Simo - The Red Shoe Diaries (Part 1)

I have been posting on here for a little while now so decided it’s time to start a log, not sure how interesting a read it will be but here it i anyway.

Stats:
Male
Height 172cm
Weight 83.1kg (18/4/2017)
Bodyfat 18-20% (guess)

Back ground: Started playing with weights when I was 16, working out 4 days a week with my dad following a typical Weider program. Kept working out fairly consistently though my 20’s following the typical bodybuilding split type routine. At age 30 I weighed 93kg at around 16% body fat and pretty happy with my results, then a year later I moved to Australia and just stopped going to the gym. I don’t know why I stopped but put it down mostly to my focus being on my new job and settling into a new country. After doing not much for 4 years I started running just to get fit and lose my beer gut. Over the past 6 years I have ran over 1000kms every year and did a bunch of fun runs and half marathons. My endurance was the best it had ever been and I lost a lot of weight, but also lost a lot of size and a lot of strength . 12 months ago I weighed 73kg and decided it was time to get back into the gym and work on adding a little size and focus on gaining some strength. I started doing a basic full body routine 2 days a week, the first workout was literally just an Olympic bar and I added 2.5kg a side each week until it got too hard and then added 1.25kg a side per week. 6 months ago I moved onto using a Wendler 531 program and will continue to use that system for all of 2017.

Current Gym Max’s
Squat: 125kg
Bench 110kg
Deadlift 155kg
OH press 70kg

Goals: The goal right now is to get Stronger in the 4 main lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, OH press)

Training Philosophy: I train to make sure I don’t become a Fat Dad. When I talk about being a Fat Dad I am not talking about body fat % or waist measurement, it is about being a dad that CAN. A dad that can run with his kids, play with them, jump, climb, throw things, carry things, build things. It’s about setting a healthy example for my children and always striving to be better.

Current workout plan is based on a version of the wendler 531 program. I will be training 2 days a week, with Squat and Bench Press done together and Deadlift and OH press on the second day. I have just had 2 weeks holiday with no training and am back into the gym this week. My current plan is to do 2 cycles (6 weeks) of 531 with BBB (boring but big) supplemental work. Then I will do 2 cycles of 5’s pro with 5x5 FSL (first set last) for supplemental work. and then finally 1 cycle (3 weeks) of 351 going for rep maxes and adding in some jokers if I feel good. I will do a deload week in there somewhere depending on how I feel. Conditioning will be a mix of walking, weight vest walking, running, sprints, body weight interval training etc (I train at home and dont have access to a sled or a prowler at the moment)
That’s the next 16 weeks of training planned so all I need to do is turn up and work my ass off. All workouts start with doing defranco’s agile 8, I don’t do the foam rolling in the gym as I prefer to do this in front of the telly after a hot shower so its more an agile 5 !! These are followed by 10 box jumps and 10 Ball slams to get me moving.

Feel free to comment, give advise or just say hi.
Rob

5 Likes

Wed 19th April (First work out after 2 weeks in Bali)

30 min walk at lunch time today, it was a beautiful autumn day in Melbourne, the sun was out and there was a cool breeze in the air, All the trees in the city are turning orange and yellow and starting to drop thier leaves which makes for a colourful back drop to a brisk lunchtime walk. 3km including 5 flights of stairs, nice walk.

Evening: Squat and Bench

531 (5’s week)
Training Max’s
Squat: 108kg
Bench: 99kg
Deadlift: 131kg
OH press: 63kg

Usual warm up, agile 5, box jumps x 10, ball slams x 10

Squat - with Ab wheel roll outs between each set.

Warm up Bar x 10, 55 x 5
70 x 5, 80 x 5, 92.5 x 5+ Needed 11 reps for a PR and got 12 happy
55 x 10
55 x 10
Plan is to do BBB, so 5 sets of 10 but was still very tired from my holiday and legs were trashed after 2. Quads were cramping up big time. It never ceases to amaze me how under trained you can get in 2 weeks !!

