T Nation

Side Press

Ok, these aren’t a new exercise to me in the sense of “I just found about them”, but I was reading on another good website and thought, “Huh, I ought to try those. They might be good in my quest for bigger/stronger shoulders” So off to the spare bedroom I go to get a db. I just load up a light 32 pounds. I know it is a complicated lift, so I just want to try to work the mechanics of it. I did 5 reps my first set. Not really taxing in regard to weight, but I can tell that I’ll have to keep an eye on my body position.

I did another 5-6 sets of five. Taking long breaks between sets. Do a set. Sit at the computer and read and article. Do another set. My conclusion; these will definately find there way into wednesday’s workout. I’m going to replace my normal seated overhead db presses for 5x5 with side presses 5x5.

Please, let me know of your opinion of this lift if you’ve tried it before. I know that I can’t be the only one who has tried it.

It is a great lift that I use often. One of the real benefits of the drill is that it teaches you how to incorporate your lat into pressing which is very important. Also a great exercise for you core.

Mike Mahler

Ditch the DB and grab a sandbag about 1/2 the weight of the DB. Go to bed early, don’t get out of bed for at least 2 days. Then apologize to your body for making it do that. If your body forgives you, try 1 hand warrior lunges. As you lunge press the sandbag overhead. Go to bed early, etc. etc. You know the routine.

TNT

[quote]Mike Mahler wrote:
It is a great lift that I use often. One of the real benefits of the drill is that it teaches you how to incorporate your lat into pressing which is very important. Also a great exercise for you core.

Mike Mahler [/quote]

How do you incorporate the Lats into a shoulder press movement? Just wondering if I’m missing something here as this seems very counter intuitive given that the function of the Lats is to primarely pull the upper arm from an overhead position, downwards.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Mike Mahler wrote:

Mike Mahler

How do you incorporate the Lats into a shoulder press movement? Just wondering if I’m missing something here as this seems very counter intuitive given that the function of the Lats is to primarely pull the upper arm from an overhead position, downwards.

[/quote]

You have to use lats also, when try to put really heavy weight overhead when you are standing (lats keep upper torso stiff and balanced). Especially jerking, pushpressing or militarypressing with barbbell.

I’m not good push/militarypresser, 'cause I always done much more shoulder seated dumbbellpresses (so I can use much more weight with seated dmbls, than militarypress)… maybe I had to learn using lats and sidepressing too!