'Silly' Lifting Rituals

Mine:

1. Have a lucky pair of bright red almost knee high socks for deadlifting that say ‘K-Dawg’ on the side
  2. Talk to myself constantly before a lift; i.e. mini conversations “Are you a pussy boy?” “No I’m not a pussy” “I’m not a fucking pussy” repeated just as I step to the bar (get some funny looks for that one)

i have some but my mind refuses to let me explain it, or its this hangover i cant tell.

lol, this is going to be good!

IDK why but I developed the habit of pointing in the stannds and blowings kisses to my girl in high school during wrestling/football comps…It carried over to the weight room.

But now its just me blowing kisses and pointing at randoms spots on the wall in front of me

Gripping and letting go on the bar way too many times before I lift, kinda ocd-ish.

[quote]Abou wrote:
Gripping and letting go on the bar way too many times before I lift, kinda ocd-ish.[/quote]

This. I keep going to start, and then stand off. Back again, stand off. You just have to find that little moment in time when your mind forgets to scream “don’t do it son! it’ll only hurt” - when that vacancy arrives I grip and let loose.

Other than that, I just create a hypothetical situation i.e. imagine someone’s got your girl hostage - if you complete the full set she’ll live, if you don’t do it, she gets shot.

I have to load the bar with the plates facing in.
Before heavy lifts i ask myself why am I doing this.

[quote]Defiance wrote:
I have to load the bar with the plates facing in.
Before heavy lifts i ask myself why am I doing this.[/quote]

Well that’s obvious: To keep the power inside the bar.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]Abou wrote:
Gripping and letting go on the bar way too many times before I lift, kinda ocd-ish.[/quote]

This. I keep going to start, and then stand off. Back again, stand off. You just have to find that little moment in time when your mind forgets to scream “don’t do it son! it’ll only hurt” - when that vacancy arrives I grip and let loose.

Other than that, I just create a hypothetical situation i.e. imagine someone’s got your girl hostage - if you complete the full set she’ll live, if you don’t do it, she gets shot.[/quote]

exactly, it’s especially bad if someones spotting you and I keep getting close to start but then stop, they don’t know what’s going on but I can’t stop myself, but like you said there’s always that window of opportunity to lift, but don’t let it slip otherwise it takes like a minute to come back lol

I’ll sometimes reposition my hands several times, always measuring just where my pinkies fall along the ‘ring’ of the barbell until I’m convinced it’s in the perfect spot. Then before unracking the bar (on pressing movements), I’ll rock back and forth a bit, pulling myself off the bench with my back muscles a few times, and slamming back down to get myself ‘in the right mindframe’ -lol.

S

I pretend I’m the Hulk for that moment just before a set.

lol

Bite the bar.

I have socks that I wear on leg day only. I also touch my forhead to the middle of the bar just before I get under the bar for squats. When I set up for a DL I always quickly raise both arms up like I’m being held up at gunpoint then lean over and set-up. I don’t speak out loud at all but I do mutter things like “one good rep fucker” or something like that. Silly?..yes lol.

I imagine the more serious one becomes in lifting sports and competes the more bizarre they get. Plus I think there is a differance between a ritual and getting a good set-up routine down so you can just lift, not worrying about what socks your wearing lol.

I rotate the bar until I find a comfortable grip. Makes no sense because the bar is uniform around. Just looking for that sweet spot.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I rotate the bar until I find a comfortable grip. Makes no sense because the bar is uniform around. Just looking for that sweet spot.[/quote]
i do this too. i’ll always bend my wrists forward, grab the bar, and then rotate it until i find the “right” angle. i’m also ocd about the symetry of my hand placement and am constantly rechecking it much like stu mentioned.

I amp myself up like a motherfucker… Then dance around like a fairy to bring myself back down to calm. Because if I go at it too fired up my form loosens up too much.

I ALWAYS tap the DB’s together 3 times while they rest on my knees before the set.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I amp myself up like a motherfucker… Then dance around like a fairy to bring myself back down to calm. Because if I go at it too fired up my form loosens up too much.

I ALWAYS tap the DB’s together 3 times while they rest on my knees before the set.

[/quote]

I watched a couple of your vids and you are definetly one wound up accountant lol. You bounce and mutter…I approve of this method.

Not to be nosey but are you a pretty mellow person outside of the gym?

I slap my hands on the ground before I lift. Stare myself down in the mirror. Mutter obscenities usually in the form of swear+genital…EX: FUCKIN TWAT! COCK! FUCKIN PUSSY! YOU-FUCKING-COCK!..TWAT!

I never started doing the swearing gentiles thing until I watched the whole ‘Spartacus: Blood and Sand’ series.

I’m with TheDudeAbides and iamthewolf about rotating the bar for teh sweet spot.

Set the hands, stomp twice and it’s go time.

I still toe tap to “knock the dirt out of my cleats” before lifts.

Yelling “yeah buddy”, “lets gooo, lets do dis”, “gotta get geeked”, “ain’t nothin but a peanut” and “lightweight” before a lift. haha not me tho…its big ron coleman…