !!!

Fixed it for you

2 Likes

Love your work mark. I’ll line em up you knock em down.

1 Like

Full body pics for me or nothing. I want to see it all.

2 Likes

Careful what you wish for mate !!

2 Likes

So my butt hasn’t been too sore today. I did some slow squats this morning and no real pain. Tried a little stretching and no real pain either. It has felt good all day but sitting on the couch tonight there is still a little niggle there. No visible bruising so still hoping it’s not a tear.

5 Likes

Monday 28th May - micro 6 week 1 (mini taper)
Squat and bench.

Squat
Bodyweight with mini band around the knees x 10
Bar x 10
65 x 6
85 x 6
100 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE 8, 8, 8 (third set felt better than the first 2), 9, 10 ( stopped last set at 3 reps, hammie not happy)
Squats were ok tonight but wasn’t feeling strong.

Bench - band pull aparts between sets
Bar x 10
65 x 6
85 x 5
90 x 6 x 5 sets
RPE - 9, 9, 9, 10, 10 (only got 5 reps on last set)

No accessories tonight I was a bit tight for time.

Still had a little pain in my left hammie and butt today but it didn’t seem to effect the squats until the last set. Bench moved ok tonight, still not using much leg drive but the reps were still solid.
Had a big serve of chilli con carne for lunch with brussel sprouts instead of rice. The smell in the gym tonight was pretty toxic !! At one point I was pretty sure I could see the gas cloud !!

5 Likes

Nice job listening to the body and shutting it down instead of tearing it out.

Thanks mate. I figured that 3 more reps today wasn’t going to make me but 1 wrong rep could break me. This week is supposed to be a little lighter to ha e a good go at a 3RM next week. No point pushing it too hard. I don’t think there is a tear but it’s deff not 100%. Just siting on the couch now and it’s a little sore still.

3 Likes

Use some ice bro. It will help. I never was an ice guy. I was always like yeah right put ice on it blah blah blah. Ice is for pussys. Then I did it and it works wonders. With ice Never direct skin contact and Never more than 20 min. I do 15 min.

2 Likes