Ab roll outs 5 5 5 5 5 5 total 30 - This is the first time I have ever done these and I hate them already, which for me means I will definitely be doing these for a long time

Bench - with pull ups between sets

Warm up, 5kg dumbells x 30, 55 x 5
65 x 5, 75 x 5, 85 x 5+ Wanted 11 on the + set but only got 10. Just too damn tired.
Dropped back to a single set of 65 x 8
Should be 5 sets of 10 with 50kg but will start that next week when I am not too tired!

Pull ups 8 8 8

Bent row 65 x 10 reps x 3 superset with
Hammer curls 17.5 x 10 reps x 3

The session was hard tonight, 2 weeks off is great for relaxation but coming back is a shock. I keep the rests pretty short for all my sets so I was properly gassed and dripping sweat all over the garage by the end of this . Legs have DOMS already and it’s not even delayed, lol!!!

Thur 20th April

Just a lunch time walk today the usual 3km loop around the Shrine of Remembrance in the city in Melbourne. Legs were pretty sore as expected so finished off with 8 flights of stairs to get some blood moving through them…damn I hate gravity !!

Here is a pic from my walk today, certainly not a bad place to be.

1 Like

Sat 22 April Deadlift and OH press

Woke up still with doms in my legs this morning. Took my youngest daughter 5 and my son 4 to Auskick this morning (that’s kids Aussie rules footy for those of you from over the pond). 1 hour of running around with my son was the perfect recovery to get some blood moving. I was planning to go to the gym in the late afternoon but then the missed asked me to help my brother in law with moving house. Spent 2 hours moving stuff with him which turned out to be a good warm up. It got everything moving freely and I was already sweaty when I got in the gym at 7pm.

Deadlift with hanging knee raises between sets
Warm up bar x 10, 65 x 5
85 x 5, 97.5 x 5, 110 x 5+ Needed 12 for a rep PR on the + set, got 12 with a couple in the tank so capped it at 12.
85 x 10
85 x 10
Front squat - bar only x 10 x 3 sets
Hanging knee raises 14 14 14 14 14 total 70

OH press - with pull ups between sets
warm up bar x 15
40 x 5, 47.5 x 5, 52.5 x 5+ Needed 12 for a Rep PR and got 12, happy with that
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 10
Pull ups 8 8 8 8 8 8 total 48

Lateral raises superset with hammer curls, 3 sets of :
side 12.5 x 10
Rear 12.5 x 10
Hammer 12.5 x 10

tonights workout was totally different to the other night. I was fired up and and the weights moved nice and smooth. Legs feel great after the front squats and getting some blood through them. I am a Happy Boy :wink:

In for this!

1 Like

Tue 25th April ANZAC Day

Squat and bench 3’s week

Usual warm up, agile 5, 10 box jumps, 10
Ball slams.

Squat

Squat with Ab wheel roll outs between sets
Warm up Bar x 10, 55 x 5
Main work
75 x 3, 87.5 x 3, 97.5 kg x 3+ Needed 10 for a Rep PR on the + set and got 10, the last rep was a grinder !! Happy all the reps were deep and speed was good on all other than the last 2 reps
BBB sets
55 x 10 fast reps
55 x 10 paused reps
55 x 10 fast reps
55 x 10 paused reps
55 x 10 fast reps
Ab roll outs 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 total 40

Bench -with pull ups between sets

Warm up, Bar x 15, 55 x 5
Main work 70 x 3, 80 x 3, 90kg x 3+ Got 9 reps in then + set which equals my rep PR with this weight
50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 10
All sets done fast
Pull ups 8 8 8 8 8 8 6 total 54

3 sets of Bent row 65 x 10 superset with
Hammer curls 17.5 x 12

I was feeling a bit dizzy an hour before training, I think maybe I didn’t eat enough today. Had a black coffee with some sugar in it 30 mins before training and that did the trick. A good workout tonight, happy with my squats and bench moved OK. Really enjoying the BBB volume, great leg and chest pump.

1 Like

Nice work! BBB is a lot of fun. I’m considering using for my leader next year.

