Side Effects of Sauna Post-Workout?

hey.
Is there any detrimental side effect of using the sauna after you workout? And I mean detrimental in the sense that it works against you gaining weight because thats my goal as of right now…

after every workout my guess would be yes…your dehydrating yourself in there so make sure to get plenty of electrolytes and fluids and you should be fine.

oh and have a protein shake or something between the workout and the sauna or your just eating more muscle chillen in there when your body is hungry :wink:

Not sure where i read this but it’s bad to go into the sauna after weight training and good after cardio!

I say Forgo the sauna unless you enjoy sitting in a swealtering stifling room teaming with bacteria and the company of naked men.

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:
I say Forgo the sauna unless you enjoy sitting in a swealtering stifling room teaming with bacteria and the company of naked men.[/quote]

Truth. I am not sure why so many fat men think the key to losing all of that weight is by sitting still and sweating.

Saunas have a place if you are trying to make weight and need to drop that last 5lbs, but outside of that, I don’t understand the appeal. They aren’t magic.

Much like those people who look like they are wearing hefty bags so they can sweat more, sweat alone does not mean you got leaner.

A pro football player could lose 10lbs during one game. That doesn’t mean the immediate weight lost was due to mostly body fat being burned.

I find the sauna comforting after a nasty training session. My body and joints hurt pretty good due to workout intensity. I’ll drop a bottle of gatorade and a whey shake before I go into the sauna and relax… JUst so long your muscles get fed immediately post workout, you’ll be okay…

I doubt it will kill ya, but why the hell are you worrying about shit like that? Jeez, live a little.

Get some protein and gatorade like an above poster said and relax.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Saunas work to directly inhibit recovery of muscular microtrauma, by increasing inflammation as well as diverting blood away from the intestines (where it’s needed to absorb PWO nutrients) to the skin for cooling purposes.

It also takes a lot of energy to keep yourself cool, energy that you need to build muscle.

IMO saunas have NO place post workout unless you are just a casual lifter/exerciser.

Ice baths, yes, saunas, no.

BBB[/quote]

WTF!! Everything that feels good sucks…

Teehee, unintentional funny

Saunas work to directly inhibit recovery of muscular microtrauma, by increasing inflammation as well as diverting blood away from the intestines (where it’s needed to absorb PWO nutrients) to the skin for cooling purposes.

It also takes a lot of energy to keep yourself cool, energy that you need to build muscle.

IMO saunas have NO place post workout unless you are just a casual lifter/exerciser.

BBB[/quote]

science scmience, fancy words n all but i doubt that the impact is THAT significant. especially if youre only in there for like 15 mins.

BBB[/quote]

^^ Could possibly be right. Then again, I never have a problem gaining strength and size, and I hit up the sauna 3 times a week for 30 minute sessions. Maybe I should stop for a month and see if my gains are quicker? Hmmmmm…

i failed to mention further details, sorry… I’m in the sauna for approx. 10 minutes, i bring my PWO shake in there with me, 85g carb from gatorade and 50 g optimum whey along with glycine, leucine, and glutamine… In between my PWO shake and my meal after i drink a 16.9 oz bottle of ice cold water… The main reason I use the sauna is to sweat since its good for my pores seeing that i have acne everywhere, is there any truth to the fact it “purifies” your skin?

P.S no one gets naked in my sauna hahaha