T Nation

*Sigh* Another Bill Starr's 5X5 Question

I'll keep it simple - as I know this topic has been beaten many times. I couldn't find any specific findings for my query, though.

Here is: With iffy shoulders, I'd really like to use DB benching instead of BB, but it doesn't seem like I can track the same kind of linear progress.

Will DBs screw the program up, and I should just suck it up?

Thanks in advance.

i dont have the expertise to say whether you can use DB’s or not, but from my own experience, I felt that the standing military presses really strengthened my core (abs and lower back mostly) which carried over to all of my other lifts and my strength in general

[quote]youngblood52 wrote:
i dont have the expertise to say whether you can use DB’s or not, but from my own experience, I felt that the standing military presses really strengthened my core (abs and lower back mostly) which carried over to all of my other lifts and my strength in general[/quote]

what is this answering exactly?

I don’t see any problem with it, typically programs are made to be kept the same but a minor change like doing DB bench as opposed to BB bench would be fine imo.

Of course you can. It helps to have those magnetic platemates so you don’t always have to raise the load by 5lb increments.

Why can’t you just test your 5RM or whatever and enter that weight into the spreadsheet?

DB bench will not screw the program up, long as you keep to basic movements your gold. I’ve subbed front squats, zerchers, overhead squats,& decline bench, all with great success. Just like youngoldguy said plug your 5rm in the spreadsheet & go. I would round down to the nearest 5 if you don’t have access to the magnetic thingys.

Sweet - the replies are appreciated. I’m thinking about just ordering some of the Plate Mates… might as well to help the linear strength gains up and consistant on the program.

I know the protocol asks for incline presses or military presses, which I’ve pretty much eliminated from my workouts because of rotator cuff issues, so I just wanted to try and preserve my shoulders as well as I can. I suppose a caloric surplus will help now, though. :slight_smile:

And yes, of course I’m using the spreadsheet!

I’m sure you’re not skipping out on this, but make sure you’re doing some shoulder prehab and rehab.