Signs of Aging

So, I have caught myself thinking about - nay, at times enamored with - certain things that I would not have thought about a few years back.

For instance, I love to cook and have been looking at knife sets. I told my parents I want a washer/dryer and a badass knife set as housewarming gifts.

This thought would not have crossed my mind two years ago. It’s scaring me.

I also went to the mall a few months ago with my mother and sister and saw what were two 19 year olds dressed like skanks. I immediately thought, “If my daughter dresses like that I will throw her under a fucking bus.” It actually bothered me and I am nowhere near settling down and starting a family.

Anyone else going through this?

No mid-life crisis yet, I promise…hopefully when it does hit me, I’ll have deep enough pockets to buy a Nissan GT-R in different colors, one for each day of the week.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Anyone else going through this?[/quote]

Yep.

Maybe you should buy your Washer/Dryer and knife set for yourself. Santa and your parents say fuck you.

I turn 46 today, so HELL YEAH I’m feelin’ it.

How old are you?

I’ve always been thinking practically so I understand the washer/dryer/knives-part.

I’ve also been thinking about childrens psychology and how to raise a kid to make it get happy and reach its maximum potential. I belive that has gotten to my mind since one of my brothers, and my sister, both have gotten kids now… And I do see some flaws in their way of handling them, which makes me think about how to avoid doing the same mistakes.
Too bad to be thinking about kids at 21 years old, but I cant help it…

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I turn 46 today, so HELL YEAH I’m feelin’ it.[/quote]

Happy birthday!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I turn 46 today, so HELL YEAH I’m feelin’ it.[/quote]

Yes, happy birthday!

I swing between feeling too young for my age and feeling too old for my age. I think I will probably crawl into bed and not leave for a week when I turn 30.

I feel like I should be more advanced in my career, but then I remind myself that everyone I work with is at least 10 years older than me. I haven’t started getting gray hair yet, but I do sometimes wander around and think I should stop smiling, to avoid the wrinkles that seem to be creeping up on my face…

This guy at the gym called me “sir”.

At the gym.

While lifting weights in a tank top.

I wasn’t aware anyone but senior citizens got called “sir” at the gym unless it is coming from the girl at the front desk upon greeting you.

I’m the opposite. I get the sense that I feel and act younger than I am. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but sometimes it’s embarrassing when people are surprised that I am 28 instead of 21 or 22. It’s mostly aesthetic, I look young, but it doesn’t help that I’m an undergraduate student.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
How old are you?

I’ve always been thinking practically so I understand the washer/dryer/knives-part.

I’ve also been thinking about childrens psychology and how to raise a kid to make it get happy and reach its maximum potential. I belive that has gotten to my mind since one of my brothers, and my sister, both have gotten kids now… And I do see some flaws in their way of handling them, which makes me think about how to avoid doing the same mistakes.
Too bad to be thinking about kids at 21 years old, but I cant help it…[/quote]

Hehe. I remember being the same way about raising kids. The truth is, you can plan and scheme all you want, but until you actually have kids of your own, you just can’t understand the nuances of raising them. They aren’t rats in an experiment and each kid has different buttons that motivate them.

Combine this with the dynamics (pressures) of your relationship with the other parent, your job, extended family, etc (God forbid one of your kids has special needs), and sometimes you find yourself forgetting everything you’ve learned and planned for. All I can say is nothing is a more appropriate application of “until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes…” than being a parent of multiple kids.

OP, I’m in the thick of your thinking right now. I often think of practical things BEFORE fun things. Sometimes, I even want to sleep more than have sex (gasp). That’s life.

DB

I’ll be 55 in a few days.

I still do the same things I did when I was 21, except maybe a little slower and lighter.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
I’m the opposite. I get the sense that I feel and act younger than I am.[/quote]

I hear that. I turn 40 in 2.5 weeks and I still act like a teenager with friends in terms of topics of conversation, types of jokes and sophomoric comments. On the bright side, I don’t have to break out my wallet to fish out an id when entering a bar or buying booze.

DB

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
I turn 46 today, so HELL YEAH I’m feelin’ it.

Yes, happy birthday!

I swing between feeling too young for my age and feeling too old for my age. I think I will probably crawl into bed and not leave for a week when I turn 30.

I feel like I should be more advanced in my career, but then I remind myself that everyone I work with is at least 10 years older than me. I haven’t started getting gray hair yet, but I do sometimes wander around and think I should stop smiling, to avoid the wrinkles that seem to be creeping up on my face…[/quote]

Hm. I had you pegged somewhere between 30-35.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
sluicy wrote:
I’m the opposite. I get the sense that I feel and act younger than I am.

I hear that. I turn 40 in 2.5 weeks and I still act like a teenager with friends in terms of topics of conversation, types of jokes and sophomoric comments. On the bright side, I don’t have to break out my wallet to fish out an id when entering a bar or buying booze.

DB[/quote]

And I had you pegged in your twenties. Strange.

Happy birthday, Iron Dwarf!

May your Wacom Pen never lose it’s sharpness.

Oh, and stay healthy and strong, too!

-Schwarzfahrer

Nothing wrong with getting older.

As long as I will not be looked as weird for going out as often as I do.

Ohh yeah happy b-day!!

Abe Simpson: “I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was. Now, what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me.”

old farther time is one crewel SOB.

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
Maybe you should buy your Washer/Dryer and knife set for yourself. Santa and your parents say fuck you.[/quote]

Santa couldn’t get a gig in Reno with his mug plastered on MegansLaw.com, and my parents owe me their souls for the time I bought them a Logitech universal remote and spent a solid 6 hours configuring the fucking thing; now, they can toss out the other 5 remotes and control everything with the Logitech except their own volume when they argue with each other.

Besides, I’m the oldest. I get to call such shots.

Happy Birthday Iron Dwarf, Yo Momma & Dollarbill!

And yeah, Ponce, this subject is on my mind a lot! At 43 there are very few other women my age around here who are into picking up heavy things & punching people. Consequently, I’m often the old lady in the group. I don’t feel it, but I see changes in my face & skin that freak me out. My body, however, has never been stonger or faster, so I’m loving that, especially when I outperform people way younger than me. Hee hee!

A while ago my parents asked if I had thought of what I would name my first son and daughter. I told them I’d name my first girl after my mom and give my son a name I had wished they’d given me.

My father asks, “Well, what about me? You’re not going to name one of your boys after me?”

“No, your name is common.”

He did not talk to me for the rest of the day. Again, I’m not old enough to be too worried about starting a family, but they are old enough to be wanting grandkids within a few years.