Yes higher reps with a lighter weight and moving the bar fast is certainly fun.

1 Like

Whilst I am trying not to be a Fat Dad I am not specifically worried about looks more about performance. I am so glad that is the case because my amazing misses spend an hour yesterday making some Pork Gyoza’s yesterday and they were soooooo good it was hard to stop eating them. I have no idea how many I ate but it was a lot. Had them with rice and green beans with soy and sweet chilli sauce for dipping.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you Simo! They look delicious.

I noticed Homer has lost his beer and gained a dumbbell… Dunno how much Mr Simpson would appreciate that :sweat_smile:

Very observant of you my friend. I decided that after 1 year of consistent training this Simpson has finally got more iron in his biceps than beer !!!

2 Likes

No training for me yesterday, had some blood taken in the morning and was surprised how bruised my arm was after. It still feels a little swollen and bruised today, I think I need to take a teaspoon of concrete and HTFU !! So last night decided to just do some active recovery in front of the TV whilst watching the Worlds strongest man finals from 2005. Foam rolled my legs and back for 20 mins then did some push ups and body weight squats to flush some blood through the legs and chest. I felt nice and loose afterwards and no soreness today so it looks like it did the job. It was cool watching Mariusz Pudzianowski win his third WSM tittle where he came from lost place after the first event to win before the last event. 2005 was the year I moved to Australia so it bought back a lot of memories ,WSM airs between Christmas and the New year in the UK with the final being in New years day, this is something my dad and I always used to watch together right back from the Geoff Capes days.

1 Like

Those look amazing!!!

Thanks man, they were damn good. That is the benefit of having a good woman who is at home looking after the kids and who’s passion is good food and cooking. She loves finding tasty new things to make and I sure as hell love trying it all !!! Last night was slow cooked Jamaican Jerk Chicken but I didn’t take any pics cause I ate it too quick !!

2 Likes

Was planning on a walk at lunch time today but the autumn weather has turned to winter and it was lashing down with rain. So decided to just walk the stairs in my building instead, walked up 18 floors and the 18 back down. It took a little over 10 mins and resulted in me being hot a sweaty with a good amount of blood in the quads. Not as good as a 3km walk but better than sitting on my butt !!

Friday 28th April Deadlift and OH press 3’s week

Usual warm up, agile 5, box jumps x 10, ball slams x 10

Deadlift - with hanging knee raise between sets
Warm up Bar x 10, 65 x 5
92.5 x 3, 105 x 3, 117.5kg x 3+ Needed 14 for a rep PR and got 15. At rep 13 started getting an intense head pain like a pressure head ache, got worse for the last three reps and floored me when I finished the set. Had to rest 5 mins for it to go away!!
65 x 10
65 x 10
Hanging knee raise 14 14 14 14 14 14 14 total 94

OH press with pull ups between sets
Warm up - Bar x 10
45 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5kg x 3+ Need 11 for a rep Pr and got 12, last 4 with a bit of leg drive but still happy
32.5 x 10
32.5 x 10
32.5 x 10
32.5 x 10
32.5 x 10
All the BBB sets moved fast, good shoulder and tricep pump.
Pull ups 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 total 40

Lateral raises superset with hammer curls, 3 sets of -
side 8kg x 10
Rear 8kg x 10
Hammer 8kg x 12

Happy with the workout overall, deadlift moved quick and easy and grip was solid despite some bad forearm bruising from when I got blood taken earlier in the week. (I’ll put a pic up next time I’m on the laptop). I could have done without the headache but it didn’t stop me getting the work done.

2 Likes

Agile 5?

Same as defranco agile 8 but I don’t do the foam rolling in the gym so it’s an agile 5 :wink:

2 Likes

Got to love DL headaches. Also DL induced dizziness.

1 Like

So here is the bruising from my blood test on Wednesday. This pic was taken on Friday, it has since gotten a little blacker but i think its starting to fade. The forearm is still sore though. I rekon the nurse nicked the vein or an artery when she pulled the needle out and it bled a little under the skin and gravity did the rest !!

1 Like