'Silly' Lifting Rituals

I have a few

1. When I do powercleans or deads off the platform EVERYTHING has to be symmetrical. Distance from the plates sitting on the rubber to the wood pannel on each side, the bar has to be two planks ahead of my toes wich are line up on the same plank. It’s awful.

2. Not unlike beans, I clunk DB’s together, only twice though, reminding me of the duel in 13th Warrior. Totally gay.

3. I don’t do behind the neck squats. I do Zerchers. There is only one song I listen to when I’m doing Zerchers.

It’s “Anyway You Want It” by Journey.

So I have to fast forward the previous song (Sabbaths War Pigs) until there’s about 20 seconds left, that’s the time I use to set up. I’m locked into the bar and ready to go by the time the song begins with

“A-ny way you want it!”

And I pop the bar out of the carriages during

“Th-ats the way you need it!”

Every time. For every set.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
3. I don’t do behind the neck squats. I do Zerchers. There is only one song I listen to when I’m doing Zerchers.

It’s “Anyway You Want It” by Journey.

So I have to fast forward the previous song (Sabbaths War Pigs) until there’s about 20 seconds left, that’s the time I use to set up. I’m locked into the bar and ready to go by the time the song begins with

“A-ny way you want it!”

And I pop the bar out of the carriages during

“Th-ats the way you need it!”

Every time. For every set.[/quote]

Holy shit. I didn’t realize I do this as well. It’s so much a part of me I failed to see it as unusual.
I have 3 metal songs I lift to. But there are only certain parts of those songs that “do it” for me. I’m constantly starting, re-starting and timing out everything so it all coincides with the beginning of my sets. I mostly do it unconsciously now, but some days the “dedication” of incessantly keeping that shit up almost makes me want to skip a workout.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

Not to be nosey but are you a pretty mellow person outside of the gym?
[/quote]

Yes and no. Driving, no I’m wound up.

It really depends on a lot of stuff.

I have to go for a piss before a max set of anything.
On squat day I’ll put on ‘Just Because You Sleep Next to Me Doesn’t Mean You’re Safe’ by Gallows.
There’s a couple of lines where it’s sounds like he’s screaming “Squatting Never Ruined You” which I’ll repeat to myself in time with the music all the way back from the urinal to the rack.

The actual lyrics are a bit more disturbing -

e.g.

Pour some petrol
Through your letter box
Put all my memories
In an envelope
Then set it on fire
Then send it straight to you

Good song though.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I amp myself up like a motherfucker… Then dance around like a fairy to bring myself back down to calm. Because if I go at it too fired up my form loosens up too much.

I ALWAYS tap the DB’s together 3 times while they rest on my knees before the set.

[/quote]

I watched a couple of your vids and you are definetly one wound up accountant lol. You bounce and mutter…I approve of this method.

[/quote]

TBH most accountants are wound up, stressed out and generally unhappy individuals.

I wear the same red beanie hat.

Cross/hit forearms with texanbadass.

Tab the dumbbells/rotate the barbell.

Do it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I amp myself up like a motherfucker… Then dance around like a fairy to bring myself back down to calm. Because if I go at it too fired up my form loosens up too much.

I ALWAYS tap the DB’s together 3 times while they rest on my knees before the set.

[/quote]

I watched a couple of your vids and you are definetly one wound up accountant lol. You bounce and mutter…I approve of this method.

[/quote]

TBH most accountants are wound up, stressed out and generally unhappy individuals.
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much, except I’m not unhappy, I am happy in general. I like my job and my career, but it is stressful often.

I HAVE to take a shit right before I workout on leg days. I feel like if I don’t clear the tank, then the struggle in the squat rack may end very badly.

When doing deadlifts I grip the bar then slide it back and fourth and back and fourth until I’m ready to pull.

For most of my heavy lifts I think about all the boxing matches I’ve lost or sparring sessions that I’ve gotten schooled and tell myself that if I wanna be better then them I gotta train harder then them. That usually amps me pretty good before a big lift.

