SicTorn's Legs....

Adding sand running could make your problem worst,I used to have the same problem,I supersetted calf raises with DARD,run only on grass,and started using the Romanov Pose method of running and it eally helped. Also variety of intensity and plenty of stretch after run will help to recover.
Hope this help,good luck with your test.

i seem to get them onece we start running alot for football. i just keep running, then it eventually goes away. sometimes taking a week off will help but they eventually go away

Sorry to hear that your legs are in a runner’s funk -
as a former distance runner, my advice to you (and ANYONE else who runs) is to get into running as gradually as possible - all dimensions - frequency, intensity, duration.

Warm ups/cool downs are super important, regardless of the distance/pace you are running. A 5-10 minute walk/light jog really helps to develop the fore/aft movement comfortably, rather than breaking into a run after hours of sitting at a desk, or in a car.

I have always done best with an on/on/off/on/off type schedule, cross trianing on most off days. Anything you can do to stimulate lateral movement in your hips will help to keep your SI joints more limber - SI joint displacement is the cause of a seeeerious variety of problems manifest as detectable symptoms only in secondary sites such as knees, ankles, shins. My SIJD has decreased significantly since I started a major stretching and trianing program put together by my chiropractor - adjustments really help as well.

For me it was shin splints, turned stress fractures plus a torn soleus and finally compartment symdrome. 2 surgeries later, I am slowwwwly regaining strength to compete at a level comparable to before (although I haven’t been able to run a significant distance in about 8 months - sport scholarships and injury can’t get along either.) Moral: get a lock on your aches while they are still non-issues!

as mentioned above. RICE is imperative!!!
If you have the luxury to do so, going to see a Dr who can analyze your gait and efficiency is always a great way to be preventative and informed about how your body performs.

If you need them - get heel lifts, orthotics or whatever makes you feel most confident in your stride. Heel lifts are awesome if your pain comes from calf/anterior compartments.

Hope you find some good advice in any of these threads… good luck!

Hmmm… I think I need to examine them to give an honest opinion.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:
I now have a ridiculous amount of pain in my legs after every run.

How do I make the pain go away and how do I avoid it in the future?

Any suggestions are much appreciated![/quote]

Increase the pain threshold, teach the mind to love the splint. you gotta get a little crazy. OOOHHH YEEAAAHH

ps

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
You also could have started out a bit hard on the distance/volume. How long have you been training run specific.

What distance or what specifically are you traiing for in the test.[/quote]

I did start out too hard on the distance and volume. I went from running once a week or so to three miles every other day. This test was kind of last minute actually, I didn’t decide until three weeks ago to do it.

I’m training for a 300 meter sprint and a mile and a half run. I’m where I need to be but I think I was pushing a little harder than necessary because I need to be able to easily run 6 miles if I do get in to the academy.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback, I really appreciate your suggestions.