T Nation

Side Raise Question


#1

When I do side raises, I unintentionally ALWAYS shrug so I don't feel it in my side delts but in my traps and front delts...

Doing the motion lying, Would it hit the posterior delts instead of the side delts? I know it says side delts, but isn't doing it that way almost like a bent over raise?


#2

[quote]GetBigs wrote:
When I do side raises, I unintentionally ALWAYS shrug so I don’t feel it in my side delts but in my traps and front delts…[/quote]
One cue that can help avoid shrugging is to think of pushing the weights out or reaching towards the walls as you do the lateral. You could also try one-arm leaning laterals to be a little more strict more consciously avoid the shrug.

Lying on your side or stomach will be more rear delt because that’s the muscle that’s lined up to work against gravity. It’d be the same motion/line of pull as a reverse pec-deck.


#3

You should shrug downwards/ depress your scapula while you raise the dumbbells.


#4

you could also try lowering the weight you use.
I noticed that i had this same problem, lowering the weight i use solved the problem instantly.


#5

delts in a bottle…


#6

if you always shrug then the weight is too heavy and you’re cheating to get it up


#7

[quote]Yogi wrote:
if you always shrug then the weight is too heavy and you’re cheating to get it up[/quote]

That’s something no one’s mentioned before - laterals aren’t meant to be used with heavy weight. Making a light weight feel hard is the trick.


#8

Another good tweak…


#9

[quote]Books wrote:
you could also try lowering the weight you use.
I noticed that i had this same problem, lowering the weight i use solved the problem instantly. [/quote]

That would be my first move, if you are compensating by shrugging it then its just too heavy. I have some pretty big shoulders and I rarely do raises with anything over 40lbs