Yeah, pretty much, except I’m not unhappy, I am happy in general. I like my job and my career, but it is stressful often.[/quote]

Stressful jobs wear you down, but am I the only one who has a greater sense of purpose when the job is stressful? Like I feel like I’m really doing something with my day, instead of the lax days where it seems like my day had absolutely no impact on the world.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ll sometimes reposition my hands several times, always measuring just where my pinkies fall along the ‘ring’ of the barbell until I’m convinced it’s in the perfect spot. Then before unracking the bar (on pressing movements), I’ll rock back and forth a bit, pulling myself off the bench with my back muscles a few times, and slamming back down to get myself ‘in the right mindframe’ -lol.

S[/quote]

this is what i do, i always clink the bells together before pressing movements. i do the song thing as well, i put on slipknots left behind when am doing squats.

i do what andrew does and take a shit before i train just in case.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much, except I’m not unhappy, I am happy in general. I like my job and my career, but it is stressful often.[/quote]

But it’s not your money, what are you stressed about!/jk

You guys who rotate the bar would be pretty pissed at my gym, out of the five bars there, three are bent and there is no sweet spot… just one spot. Which is suprising seeing as I never see anyone lift heavy at all including me lol.

Sometime ago someone had a link here where a guy was getting a blowjay while benching, some kind of game show, now that’s my kind of ritual.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
I HAVE to take a shit right before I workout on leg days. I feel like if I don’t clear the tank, then the struggle in the squat rack may end very badly.

When doing deadlifts I grip the bar then slide it back and fourth and back and fourth until I’m ready to pull.

For most of my heavy lifts I think about all the boxing matches I’ve lost or sparring sessions that I’ve gotten schooled and tell myself that if I wanna be better then them I gotta train harder then them. That usually amps me pretty good before a big lift.

Stressful jobs wear you down, but am I the only one who has a greater sense of purpose when the job is stressful? Like I feel like I’m really doing something with my day, instead of the lax days where it seems like my day had absolutely no impact on the world.
[/quote]

in regards to the part about jobs, you’re right i agree with you. if you didnt do anything just sat at home, youd wanna hang your self after about 3 months.

Before squatting I always bounce a little on my calves then get under the bar and then extend one leg out onto the base off the squat rack, pause, return. Do the other leg, pause, return. Squat.

Similarly on the leg press I’ll be fully loaded, sit down on the machine, then extend one leg horizontally out underneath the weight unit, pause, return. Do the other leg, pause, return. Press.

I’m also OCD on barbell stuff and always make sure the barbell is exactly centered on the rack. Then I grip with both hands touching in the middle and move them out simultaneously until I reach the smooth line typically with my middle finger so that I know everything is precise.

Set my hands on the bar to squat, set my feet, pull myself to the bar three times, get under, get tight.

Look at each side of the bar, back bend onto the bench, set my hands, dig myself into it pushing against the bar.

Deadlift, shake my shoulders like I’m trying to get curled back into a suit, even when raw. A little bit of pop n lock.

Deadlift - I do a jig (yes I said jig). Look down do a chant in my head and do a little texas 2 step then put on my game face. Left palm up, right palm down half squat and go.

Bench- Sit. Head down Chant, Head Up Tribal Yell and GO

Squat- Hand on bar Grip tight like the bench, Roll shoulders back head down shake the bar 2-3times, Tribal YELL-GO

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Set my hands on the bar to squat, set my feet, pull myself to the bar three times, get under, get tight.

Look at each side of the bar, back bend onto the bench, set my hands, dig myself into it pushing against the bar.

Deadlift, shake my shoulders like I’m trying to get curled back into a suit, even when raw. A little bit of pop n lock.[/quote]

These don’t seem silly at all… I’d pay good money to see teh pop-n-lock though

More often then not,I would slightly grab onto the bar or dumbell and roll my palms againts the rough spots until im good and ready.

^That what she said.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
^That what she said.[/quote]

Using “that what she said” on your own post is lame.

1. Bang my chest into the bar right before I set up for any squat. Hands on the bar, pull myself in for the chest/bar bump, get into it.

2. Between deadlift sets I kick my feet back and forth like they’re in hot sand. I picked this up in high school playing volleyball in the sand. Had to kick it around so the bottom of my feet wouldn’t burn. Now I do it during pretty much any activity that requires concentration, including raquetball and indoor volleyball. I’m sure it looks goofy, but I don’t think I could stop it if I tried.

3. I tell myself, “Tight! Tight!” before every heavy lift.

4. When I do deadlift singles, I tell myself to “Throw it through the ceiling.”

My rep counts can never be prime numbers…