Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

Woke at 81.3kg - looks like beer and chips are not a good choice !!

2 Likes

Woke at 81.8kg - did have a couple of beers yesterday but otherwise food was ok. Spend a couple of hours with dad trimming the trees with a chainsaw in the sun yesterday. Easter egg hunt with for the kids this morning and then will try to stop them eating all !!
Happy Easter to you all.

7 Likes

Good day hey, out with your dad in the garden and keeping the kids happy. Good stuff mate

1 Like

Yeah happy easter Simo quality time.
And an awesome looking workout the other day as well.

2 Likes

Woke at 81.9kg - must have slept funny cause neck is a little stiff. Got Amrap squat set tonight so this is going to be interesting.

2 Likes

Gave training a miss today. Seeing it was Easter Monday and the misses wanted to do a roast dinner. To tell the truth she forgot it was Monday and that it was training day. It’s an easy thing to do, it’s not like ive trainned every Monday for 3 years or anything!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Decided it wasn’t worth another argument so moved training to tomorrow night!!

6 Likes

Don’t argue with the missus it’s often a lost course. But remind her how much you have sacrificed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like your 270 x 8 x 4 deadlift day went really well!

Along those lines, you’d asked if we internet peeps think you should push harder. I, for one, think the answer lies in your own posts - you’re the only one not sick or injured. AND you’re gaining strength. AND you’re burning fat. AND you have the sense to not fight your misses over a training days that’s easily made up the next day :smiley:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, y’know?

2 Likes

Thanks @TriednTrue , how hard should I be training is often a question I ask myself. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. Sometimes I feel like I should be working harder and progressing more and other days I’m really happy with how things are. I guess it is why so many people program hop. We all think that maybe there is a better way or a faster way. When in truth there is just the way and all paths lead to the same destination, they just take in different scenery along the way.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, @simo74.

For those of us whose livelihoods don’t rely on our physical skills, training success is measured by somewhat ephemeral metrics. Instead of testing for timed runs or max push-ups, we gauge success on how we feel and function in activities indirectly related to the gym. As such, it can be tough to tell how hard to push.

In this endeavor, I think the journey and destination are closely correlated. To me, there are three different states of being we can exist in and move towards in the gym life.

First, and ideal, is riding on the Gainz Train, - being healthy, strong, and pleased with one’s physique. This is the ostensible goal of most gym-goers. The second destination is A Rut, which is stagnation. We spin our wheels, make little or no tangible progress, and eventually do very little or no training. I think we can move between the first and second states somewhat easily, and that’s partly what drives program hopping. The third destination is Snap City, aka injuries that preclude physical training and even limit one’s life outside of the gym.

When a person finds themself on the Gainz Train, healthy, capable, and comfortable in their skin, the best advice is to stay the course. That’s how I see the gym life :+1:

3 Likes

Tue 23rd April - Intensity week 4 (AMRAP)

Squat
Bar x 10
65 x 5
85 x 2
100 x 2
110 x Amrap (242 lbs - coach wanted min 7) - got 8 reps - RPE 9, forearm cramp on rep 4, kept going but was fked by 8.
97.5 x 7 x 5 sets RPE- 8, 9, 9, 8, 9.5
Happy with squats overall, wanted 10 in the amrap but I’ll take 8, still a rep PR.

Bench SS band pull aparts
Bar x 10
65 x 5
80 x 3
90 x Amrap - (198 lbs) got 8 reps - wanted a min 8 and the last one was a grinder.
80 x 7 x 5 sets - RPE 8, 9, 8, 10, 10
Kept rest real short here. Only 5 reps on 4th set, 6 reps on 5th set. Big pump!

Bulgarians
15kg each hand x 10 x 5 sets
Very short rests (30 secs), pump here was painful !!

Push up +15kg
Max x 5 sets -30 (15kg plate fell off my back after 15 reps), 15, 14, 8, 8 then drop weight and 4 more.
Quad cramp kneeling down to do these was a bitch!!

Good session tonight. After squats I was thinking I might just do squats and bench tonight but I had the coaches spreadsheet in my head and the thought of leaving it blank was enough to make me push through to the end.

I think I answered my own question about whether or not I am doing enough. This session was tough and there wasn’t much left at the end. Given my weight loss and being on a deficit for 14 weeks. 8 reps for squat and 8 for bench was solid. 8 reps on squat is a rep PR and the rep form was good. 8 on bench was 1 under my PR for this weight but at a much lower bodyweight so still a good number.

7 Likes

Good work with the squats, smash 10 next week!

Deload next week but seeing as it is week before holiday I might change it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Woke at 80.4kg, despite a big serve of the wife’s homemade lasagna last night I still dropped the weight back. Looks like a heavy squat session does wonder for weight loss !! Will refeed today and also rehydrate a little.

2 Likes

I cannot think of a case where this didn’t help.

Didn’t have a great sleep last night. It is often the case after training because I’m a little hyped up. Last night my quads were locking up and lower back was a little sore.
The strange thing is I feel bloody good today. Legs are sore of course but it’s just a little doms. That may increase tomorrow but for today it’s fine.
I am already really looking forward to training on Friday and getting excited about the AMRAP deadlift set.

2 Likes

How do you determine weight on this set. I mean depending on your weight amrap could mean 10 or 100

The weight is determined by the program. In this case it is 85% of my max. Max is 167.5kg so 142.5kg (rounded to the nearest 2.5kg because my smallest played are 1.25kg).

1 Like

Awesome session Simo.
As you said you’ve been dieting for almost 4 months now so those pr sets is really a win. Quality man.

2 Likes

That sounds terrible but congrats on the PR

1 Like